Author Topic: AM I nuts?  (Read 2506 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
AM I nuts?
« on: Aug 05, 2021, 08:20 AM »
Going in for a Job interview this morning.  Only been working 3 hours a weekend for Frito Lay Stocking chips for the last 1 year 10 months. Now I am going in for an 40 hour a week job. So am I nuts? I am 68.
<===Lefty===

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: AM I nuts?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2021, 08:33 AM »
Well either you want to get away from the Mrs. or like me there wasn't enough money in the bank account to make ends meet.  Or you want to buy another toy.  If not YOUR NUTS
Bud

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2021, 08:33 AM »
Whatever works for ya, lefty! All I'd say is, when it becomes "a job" again and no longer enjoyable, time to cut back.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2021, 08:54 AM »
Wow…someone actually willing to work a 40 hour week? I’m in a state of shock!
Nah, you’re not nuts Sir. I commend you for your decision to re-enter the workforce full time. I hope it’s a job you will enjoy.  :thumbsup:
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2021, 11:10 AM »
You do what you gotta do!
I could have worked way past when I retired, one thing though, no company had enough money to get me to work night shift again!!!!
Well, maybe I would work one for 10M or more.   :laugh:

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2021, 12:02 PM »
BRUTAL!  :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2021, 12:35 PM »
Well I got the job.. Stocking Bakery, Produce and Meat at the local Walmart. $15.40 per hour to start. Just filed out the background check and should be good to go. I have worked for a Wholesale Bakery, A wholesale Produce company and worked in Freezers with no problems. Heck Ice fishing is colder than -4. Reason I got the job, IFF nailed it. I am looking to buy both another Truck and a Side x side. All the money I make is just going to be extra play money.  Starting wage is $15 but they threw in the .40 Cents because I am working for Frito Lay. Can't wait for that first check to blow.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2021, 12:53 PM »
 :thumbsup: Good man! Come on over here and work....those shelves are ALWAYS wiped out at our local Walmart.   So much so, I no longer shop there anymore. But that's another story.
Take yerself and the missus out for a big steak and lobster dinner with that first check!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2021, 12:57 PM »
:thumbsup: Good man! Come on over here and work....those shelves are ALWAYS wiped out at our local Walmart. (We have 2 superstores here)  So much so, I no longer shop there anymore. But that's another story.
Take yerself and the missus out for a big steak and lobster dinner with that first check!
Already told the wife we will be going out to eat more often. But I do like to smoke Brisket, Pulled Pork, Chicken and I always love a good Ribeye.
<===Lefty===

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2021, 03:41 PM »
Yup, you're nuts.   ;D

Assuming you have kids, I would recommend "tithing" them (i.e., taking 10% of their gross income) in lieu of returning to the labor force.

After all, that's what kids are for - - and why we have them in the first place (i.e., so we can become a burden to them in our old age).

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Aug 05, 2021, 04:10 PM »
Yup, you're nuts.   ;D

Assuming you have kids, I would recommend "tithing" them (i.e., taking 10% of their gross income) in lieu of returning to the labor force.

After all, that's what kids are for - - and why we have them in the first place (i.e., so we can become a burden to them in our old age).
Yea right. I would only have to get 10% of my oldest daughters pay and live high on the hog. That girl makes some serious money.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Aug 05, 2021, 04:42 PM »
Yea right. I would only have to get 10% of my oldest daughters pay and live high on the hog. That girl makes some serious money.

Well, if that's true, could ya have her send me an extra 5%?   :roflmao:

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Aug 05, 2021, 05:11 PM »
Well, if that's true, could ya have her send me an extra 5%?   :roflmao:
I would never ask anything from my kids. When I die they also get whatever I have.
<===Lefty===

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Aug 05, 2021, 05:32 PM »
I would never ask anything from my kids. When I die they also get whatever I have.

Your right..  Just like wives ...
Whats mine is theres and whats theres is theres.....    ::)

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Aug 05, 2021, 06:21 PM »

After all these years, I know that. You'd also give someone the shirt off your back. A stand up guy.  :thumbsup:

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Aug 05, 2021, 06:37 PM »
After all these years, I know that. You'd also give someone the shirt off your back. A stand up guy.  :thumbsup:
Thanks Reb I think I am or at least try to be.
<===Lefty===

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Aug 06, 2021, 10:24 AM »
Agreed…
(just an observation!)

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Aug 06, 2021, 10:32 AM »
Lefty your not nuts just have work ethic. Also starting wage at Walmart here over night to stock shelves is 17 then with shift differential 18.50 to walk through the door can't imagine what they pay someone with experience
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Aug 06, 2021, 11:05 AM »
Lefty your not nuts just have work ethic. Also starting wage at Walmart here over night to stock shelves is 17 then with shift differential 18.50 to walk through the door can't imagine what they pay someone with experience
Yea they are trying to keep employees. All companies are trying to hang onto employees even if they are slower workers. I figure on my bad day's I could keep up with some of the youth today. Not 2 of my grand kids though. 2 of the 7 I know are very hard workers.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Aug 06, 2021, 11:14 AM »
Hard work ethic went out the window years ago with today's kiddies. (most, anyway, from what I see)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Aug 06, 2021, 12:53 PM »
I think work ethics went out the window about the same time young people lost the ability to count out change. They would say "Here's yer change." and dump it in your hand. I wrote a check in a store for $25 to pay for something and got change for $75 dumped in my hand. I told the young gal that I wrote the check for $25 and she said "Your two looks like a seven.". I told her what is written on the next line down is what matters and she should be glad I am honest.  All I got was a dumb stare as she grabbed the extra money. Most of them don't have the ability to thank you for saving their butt.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Aug 06, 2021, 01:32 PM »
That's cuz they talk too fast to understand a word they're saying, unless it's on their iPhone. *TIPPITYTAT*TIPATAPA*  ::)  I've been nosing around for few hours a week PT job just for $hi** and giggles, but I don't think I could handle some young kid telling me what and how to do it after supervising a squad of hard-core guys for years.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #22 on: Aug 06, 2021, 02:37 PM »
When the guy who was my partner at work retired he went to work driving a courtesy car for an auto dealership. He was on the way to pick up a customer when they sent him out of route to pick up another customer which made him late for picking the first customer up. When he got back to the dealership, the customer he picked up late complained about it and his boss told him not to worry about it. One of the owners fired him. No more part time jobs for him.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Aug 06, 2021, 02:48 PM »
That’s the problem with today’s society…an egotistical sense of entitlement!
If I were that first customer, I think I’d be a little more understanding of the situation, and not make a stink over it! After all it was a “courtesy” ride from the dealership.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #24 on: Aug 06, 2021, 03:35 PM »
My buddy was supposed to pick a customer up from the south side of town and take him to the dealership, but they sent him to the north side to pick another customer up first which made him late for the first customer. Then the jack wagon fired him for being late. 

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Aug 06, 2021, 05:32 PM »
Hard work ethic went out the window years ago with today's kiddies. (most, anyway, from what I see)

My kids 11 9 4 and 2 all will learn work ethic I would take my 9 year old to work with me any day of the week that boy knows how to work. He raked one of our food plots by hand for 2 hours making sure it was clear enough to plant. He loves going hunting and ice fishing he's up before the alarm goes off
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Aug 06, 2021, 08:56 PM »

It has, saw it this summer, no drive in the youngsters, they just quit cause they didn't want to put in the work to make money, better for me and my partner, more work for us.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Aug 06, 2021, 10:18 PM »
Going in for a Job interview this morning.  Only been working 3 hours a weekend for Frito Lay Stocking chips for the last 1 year 10 months. Now I am going in for an 40 hour a week job. So am I nuts? I am 68.

Nothing wrong with working!

but.. you seem to fish too much, and are on an ice fishing forum in the middle of summer, so maybe you should be worried!

;)

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Aug 07, 2021, 03:16 AM »
Lefty Oh so the truth comes out Hey you suppose if I went back to work I could get myself a new truck ?
Bud

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Aug 07, 2021, 05:23 AM »
Lefty Oh so the truth comes out Hey you suppose if I went back to work I could get myself a new truck ?
Well first of all I have never owned a new Vehicle ever in my life. When I buy a car or truck I buy something I think will get me by for the next few years and it has worked out pretty good.  The closest  I got was Leasing a Car back in 2000 then later that year August I injured my back and ended up turning in the Lease a year early. Then had 2 back surgeries.
Second closest I had was my VW TDI which I bought with back pay from SSDI in 2005 when I got it 5 years old. It had 86k miles on it and I still have the car and it now has 422k miles on it.  SO yeah I think at 68 I deserve to get me something new. I know it is going to be pretty hard making it through 40 hours but I will give it my best.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.