The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: "Undervalued” Fresh Water Fish  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
"Undervalued” Fresh Water Fish
« on: Feb 27, 2021, 08:53 AM »
"Migratory populations have declined by more than three-quarters since the 1970s, while populations of larger species, weighing more than 60 pounds, have fallen by an even more “catastrophic” 94 percent, it said....”
"Of more than 10,000 species whose conservation status has been assessed by the International Union for Conservation of Nature, 30 percent are considered at risk of extinction, the report said."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/third-global-freshwater-fish-species-114625471.html

"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: "Undervalued” Fresh Water Fish
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2021, 09:09 AM »
If the States would spend time and Money up grading water quaility ,More quailty fish would be caught.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2021, 09:11 AM »
If the States would spend time and Money up grading water quaility ,More quailty fish would be caught.

I know many of the West Coast/Pacific Salmon in general are in BIG trouble. \
Whitefish are declining in our state.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2021, 09:39 AM »
Back 60 years ago i had more fun jigging  white fish in Big Sebago,  Moosehead ,and Caribou lake . They disapeared in Sebago than Moosehead than Caribou lake, in order to fish them now you have to go up to Chamberlain or Eagle lake ,Its been a few years since ive been up and fished Eagle maybe they  are gone up there Now.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2021, 09:40 AM »
Back 60 years ago i had more fun jigging  white fish in Big Sebago,  Moosehead ,and Caribou lake . They disapeared in Sebago than Moosehead than Caribou lake, in order to fish them now you have to go up to Chamberlain or Eagle lake ,Its been a few years since ive been up and fished Eagle maybe they  are gone up there Now.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2021, 09:50 AM »
I hear Eagle is about done. A rare catch there now.... The Eagle Lake up near Fort Kent.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2021, 06:07 PM »
big eagle in the allagash never recovered. they tried stocking it and they never grew due to competition with the large smelt population. very few places are left to catch them. clear lake used to be a great lake for them. 2 yrs. ago teampar and myself fished it with 2 other guys. lots of small togue. 0 whitefish. and this was a gps spot from the late 90's i used to have 20-30 whitefish days. we jigged all day.  i hate to see pics of them dead on the ice because they take a very long time to grow . im suprised the state hasnt stopped the harvest of them completely. with their rarity now , i would never kill one. soldier pond, where i was raised had river whitefish. we were allowed 8 a day back when i was a kid. we would catch them on the edge of the ice in apr. man did they fight for their size! none of them in their anymore either.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2021, 06:34 PM »
big eagle in the allagash never recovered. they tried stocking it and they never grew due to competition with the large smelt population. very few places are left to catch them. clear lake used to be a great lake for them. 2 yrs. ago teampar and myself fished it with 2 other guys. lots of small togue. 0 whitefish. and this was a gps spot from the late 90's i used to have 20-30 whitefish days. we jigged all day.  i hate to see pics of them dead on the ice because they take a very long time to grow . im suprised the state hasnt stopped the harvest of them completely. with their rarity now , i would never kill one. soldier pond, where i was raised had river whitefish. we were allowed 8 a day back when i was a kid. we would catch them on the edge of the ice in apr. man did they fight for their size! none of them in their anymore either.
Right now Maine IFW is doing a survey study aging whitefish where they still exist. Maybe there will be a stocking program.Gregg Burr, IFW Downeast Biologist, recommended I write the commissioner with suggestions. Please do as well!  It seems invasive species stocked with good intent, such as smelt and lake trout are NOT a good idea! Looks the the lakes and ponds such as Sebago and Moosehead where IFW has recommended removing togue. Smelt are another issue. they eat whitefish eggs and fry in large numbers!  Very sad to see whitefish  loosing historic habitat and populations.I’m told by a hatchery guy, getting whitefish h to spawn and the fry to survive is difficult, water temp and other issues. Catching and holds adults is at least as problematic. Personally, I’d like to see adults moved to habitats where they once existed and lakes with suitable habitats... It may be our ecological systems can no longer accommodate this species.. I hope this is not true. It seems the case with other species though....  One lake I fished was “stocked” by locals in the 70’s. They had estasblished a breeding population. It appears they have not been reproducing the past few years. NO new year classes apparent. I’ll  be fishing whitefish a couple more time this year at WG. I have seriously cut back my effort on them. Will likely take another 6 - 9 from the WG area. The yellow perch are less fortunate, my new pursuit and favorite table fair, though whitefish are much respected true natives and great Maine fishery! I would like to see less effort on brook trout put and take in warm water ponds where they won’t survive and place a lot more effort on self sustaining fisheries, PARTICUALLY  regarding native species like whitefish, wild brook trout and wild LL Salmon! Thank you for your time!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.