The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Are there any regs on chumming  (Read 1298 times)

Offline 23mako

• IceShanty Rookie
Are there any regs on chumming
« on: Jan 13, 2021, 11:20 AM »
Hey all planning on a trip to VT and was wondering if there were any regulation on chumming? i know about the bait regs and was also wondering i could use salted herring?

thanks for your input

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Are there any regs on chumming
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2021, 05:49 AM »
Pretty sure it would be no to the salted herring, crazy as that seems. I can't imagine there would be a problem with chumming as long as you're using chopped up bait that is from an approved Vermont bait dealer and is appropriate for the region of the state you are fishing in (east or west). But don't take my word for it. Check the regs.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2021, 05:57 PM »
If the herring is preserved by a means other than freezing and commercially packaged you can absolutely use it.  If it's your own salted herring definitely no.

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2021, 06:46 PM »

In general, it is LEGAL to chum.  You can chum with corn, for example, to bring in carp.  I know people that chum with tiny bits of chopped up cooked spaghetti in deep water for burbot and whitefish.  So, in general, there are no laws against the act of chumming itself.

However, if you were to chum with minnows, they would have to be from an approved source.  Imported salted minnows would make a good chum, provided they follow the guidelines on imported preserved baitfish (check the law book).  Or you could just kill leftover bait and dump it down the hole - that's basically chumming as well, and would be legal.

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2021, 04:35 PM »
Bag of preserved emeralds from your local Walmart would be a suitable use for those things!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.