Author Topic: Flash Frozen  (Read 5269 times)

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
Flash Frozen
« on: Feb 02, 2021, 07:34 AM »
Well my one and only trip up north this season is already in the books. Baby girl (Finley) on the way in a few weeks so its time to stay local since the wife is getting crankier as the days get closer.

I was looking for some of those jumbo whites and succeeded although not with the numbers, but did get size. I was also hoping for some lakers and only managed 1. Biggest white was 16.5" but I also managed a 14.5" yellow. Not close to the beast from last year but a healthy fish for sure. It was great to fish with SalmonandStriperStalke r on Friday. Sorry the fishing sucked but its part of the game here and what makes me come back year after year. You know I love them giant panfish and the challenge to get them to eat lol. It was also great to see Pail Rider again and to get on a nice morning bite on day 2! Enjoy the treats and I will see you soon I hope!

Frank and Joe. I did not get a chance to see you guys this time but this is not the end. I know we will cross paths sooner than later.

Fish were limited this year so they already have and will continue to eat well.

Just add water.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Flash Frozen
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2021, 07:36 AM »
Only hardcore fisherman do it in their slippers lol. Nice report, nice pics.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2021, 07:43 AM »
great report Sharps the sandwich looks fantastic!! good luck and early congrats on the baby!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2021, 07:56 AM »
I think my fingers have finally thawed out! Had a blast with you, Matt and your dad.  Great company, good laughs and a few fish to bring home.  Complete success.   Bummer that your only weekend to get up here was less than stellar.  Congrats on the addition to the family!

Thanks again for the treats, I am sure they are going to be fabulous.   Consider myself to be a worldly person, but what is a fluke block?  Never heard of it, LOL!  Rolled up fluke fillet?

Will have a couple 20lb+ gobblers located and ready for you in the spring!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2021, 08:07 AM »
It was a cold one, I didn't fish Saturday,  I did some work in the shop and went Sunday.

You got a few, that's all that mattered. Combination, full moon and cold front es not your friend.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Ranetrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2021, 08:10 AM »
Beats a sharp stick in the eye. Well done!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2021, 08:27 AM »

Hahaha! honestly the best thing I did was wear these things everywhere but actually fishing. I did just sit at my truck to thaw off after each full day of fishing. "Good" pictures were not even possible because the fish froze 15 seconds after they were out of the hole since it was -20ish.
Just add water.

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2021, 08:28 AM »
Combination, full moon and cold front es not your friend.

This is funny too - we were talking about why the normally reliable whites weren't hitting.  I mentioned "full moon and front coming" - someone asked if I believed in it - and I replied "not sure - but I always use it as an excuse when the fish aren't hitting"  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2021, 08:30 AM »
great report Sharps the sandwich looks fantastic!! good luck and early congrats on the baby!!

Much appreciated!
Just add water.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2021, 08:30 AM »
Hahaha! honestly the best thing I did was wear these things everywhere but actually fishing. I did just sit at my truck to thaw off after each full day of fishing. "Good" pictures were not even possible because the fish froze 15 seconds after they were out of the hole since it was -20ish.

Much more civil  on Sunday.. at least the fish didn't flash freeze.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2021, 08:45 AM »
I think my fingers have finally thawed out! Had a blast with you, Matt and your dad.  Great company, good laughs and a few fish to bring home.  Complete success.   Bummer that your only weekend to get up here was less than stellar.  Congrats on the addition to the family!

Thanks again for the treats, I am sure they are going to be fabulous.   Consider myself to be a worldly person, but what is a fluke block?  Never heard of it, LOL!  Rolled up fluke fillet?

Will have a couple 20lb+ gobblers located and ready for you in the spring!

HA! We all had a blast. The bite may not have been stellar but the company, the laughs, and some bent rods were all that we needed. Thanks for the kind words. That Fluke came from Block Island. I label all of mine so when I defrost them, I know to plan my trip again for that location for the new season. Looking forward to some gobbler action that's for sure!
Just add water.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2021, 09:10 AM »
This is funny too - we were talking about why the normally reliable whites weren't hitting.  I mentioned "full moon and front coming" - someone asked if I believed in it - and I replied "not sure - but I always use it as an excuse when the fish aren't hitting"  ;D  ;D  ;D

it makes a huge difference, some lakes are more effected than others, I find bigger lakes are more effected than small ones..
I also find, that during these conditions, fish are deeper than usual.. Sunday, I got one flag from 6 until 11:30,, and that was a skanky little yellow perch then  from 11:30 until 2:30 ish, I filled a soft sided cooler with a mixture of decent yellows, whites and crappie, I added a 16" rainbow   that was just under the ice in 45 FOW.. everything was out over 45 -50 FOW, 30" off the bottom except for the bow... the temp had warmed from minus 8 to 23 degrees, and I believe that that had EVERYTHING  to do with that rapid and enhanced bite.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2021, 09:15 AM »
Way to go.
 And congratulations on the new up and coming daughter. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2021, 09:36 AM »
It was a cold one, I didn't fish Saturday,  I did some work in the shop and went Sunday.

You got a few, that's all that mattered. Combination, full moon and cold front es not your friend.

Smart choice, Joe!
Just add water.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2021, 09:49 AM »
it makes a huge difference, some lakes are more effected than others, I find bigger lakes are more effected than small ones..
I also find, that during these conditions, fish are deeper than usual.. Sunday, I got one flag from 6 until 11:30,, and that was a skanky little yellow perch then  from 11:30 until 2:30 ish, I filled a soft sided cooler with a mixture of decent yellows, whites and crappie, I added a 16" rainbow   that was just under the ice in 45 FOW.. everything was out over 45 -50 FOW, 30" off the bottom except for the bow... the temp had warmed from minus 8 to 23 degrees, and I believe that that had EVERYTHING  to do with that rapid and enhanced bite.

I find them deeper in those conditions as well, hence my different approach this weekend. When you know, you know  ;) I did that for a reason

Congrats Mike! Great post. Congrats on the growing fam again as well.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2021, 10:00 AM »

Joe- I 100% agree that the rising temps and falling B pressure had everything to do with the better bite. Unfortunately I had to troop my way home before those Florida like temps arrived at noon. Congrats on sticking it out and making the best of it!
Just add water.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2021, 10:01 AM »
Way to go.
 And congratulations on the new up and coming daughter. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Much appreciated! Looking forward to this new chapter. Do not hate me if I become silent for a little. I am always here.
Just add water.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2021, 10:05 AM »
I find them deeper in those conditions as well, hence my different approach this weekend. When you know, you know  ;) I did that for a reason

Congrats Mike! Great post. Congrats on the growing fam again as well.

When you know, you know. I love it! Much appreciated, Frank.

I am just waiting for S&SS to come on here to give me some crap. LOL
Just add water.

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2021, 10:31 AM »
That sandwich looks amazing!

Good luck with the new addition!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2021, 11:52 AM »
That sandwich looks amazing!

Good luck with the new addition!

X2....
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2021, 08:08 PM »
Nice beard Mike.  Oh the fish ya we all know you can catch nice work! 

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2021, 08:44 PM »
Beautiful sandwich.

Great post.

Children destroy everything.

Have them young.

- J’ais Tu Promis

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2021, 09:05 PM »
I saw that too. I actually use light weight skateboard shoes before and after trips so feet dont sweat. My friend abby used slippers . Works great for travel but I couldn't do that. Nice ones mike.
Salmonemia

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2021, 07:41 AM »
I saw that too. I actually use light weight skateboard shoes before and after trips so feet dont sweat. My friend abby used slippers . Works great for travel but I couldn't do that. Nice ones mike.

I do as well, slippers in the truck boots on the ice...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2021, 12:09 PM »
All you dudes with a foot fetish. Hahahaha

I appreciate the kind words fellas. The beard is just a disguise so I can blend in when I go north. LOL
Just add water.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2021, 12:17 PM »
All you dudes with a foot fetish. Hahahaha

I appreciate the kind words fellas. The beard is just a disguise so I can blend in when I go north. LOL

Hahaha!

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2021, 01:36 PM »
Beautiful sandwich.

Truth be told - Mike mentioned making that sandwich a couple times Saturday while we were battling mother nature.  "Fried white perch on a fresh brioche roll with lettuce and tomato" if I recall correctly :)

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2021, 03:27 PM »
Beautiful sandwich.

Great post.

Children destroy everything.

Have them young.

- J’ais Tu Promis

Poor guy
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2021, 04:55 PM »
Poor guy

If this is destruction sign me up!  Baby boy due in June, she's going to be a great big sister and she can teach him how to fish.  Clean living.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2021, 08:21 PM »
Great report Mike! Glad you were able to make it up and were able to pull some success out of that cold ass weekend.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.