Author Topic: Several sleds went in today?  (Read 2561 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Several sleds went in today?
« on: Feb 06, 2021, 08:09 PM »
Heard that a few sleds went in winni today and a few other lakes in NH. No news that I saw . Anyone know anything?
Salmonemia

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Several sleds went in today?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2021, 09:44 PM »
I heard the same. I think newfound was the other
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline SPIN 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2021, 06:16 AM »
Yep  sled went in newfound news said fishermen helped get m out  2 days ago north end I was at was 11/2”-2 “ and 1 “ hard pack. Was sketchy walking on
More than 3 cars in my driveway when I get home ? Probably an intervention! I’m outta there!

Offline SPIN 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2021, 06:30 AM »
9 days ago there were whitecaps there
More than 3 cars in my driveway when I get home ? Probably an intervention! I’m outta there!

Offline rcwlogic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2021, 10:24 AM »
I’m surprised they haven’t cancelled the derby.. it’s sad they are knowingly inviting tragedy for a small pile of money

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2021, 10:41 AM »
I’m surprised they haven’t cancelled the derby.. it’s sad they are knowingly inviting tragedy for a small pile of money

Well, I'm fishing on 12" of hard black ice so bring on the derby.  The real problem isn't the Rotary's fishing derby, it's all the people who venture out on ice without checking it first.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2021, 11:21 AM »
Saw the same in Maine, atvs through at Sebago and another place called cathace, I had heard Sebago same deal a few days ago wide open

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2021, 11:45 AM »
Well, I'm fishing on 12" of hard black ice so bring on the derby.  The real problem isn't the Rotary's fishing derby, it's all the people who venture out on ice without checking it first.

100%

You don’t HAVETO fish the broads of Winni, or any big lake, it’s not the WINNI derby like people like to call it. It’s the rotary derby fish a damn fire pond if it’s public. I pray nothing horrible happens but just a few years back it wasn’t much better, it’s not the derby’s fault it’s absolute idiots. If someone goes it’s not the rotary fault it’s there own IQ. I hope it never happens again but people are stupider by the minute. Each ticking second people are moved further from reality and become more dependent. Slowly poisoning themselves not even knowing
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2021, 02:39 PM »
100%

You don’t HAVETO fish the broads of Winni, or any big lake, it’s not the WINNI derby like people like to call it. It’s the rotary derby fish a damn fire pond if it’s public. I pray nothing horrible happens but just a few years back it wasn’t much better, it’s not the derby’s fault it’s absolute idiots. If someone goes it’s not the rotary fault it’s there own IQ. I hope it never happens again but people are stupider by the minute. Each ticking second people are moved further from reality and become more dependent. Slowly poisoning themselves not even knowing

This ^. 100% this^
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2021, 02:47 PM »
100%

Yup..^^^^ we all know what you xant fix.. and there is no substitute  for common sense.. people get all offended when we( AS A GROUP) are hard on people  asking ice thickness.. its these people that are the problem, no tne derby.. which benefits  many, many people..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2021, 02:59 PM »
I say let Darwin do his job... We're ending up in a real life version of Idiocracy.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2021, 03:04 PM »
The ice thickness question by so many is unbelievable. I was out this morning on a lake that I saw people all over yesterday.  Walked in on a trail in the woods got onto the lake, 15 feet out only drilled 3". We fished it for a while without any luck. After a little while I see 2 adults and 4 kids 100 yards away running all over a cove that has a bunch of rock holes and some very fresh clear ice on it. They made there way over to us and asked how much ice there was. I told them, the adults scattered back to shore but let the kids stay and play amongst the rocks on less than an inch of ice down the shoreline.... I was mentally preparing myself to have to get wet to get one of them out... thankfully they got lucky

Offline SPIN 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2021, 03:17 PM »

Offline Nitro16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2021, 03:53 PM »
If people don't check the ice it's their own fault. I walked 2.5 miles with my buddy on Friday with my milwaukee with a 1" by 16" long bit and drilled holes every 30 feet till I got to where I wanted to go. Don't trust anyone else, check for yourself
Born to fish, forced to work....

Offline Ranetrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2021, 03:57 PM »
The ice thickness question by so many is unbelievable. I was out this morning on a lake that I saw people all over yesterday.  Walked in on a trail in the woods got onto the lake, 15 feet out only drilled 3". We fished it for a while without any luck. After a little while I see 2 adults and 4 kids 100 yards away running all over a cove that has a bunch of rock holes and some very fresh clear ice on it. They made there way over to us and asked how much ice there was. I told them, the adults scattered back to shore but let the kids stay and play amongst the rocks on less than an inch of ice down the shoreline.... I was mentally preparing myself to have to get wet to get one of them out... thankfully they got lucky

Agreed here. Scary how many oblivious people I see out there without chisels or augers just screwing around. I’m all for everyone enjoying the lake but practice some due diligence before risking your (or even worse your kid’s) life. A buddy of mine’s sled went through 5-10’ from beach on Friday on winni. Luckily there were people around and We were able to hold it on the ice while it got pulled out by another sled. Be safe folks, I promise you it ain’t worth it.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2021, 04:05 PM »
I say let Darwin do his job... We're ending up in a real life version of Idiocracy.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2021, 04:10 PM »

Tons of places to fish w/ good ice (not just Winni).  They would be crazy to cancel the derby.

Problem is ppl gunning around w/o checking the ice.  It all looks white w/ snow on top, but thickness varies greatly.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2021, 04:21 PM »
I agree with all this. I was on a solid foot yesterday and today on winni. Theres safe ice just have to evaluate as you go dont just walk out and assume it's safe. I don't think the rotary is responsible for everyone's safety. People need to go and evaluate on there own but need to be safe and use their brains. 
Salmonemia

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2021, 04:37 PM »
I was on a solid foot today and couldn't believe it, but I knew a couple hundred yards away had much less ice.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2021, 06:25 PM »
Agreed with alot of this. tradidgy happens almost every year and I will say I believe 90% of the time it has nothing to do with ice fisherman it's the people riding that assume it's safe because there's someone fishing not knowing their surroundings
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline ishoot308

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2021, 09:01 PM »
Does anyone know where the sleds went in on Winni?... Reason I ask is I attempted to walk out to my place on Welch Island from Glendale checking ice along the way. While there was 9” of solid ice near the docks at Glendale, it didn’t take long for it to go down to 2” or less as soon as you hit the more open area of the lake. Needless to say I turned around.

What I couldn’t believe were the people on ATV’s, snowmobiles and clueless walkers just flagrantly going over these unsafe areas that had 2” or less of ice without stopping to check. I said to my wife “someone is going to go through today”.  One ATV had two people on it and towing a sled I thought for sure I would be pulling him out of the water! I tried to warn him but was blown off...

Dan

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2021, 05:56 AM »
Interesting recovery thread on the Maine board.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=383033.0

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2021, 09:44 AM »
I heard about this too. I was out on Newfound and in the cove we had 12" then about 50 yards away there was only 4". We had taken the snowmobiles to the spot and I cut two holes and had an "oh $h!t" moment and flagged down my friend before he pulled up.
Marking anything?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.