Author Topic: Vexilar lithium battery  (Read 1856 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Vexilar lithium battery
« on: Dec 06, 2021, 07:35 AM »
Just watched the YouTube Ice Hole Power tear down of the Vexilar lithium battery.   Interesting observation.  Vexilar sells and markets the battery as a 9ah and recommends using their SLA (lead) charger which charges at 13.7v.   So it quits charging and reads full at 13.7v which will give you 9ah.  However... if you had a higher output lithium charger you could get 2-3 more amp hours out of it and essentially have a 12ah battery instead of a 9.   I'm guessing Vexilar did this to eliminate multiple chargers and confusion.   If you have a Vexilar lithium, it would definitively be worth using a charger designed for a lithium battery.   Otherwise it's like going to the gas station and only putting 3/4 of tank in every time.  Not only that, but a higher output charger will cut your recharge time in half.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Vexilar lithium battery
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2021, 08:38 AM »
Just watched the YouTube Ice Hole Power tear down of the Vexilar lithium battery.   Interesting observation.  Vexilar sells and markets the battery as a 9ah and recommends using their SLA (lead) charger which charges at 13.7v.   So it quits charging and reads full at 13.7v which will give you 9ah.  However... if you had a higher output lithium charger you could get 2-3 more amp hours out of it and essentially have a 12ah battery instead of a 9.   I'm guessing Vexilar did this to eliminate multiple chargers and confusion.   If you have a Vexilar lithium, it would definitively be worth using a charger designed for a lithium battery.   Otherwise it's like going to the gas station and only putting 3/4 of tank in every time.  Not only that, but a higher output charger will cut your recharge time in half.

I can add some info to this, because I was wondering the same thing, and yes, I believe you are 100% right.
When I bought my vex lithium last season there was only the standard 410 charger available, same one they have been using for years on standard SLA batteries. In fact, that was the one they were shipping with the battery if you bought the combo. I could run my vexilar for 20 hours or so before that charger would even click on to start a charge cycle on the lithium. Even then, I would usually have to plug it in and turn the flasher on for a second to drop the voltage to trigger the charger. It worked, and when it would take a charge, would charge 5 hours or so.

But then, this season, they came out with two new chargers, both that charge at the higher voltage, and both marketed for their lithium batteries. The fast charging version was on sale locally for the price of the standard charging version, and I bought one. My thinking is, charging up to 100% can only be a good thing as far as performance and more importantly, longevity. Plus, I'd like to be able to plug in a charger after a couple trips out and just charge the thing, not have to wonder if I need to run it another day and hope it will take a charge on the old charger.

I haven't put a timer on my vex and run it on a old versus new charged battery, and I don't plan to. I can tell you this, I charged my battery until the light turned green with the old charger. The next day, I plugged in my new lithium "fast" charger, and it went right to red. I didn't sit and watch it, but it did charge for somewhere between 1.5-2 hours before it went green. That tells me that your 3/4 full is probably pretty accurate, might ben be closer to 2/3 full.

As far as the battery goes, no issues otherwise. On sale for $40 I think it was a pretty good purchase.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2021, 09:28 PM »
Vex had the integrity to not round up you do too ;D 11.3 or whatever isn't quite 12  ;D I'm just glad I never paid the extra for a Dakota battery. Interesting move by vex imo they did it thinking they'd sell more batteries introducing them as not needing a new charger and then will make some money advertising a lithium charger as an upgrade

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2021, 11:02 AM »
I called vexilar and talked with them. I put a lithium battery in my double vision last year, and have been using the charger it came with since it has the quick connect plug.

I asked if the new lithium/sla charger or if new lithium charger would charge my battery to a higher level or a fuller charge. His reply was that all of the chargers will charge the lithium batteries full. They went to the new lithium/sla charger to cut down on confusion...it is basically the same has the SLA charger before it. They just switch it so the didn't have the confusion on what it could charge. The new rapid charger for the lithium can only charge the lithium and charges it really fast. However it can't charge sla batteries.

If what they are telling me is true.....

DTRO

Do you have a link to the video? I would like to watch it. If I can get a 12ah out of it instead of 9ah that be great when I run my sonar and camera on the double vision. If it just takes a different charger it be worth it.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2021, 11:37 AM »
Here is the video you asked about: Ice Hole Power on YouTube. 

Jeremy has been doing this the past few videos on a lot of the big name batteries.  Pretty interesting results on them.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2021, 06:29 AM »
I called vexilar and talked with them. I put a lithium battery in my double vision last year, and have been using the charger it came with since it has the quick connect plug.

I asked if the new lithium/sla charger or if new lithium charger would charge my battery to a higher level or a fuller charge. His reply was that all of the chargers will charge the lithium batteries full. They went to the new lithium/sla charger to cut down on confusion...it is basically the same has the SLA charger before it. They just switch it so the didn't have the confusion on what it could charge. The new rapid charger for the lithium can only charge the lithium and charges it really fast. However it can't charge sla batteries.

If what they are telling me is true.....

DTRO

Do you have a link to the video? I would like to watch it. If I can get a 12ah out of it instead of 9ah that be great when I run my sonar and camera on the double vision. If it just takes a different charger it be worth it.

Well this is a very easy one to prove/disprove with a meter.   The output voltage will be the answer.   It's possible they may have just increased the amperage of the new charger which WILL charge it faster, but not to a greater capacity if it's only 13.6v when charging.  It should be 14.4v to get a full charge on the lithium battery. 

I would bet money that anyone with a 9ah vexilar battery that puts it on a 14.4v charger will get an additional 2ah of capacity vs the SLA charger.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.