The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Champlain/Burlington VT - Info sought  (Read 959 times)

Offline wombosi

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Champlain/Burlington VT - Info sought
« on: Feb 04, 2021, 04:33 PM »
Thinking of planning a getaway to Burlington to ice fish Champlain. What I'm wondering is, is it reasonable to think we can fish it on foot - no snowmobile?
Or, are vehicles allowed on the ice?

I'd like to explore and cover some area but am not sure if this is realistic on foot.

Thanks!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Re: Lake Champlain/Burlington VT - Info sought
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2021, 05:05 PM »
No. You NEED a snowmobile, actually at least 2.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2021, 07:46 PM »
Lake Champlain has more variety of fish species  within 200 yards  of any boat launch, than most lakes in the state contain in their entirety.  I dont see where any able bodied person would need a vehicle to be successful at Champlain. I've been skunked there before, yes. But it's the easiest place to catch something. And you almost never know what your going to pull up when the flag pops or your jig gets hit.  Its a thrilling place to fish, and there's very little work required to be successful out there. One of my favorites. I Certainly don't fish it as often as id like to.  :tipup:
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline Boatless in BTV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2021, 11:46 AM »
There are enough points of access on Champlain that you should be able to find most species of fish without the need for a snowmobile. But if you want to bring one, they are allowed on the ice.

That being said, you should be aware that the Main Lake is entirely open water, and it seems unlikely that it's going to freeze at this point. So from Burlington you will need to go north to Malletts Bay or the Inland Sea, or south to near or below the Crown Point Bridge to find fishable ice.

Offline wombosi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2021, 04:41 PM »
Thank you, Boatless.
I assumed the lake would have thicker ice than we have here in western MA - about 6" last weekend. I guess every body of water is different.

Offline Capt. Mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2021, 09:02 PM »
You have to remember that Lake Champlain is a lot bigger then anything in Ma. The lake is 127 miles long and 12 miles wide and 470 feet deep at it's deepest parts. The area around Burlington is just a small part of the Lake. It's also the widest part. If you are looking for safe ice, you will want to go north to the Champlain Islands.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.