Author Topic: Fishing with mealworms  (Read 3389 times)

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing with mealworms
« on: Nov 05, 2006, 08:25 AM »
Has anyone ever used mealworms as bait through the ice?   If you have, how do you present them, and what do you catch?  If they work and would be worth it, I am going to stock up for the winter, as my local bait shop only carries mousies and spikes through the winter. 

What do you all think? 

Bring on the ice!!!! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
I love a flag!!!!

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fishing with mealworms
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2006, 08:34 AM »
I would stick to tipping jigs with maggots...Although they do not live as long as other worms, they have a scent pouch in their rear that when pierced with your hook, it releases a potent smell that drive panfish wild :)
Andrew

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2006, 09:01 AM »
Has anyone ever used mealworms as bait through the ice?   If you have, how do you present them, and what do you catch?  If they work and would be worth it, I am going to stock up for the winter, as my local bait shop only carries mousies and spikes through the winter. 

What do you all think? 

Bring on the ice!!!! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
never had any luck when ive used mealworms.  all i ever really use is waxworms.  ill buy maggots sometimes, but i hate going without waxies
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2006, 09:19 AM »
THe only time I had luck with Mealworms was Late ice (last possible  safe day out there) a few years ago. I was fishing for bluegills and ran out of Spikes, so i start using the Mealies that I brought along and continued to catch fish. I think the fish were on such a feed that day, that it didnt matter what i put on. :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline crappie78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2006, 10:06 AM »
Does anyone know where i can order different colored spikes?

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2006, 10:21 AM »
The great thing about meal worms is that they live forever. If you get a tub of thousand now, you will still have 997 of them come March. The other three will have died on your hook, from old age while waiting for a REALLY hungry fish to swim by.

Guess I could have just said.................. .......bad bait ??? ???
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2006, 11:36 AM »
I use both mealworms and maggots for trout & perch.  They work well.  Keep the maggots alive & active in cold weather by putting them in your cheek, like a chaw!!!! ;D

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2006, 12:18 PM »
I use both mealworms and maggots for trout & perch.  They work well.  Keep the maggots alive & active in cold weather by putting them in your cheek, like a chaw!!!! ;D

Ha, some diehards actually do that :o
Andrew

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2006, 01:01 PM »
Waxworms,spikes and mouseys are better baits.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2006, 01:23 PM »
Okay, so I won't be buying any mealwoms anytime soon..i figured there was a reason my baitshop doesn't sell them.   :pinch:

Guess it was a stupid question,  huh??? :-[
I love a flag!!!!

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2006, 01:28 PM »
Guess it was a stupid question,  huh???

No such thing as a stupid question. And who knows, maybe mealies are good bait under some circumstances. But no such thing as a stupid question.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2006, 03:22 PM »
Well i use use meal worms quite regularly for panfish ,They work great . I also raise them for food for the bluebirds .

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2006, 10:31 PM »
Meal worms are the common winter bait around these parts. I have had good luck tipping my jigs with them.

...Hmph, I been settin' so long my old behinder is stiff..." Doig's Grandma

Offline afishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2006, 11:59 PM »
I use the red and the white mealworms. I pull them in half and tip my jigs with them. As I jig them the guts of the mealworms leak into the water and color it like milk.When I catch fish they stir it up and attract more fish. I have had good luck with trout and perch using mealworms. The other varieties of worms are too fragile for as aggressive as I jig, but lots of the fish I catch are on the drop. Gotta watch that line. When most of the trout I catch take the bait they don't run with it, they pick it up gently, if you don't watch for slack in your line you'll never know you had a bite and will just spend all day re-baiting and feeding the fish. Just my opinion, I might be wrong. STAY WARM afishingfool

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.