Author Topic: Kids Hooked on Ice Fishing  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Kids Hooked on Ice Fishing
« on: Feb 07, 2021, 05:32 PM »
My 12yr old son was bugging me to take him ice fishing again today.  I eventually gave in and drilled a few holes in a small pond that sits behind our house.  I set the expectation of not catching much as I’ve tried ice fishing here at least 5-6 times over the past 15 years and have only caught 1 fish through the ice. In the spring and summer the pond is good for a few bass, crappies, sunny’s and bullhead.   In the winter it goes dead.  We fished for just 90 min and he caught fish.  He jigged up 4 bullhead and 2 big crappie.  I had to practically drag him off the ice today.  I told him we have snow to clear and couldn’t fish anymore today.  I promised him we can hit it again tomorrow after school....My son is hooked and I couldn’t me more proud!

Anyone one else want to report on some kid fishing addicts?

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Kids Hooked on Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2021, 05:56 PM »
Good job Dad!

Offline BobB257

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2021, 07:08 PM »
Found this site in 2009 when my son and I were fishing hard water.   he was 10.  Met some great guys and gals at a get-together on weathers field cove.   My daughter loved the quad ride and the popups with heat.   Son turns 22 this year and daughter is 18.   Time flies.   Enjoy every fish.   They grow up fast.   
Take a kid fishing, you just might learn a thing or two.

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2021, 08:24 PM »
Bob, those are some great memories.  Thank you for sharing....I remember back when I was a kid, I’m 45 now, and lived to go hunting and fishing.  Those were my passions and still are.  The school I attended here in CT back in the 1980’s and 1990’s had a rifle team and a Rod and Gun Club.  Outdoor sporting was promoted and supported then.  Those days are now long gone in public schools.  Times have really changed as these activities are not even up for discussion in our children’s schools these days.  I took my son out of school for a couple of days this fall to go bird hunting in VT and was instructed by the school admins that he couldn’t share his trip with classmates during school time (online Zoom Meetings).  If our trip to VT was to look at fall foliage then the discussion about the vacation would have been encouraged. 

I am putting a lot of effort in to make sure my son gets all the exposure he possible can to hunting and fishing.  He’s been following me around in the woods since he was 7.  As long as he wants to go I will never say no to taking him along on a trip.  This year he asked for a new deer rifle for Christmas.  He will be hunting in CT for the first time in 2021 and he can’t wait!  I’m so glad he hasn’t given in to the pressures he is hearing about his passions coming from the opposing side.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2021, 06:13 AM »
You're a good role model and it's paying off.  :thumbsup: Your kids will be better parents as a result of the effort you put in now.  :tipup:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2021, 06:41 AM »
My daughter is just starting to get into the laker game and longer trips.  She did great getting up at 4am.  We had a great day(Saturday).  I landed 1 she lost one.  Must have heard "I love you Dad" a million times that day.  Any day on the ice with her is the best day. 

Glad you got out with your son. 

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2021, 07:02 AM »
That's great Jon. The picture of her waving is a wallhanger.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2021, 07:58 AM »
Got my 10yr old daughter out yesterday for a few hours before the snow hit.

She had a blast. Wanna do a few more flag chasing trips and then maybe ill introduce her to Laker fishing.

She loves jigging with a graph.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ImmovingtoMaine,OUCH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2021, 08:24 AM »
Awesome! Love hearing these reports, kids need it more than ever and every year we get Ice locally I am sure to cherish it. I’ve been ice fishing a bunch catching some bass and perch with my kids locally in SE CT/Rhode Island but my 9 yo has been very curious about my solo Pike trips when he’s gone to school.....finally earlier this week I told him I would take him but do not expect to catch anything. We got lucky he got his first Pike and I lost a 10lber at the hole (had my hand on its head) epic fail Dad, but it was a great day!

url=https://postimg.cc/6787bCsV][/url]

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2021, 08:44 AM »
Great job! I’m seeing a “epic success” smile in those pics.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2021, 08:49 AM »
Got my 10yr old daughter out yesterday for a few hours before the snow hit.

She had a blast. Wanna do a few more flag chasing trips and then maybe ill introduce her to Laker fishing.

She loves jigging with a graph.

What are we waiting for Ken.  Got to get them out together. 

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2021, 09:08 AM »
What are we waiting for Ken.  Got to get them out together.

Absolutely  :tipup: :)
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline michael czapor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2021, 11:42 AM »
Get the kids hooked when they're young.
I'm still out there with my son and he's
31 now ! We had a blast at Champlain
this past weekend and he got his first
laker

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2021, 08:51 PM »
This is turning out to be one of the best threads I’ve read in a long times.  Let’s keep it going!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.