Author Topic: tip ups at night anyone?  (Read 662 times)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
tip ups at night anyone?
« on: Dec 12, 2021, 11:23 AM »
i dont see anyone else setting out flags at night around here.  is it done on your lakes?  predators still feed at night, any nighttime crappie guy will tell ya about bite-offs from pike.  not just pike but bass eyes cats........feed at night. 

this is a little glow stick rig that helps get noticed.

main line
three way swivel to leader
small plastic tube over the side threeway loop, with glow stick poked into it
leader down to hook n bait

your thoughts?

this rig came about many years ago from our crappie fishing at night.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: tip ups at night anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2021, 11:31 AM »
I do put a spread out at night and I use glow hooks and glow beads.
I also wrapped silver reflective tape around the top of the mast and a mini flag of red reflective tape just below the flag. I shine a light over the spread, I easily see every trap and if the red is over the silver, its time to go get the fish, red below the silver, back to jigging! Cheap and works very well.

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2021, 11:34 AM »
Looks pretty nifty, I plan on doing a few pike overnights this year might give this a shot.  Beats charging glow tubes and such every 20 min.  This might be a killer setup for burbot as well.  might have to toss a hook on the glow stick though.  I also picked up a few tip up lights from frabil, not to expensive and seem to work good.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2021, 12:01 PM »
you could easily add a line and hook sticking out the glow stick tube.  i dont have burbot here but i bet they would smash it! 

many times with crappie fishing this rig it was the only rig to get bit when it just started to get dark.  after it got darker the tamer glow of glow jig only rigs were hotter.  not every night but it was the case on several trips.  was thinking maybe instead of a clear tube use a black tube. that would allow you to tone the glow stick down some on those nights when it seemed too much. 

the tube is also a great dispenser for some crappie nibble scent. ;)
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2021, 12:23 PM »
I use them all the time when walleye fishing. I have the Strike Sensors that ring on your phone but mostly use little cheap glow sticks since I found a kind on E bay that stay lit when cold.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.