The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Using Shrimp for Bait  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Drillin-n-Chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Using Shrimp for Bait
« on: Jan 25, 2021, 12:15 PM »
I’ve read a few post about using shrimp for ice fishing bait. Does anyone here use shrimp regularly or have recommendations on how to use them. I’m assuming raw cut to small thin pieces and “threaded” on the hook like a soft plastic or small pieces “packed” on the hook like you would 3-4 spikes or wax worms. Or should I just cook them, pack some cocktail sauce and eat em for lunch. I’m always open to trying new techniques/ideas and experimenting so all tips are appreciated.
Thanks

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Using Shrimp for Bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2021, 12:19 PM »
small chunks or the tail works good on a bigger jig. piece of meat and a piece of exoskeleton to hold it on if needed. how big a piece depends on what size hooks and type of fish you are targeting. Perch just a little tiny piece, Trout a little bigger etc.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline Retired222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2021, 06:47 PM »
I have used chunks of raw shrimp in the summer and caught catfish and gills  I'm going to try it on the ice this weekend

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2021, 08:00 PM »
i like mine sauted in garlic butter,ill bite consistantly for you.as fo my picatorius cousins raw shrimp has a geat smell so hook dem up and throw dem in umha.shell on firm flesh you cant go wrong
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2021, 04:09 AM »
salad shrimp are real cheap i remember getting them for a dollar and trying them  only problem they get soft and fall off the hook

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2021, 10:37 AM »
go to the Asian food market they have lots of good food, I mean bait...
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2021, 06:54 PM »
go to the Asian food market they have lots of good food, I mean bait...
i heard that i have a hard time not eating my bait lol

GOD BLESSED FO SURE
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2021, 07:27 PM »
I use shrimp ALOT for trout. I like to use e-z peel shrimp from the seafood bar at my local grocery store. I’ll pick up one or two.the night before I hit the ice, and this is how I prefer to process them.

Shell the shrimp, and start from the back cutting the tail in about 1/4” pieces until you reach the part where they start to split. I take my knife and cut that part in two, and finish the process by cutting each side into the same 1/4” pieces. Put everything into a sealed container, and into the fridge. I use one piece on the jig, and fish like you normally would. I don’t use traps or a jawjacker, but either jig or dead-stick with a second rod. Shrimp works when waxies or mealies don’t! Good Fishing! Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.