Author Topic: The Ol' Hit and Run  (Read 695 times)

Offline crashed87

• IceShanty Rookie
The Ol' Hit and Run
« on: Dec 09, 2021, 10:47 AM »
(Cross posted from my local forum for some extra views)

Had an awesome season last year, had a ton of fun on my home ice and a good time checking out a lot of new places. Plenty of great fish all year, but the one thing that drove me crazy was the number of shiners pulled off the hook of my tip up with and without a flag. Running my Jaw Jacker this was rarely an issue.

I had the tension on the spool set loose but certainly not spinning free. I tried hooking shiners behind the dorsal fin, closer to the tail, closer to the front, all over. What am I missing?

Help a guy out with some ideas? Thanks all, have an awesome winter.
Clear ice, tight lines, can’t lose

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: The Ol' Hit and Run
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2021, 10:48 AM »
Don't use Tip-ups ??? ??? ???
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2021, 11:24 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2021, 11:32 AM »
i have my tipups set so the spool turns only when there is a fish pulling on the other end.  if the spool is too loose, you can get robbed without setting the flag off.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2021, 12:36 PM »
I have had this issue with perch stealing my minnows, I have made it so I make sure my cross is straight across the flag so if something is playing with it and spins the top a bit I check the tip up and make sure that the little turds have not stole my minnow, but sometimes the spool freezes if water gets in and then they steal them at will with out my knowledge but then I re-lube that tip while I put another one there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.