The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Smelt Report  (Read 2233 times)

Offline iusedtocould

• Team IceShanty Regular
Smelt Report
« on: Feb 12, 2021, 07:33 AM »
Wife and I hit Worthings last night for the 845-245am tide. Place was plenty busy for a Thursday night. Bite was slow at first but steady. Most all takers were 1-2 feet off bottom. Jig rods w sabaki rigs out fished house lines 2 to 1 until around 10 pm when the fish moved in and up the water column. Marked fish steady from 8-18 feet. Called it a night at 2am with a catch total of 130 smelt. Overall a decent haul for us as we haven't been in years.

Offline Sluggo65

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Smelt Report
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2021, 07:36 AM »
Thanks for that report - might get the kids together and run up for a tide. Better have Mother pick up some extra Spam today!
Is it making ice yet?

Offline iusedtocould

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2021, 07:47 AM »
Forgot to mention. They didn't put all their shacks out so I can only imagine how booked they are for weekends. Costs about the same as usual. Was 70$ for a 6 man including bait last night. Be nice to the lady doing reservations, she looked to be on the edge of a breakdown when I was there lol

Offline Sluggo65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2021, 09:30 AM »
I see what you mean - they aren't even answering the phone. Booked a 7:00 tide at James Eddy for Thursday - can't wait!
Is it making ice yet?

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2021, 10:54 PM »
Can’t wait to see how you do at James Eddy....haven’t been there in 10 years....got an itch to scratch

Offline FishinIsLife

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2021, 09:49 AM »
Anyone have a link to the regulations for smelt fishing the river? All I can find is regs for 2020 and those appear not to have information for Jan 1 to Mar 15. What is the limit for the kennebec river?

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2021, 12:02 PM »
4 quarts a day per person.

Offline Fishhead680

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2021, 03:52 PM »
I’m supposed to fish Bakers tomorrow. Let ya know how I do...
Anyone fish there yet?

Offline Fishhead680

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2021, 04:37 PM »
Forgot to post this on Tuesday but me and my neighbor fished Bakers outgoing tide on Monday evening and put 24ish in a bucket. List that many too. Lots of bites, mid column and bottom. First trip this year - they are tasty!

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2021, 06:44 PM »
Watching ....

Offline shoeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2021, 07:02 AM »
Forgot to post this on Tuesday but me and my neighbor fished Bakers outgoing tide on Monday evening and put 24ish in a bucket. List that many too. Lots of bites, mid column and bottom. First trip this year - they are tasty!
myself and 5 buddy's hit bakers last night. Between us we probably got 300+.jig rods and house lines worked well. They were all over the place in the column.

Offline Sluggo65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2021, 08:54 AM »
Fished w/ the kids last night at James Eddy. Got there late (!!!!) and didn't fish the whole tide but we nabbed 74 on a pretty steady bite. All on Sabiki rigs and jig rods and marked fish all over. Seemed to work best with the sinker about two feet off bottom. The whole place was a glare of ice, from the parking lot all the way down - pretty treacherous at night with both arms full of gear. Wear your creepers!

Is it making ice yet?

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2021, 09:55 PM »
Nice !!

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2021, 11:06 PM »
Any smelts ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum