The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Annabessacook  (Read 2342 times)

Offline nhscuba

• IceShanty Rookie
Annabessacook
« on: Feb 17, 2021, 10:27 AM »
Headed to Annabessacook next weekend for the first time.  My son recently developed a strong passion for hard water fishing (woohoo) and wants to target pike.  Any recommendations on the lake itself regarding areas to avoid, ice conditions, bait shops, etc?

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Annabessacook
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2021, 10:56 AM »
I don't know the lake, but where are you coming from?  Bait shop in Manchester called Cobbossee Bait on 202 just west of the golf course.  My bait guy in Chelsea Soucy's Bait 441-0645 has a ton of large & jumbo shiners, Oakland there is Wild Things and probably some on the way if coming from Lewiston

Offline nhscuba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2021, 11:11 AM »
Headed up from  NH Seacoast.  Normally do a few trips to Vermont (where I'm from originally) every year for Champlain Pike, but due to their travel restrictions, trips cancelled.  Excited to try Maine though; way more accommodating and much closer.  Info much appreciated, thank you!

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2021, 04:37 PM »
I fished it last week for 2 days, found 30 feet to jig in while my pike flags were shallow. Compared to other times it was very slow with Pike. Good fishing for White Perch and Crappie though. Good luck that lake can be fun some days but very slow on others. Be mindful of the inlet where you walk on, stay to the extreme right or left of the bouys and you will be fine.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2021, 04:50 PM »
I fished it last week for 2 days, found 30 feet to jig in while my pike flags were shallow. Compared to other times it was very slow with Pike. Good fishing for White Perch and Crappie though. Good luck that lake can be fun some days but very slow on others. Be mindful of the inlet where you walk on, stay to the extreme right or left of the bouys and you will be fine.
Place gets an unreal amount of pressure over the last 5 years or so. I don’t fish it much anymore.

Offline nhscuba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2021, 09:44 AM »
Thanks for the info. I don't mind the slow days as any day on the ice with my teenager is a great day.   If I can get him to land 1 pike that would be a bonus; only fish he has yet to catch on thru the ice.

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2021, 06:47 PM »
Did you go yet or are you heading there this weekend?

Offline nhscuba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:13 AM »
Headed up on Friday

Offline maine_dave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2021, 08:24 AM »
I've been out there almost every weekend since lockup.  I fish the northern end and have pulled in lots of bass, pickerel, pike and yellows.  First weekend my buddy pulled up an 18" brown.  Probably the only one in the lake.

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2021, 08:55 AM »
I have been on the lake a couple of times over the past few weeks in spots that are normally hot this tome of year and for me it was unusually slow, even moved around with not a lot of good action, not sue what has changed...... Thinking of other locations for this weekend.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:53 AM »
I have been on the lake a couple of times over the past few weeks in spots that are normally hot this tome of year and for me it was unusually slow, even moved around with not a lot of good action, not sue what has changed...... Thinking of other locations for this weekend.
Lots of fishing pressure there over the last 5 years. I used to fish there during the week and not see a soul all day. I go by there every day to and from work and that place is a zoo now most days. Lots of better places to fish for pike. Just my opinion.

Offline nhscuba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2021, 09:54 AM »
Appreciate all of the info, I will post results.  New to this community, and so glad I found it.  Filled with great people!

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2021, 07:09 PM »
I have been fishing this lake for about 10 years now and have noticed over the past few years more and more people fishing it. We fished it this past weekend and when we walked off the ice Sunday afternoon I could not believe the amount of vehicles parked on the road, one would have thought there was a derby going on. I remember the same thing happening with Sabbatus years ago. Is Annabeseecook becoming the new Sabbatus?

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2021, 02:31 AM »
I have been fishing this lake for about 10 years now and have noticed over the past few years more and more people fishing it. We fished it this past weekend and when we walked off the ice Sunday afternoon I could not believe the amount of vehicles parked on the road, one would have thought there was a derby going on. I remember the same thing happening with Sabbatus years ago. Is Annabeseecook becoming the new Sabbatus?
Yes it is the new sabattus. I drove by on sun afternoon on my way home from work. Musta been 30 vehicles at the launch.

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2021, 05:18 AM »
Fishing spots get more pressure from social media. I post on here as well and when I post fish pics I try not to reveal the location.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2021, 05:55 AM »
If I'm fishing a lake that is well known or popular I might mention it by name. Talking about a successful day on Sabattus, Sebago or Moosehead isn't going to put more pressure on any of those lakes. If I was posting pictures from someplace like Mollidgewock Pond I would keep the location to myself.

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2021, 08:36 AM »
Annabesicook isn't much of a secret the past couple years.  It doesn't help that a lot of out of staters have now purchased some of the property around the lake.  It's also right off the main drag so pretty easy to see whats going on and to get to.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.