Author Topic: Where to fish in 2021  (Read 384 times)

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
Where to fish in 2021
« on: Feb 17, 2021, 09:42 AM »
Latest news seems to be the US-Canadian border will remain closed for the foreseeable future.   I am from NE Illinois and my son and I have traveled for many years to NW Ontario for our annual fishing trip.  2020 trip was cancelled and we are now facing possible cancellation of our 2021 trip (but who knows).    I am looking for suggestions for a US fishing trip, perhaps in Minnesota, South Dakota or ??? in July.   Our Ontario trip is a 710 mile drive and so we are certainly willing to drive for good fishing.

In Ontario we target smallmouth bass.  We like catching walleyes for shore lunch and the occasional large northern.    In Ontario we use a resort that offers American Plan and we always hire a guide.  That approach works for us and I would like to continue with that.

Any suggestions on US fishing spots to consider?  Thanks for your help.

Offline Owesome_Otter

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Where to fish in 2021
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2021, 09:54 AM »
Lake of the Woods in MN would be a good location. 680 Miles from Wheaton, IL.

Plenty of resources on Iceshanty, as well as online about guides and everything up there.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2021, 10:19 AM »
LOTW is always high on my recommendation list for walleye. 

If you are looking for smallmouth, you may want to consider Mille Lacs in MN or the Chippewa Flowage in WI for  smallmouth.  Guides should be available in both locations.  Either of these will allow you to find walleye.  Mille Lacs does have a size restriction and numbers for walleye, so be aware of that.   
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2021, 10:31 AM »
I'd second the Lake of the Wood suggestion. I personally have made the trek from Montana twice in the last 10 years, had a great time both times and am actually in the early planning stages of a return trip in the next year or two. Plenty of fish to keep a person busy. Never know what it is that you might reel up. I've caught eelpout, sauger, walleye, perch and tulipee. Nice resorts, good people, pretty much everything a person could want.

Another member of our party has arranged for the guide in the past. He just has ice shacks, no accommodations.

For no specific reason, we have stayed at Sportsman's Lodge. The last time we were there, we had enough people in the party to book one of the newer villas which are very, very nice. I'd strongly suggest you book one of those if you can. The hot water heated floors in the cold Minnesota morning are really nice. Restaurant and bar onsite.

If you're feeling like an adventure, head over to the Zipple bay and visit their on ice igloo. The Igloo Bar is located on the frozen Lake of the Woods out in front of Zippel Bay. It is transported out in two pieces and bolted together. It is loaded with big screen TV’s, electric lights, running water, a bar, limited hot food menu, and heated portapoddies that look like little igloos.

Good luck, tight lines and stays safe.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2021, 10:37 AM »
Any of the Missouri River reservoirs would be on my radar. Lots of numbers and a chance at a giant.  WAY less people a bonus!
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2021, 10:40 AM »
Sorry, I didn't read your post carefully enough to notice that you were looking at a july or so kind of trip. Can't speak of the warm weather fishing in a place like Lake of the Woods, but from the weekly email updates I receive, they do great there on the soft water as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.