Author Topic: gps  (Read 1177 times)

Offline 1timothy1

• Team IceShanty Regular
gps
« on: Jan 20, 2021, 08:07 PM »
thinking about getting a gps so i can mark spots but dont want spend alot.  What you suggest

thanks

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: gps
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2021, 08:15 PM »
For a free option you can just marks spots using Google maps on your phone. I've done it in the past and always got me back to my spot. I now use the Navionic app so I get depth and gps on my phone.

Offline 1timothy1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2021, 08:42 PM »
so i just turn my location on in google maps how can i save it ?   thanks

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2021, 10:01 PM »
Is the Navionic app free or do you need subscription for depth maps?

As far as GPS i have the old Garmin e-trex. It is all I need.....I can mark my spots and use the tracks so I can follow my route back which is important to me when ice fishing lake erie. I also use it on my fly-ins in Canada to mark fishing spots, cabin, and points of entry if we go from one body of water to another. We don't have phone service up there so the satellite (gps) is the way to go there.

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2021, 06:59 AM »
so i just turn my location on in google maps how can i save it ?   thanks

Once you are on the spot (shown by blue circle) you press and hold the screen to drop a pin (red shape). Then at the bottom click save. Then choose the category you want to save that pin in (I use starred places) and click Done!

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2021, 07:00 AM »
Is the Navionic app free or do you need subscription for depth maps?

You need a subscription but I feel it is worth the price since I don't have any other way of getting depth maps on the ice.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2021, 07:14 AM »
I just line up with the yellow cottage, the big tree and the old pier!  ;D ;D ;D
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2021, 07:56 AM »
I just line up with the yellow cottage, the big tree and the old pier!  ;D ;D ;D
Teach
That's called old school GPS Teach! LOL We've used that technique alot since Dad(God rest his soul) taught us as kids. Hex

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2021, 08:00 AM »
Also called triangulation I believe and is essentially the same idea of GPS. Triangulating with satellites and your position. Hex

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2021, 08:05 AM »
That's called old school GPS Teach! LOL We've used that technique alot since Dad(God rest his soul) taught us as kids. Hex

It does work great...my dad also taught me this... however, he used some trees in some locations and unfortunately those trees aren't there anymore.  Took a min but I got in there...

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2021, 08:53 AM »
My home I live in(Old Farm House)has on the original abstract for property, "from the big rock south to the creek north, west to large pine. It's been updated but I've went looking for the big rock and know where the creek runs. The pine I think feel during an ice storm 8 to 10 years ago. Old school was widely used. 

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2021, 09:11 AM »
My home I live in(Old Farm House)has on the original abstract for property, "from the big rock south to the creek north, west to large pine. It's been updated but I've went looking for the big rock and know where the creek runs. The pine I think feel during an ice storm 8 to 10 years ago. Old school was widely used.
The original abstract on mine (from 1901)is measured in steps... with a couple landmarks that are no longer there. I had to get it surveyed for insurance purposes about 10 years ago, and by the staked out lines now, whoever measured that must have been a midget, because it is like half that number of steps for me.

The property lines were really close to what I thought they were, but it was interesting to see something legally drafted in such a vague term.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2021, 11:04 AM »
navionics phone app.....
no extra weight and pretty darn dead on
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Graygills22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2021, 05:13 PM »
Teach
got that right teacher preacher.... ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.