Author Topic: How to rig spoons for lake trout  (Read 787 times)

Offline Xxfitzy12xx

• IceShanty Rookie
How to rig spoons for lake trout
« on: Jan 13, 2021, 12:58 AM »
I have fished lake trout for years in the summer using the old fashioned leadcore line-in-hand jigging method while drifting. I learned the most deadly weapon for this technique is a very thin light spoon and this is now the only lure I put on my line. The last few years I have gotten into ice fishing and like to target lake trout but have struggled with consistently catching them like we do during the summer. I have tried using this spoon through the ice and it attracts them in very often but only when I first drop it in and it’s fluttering on its way down. It’s too thin and too light to be able to vertical jig it through the ice. Has anyone ever successfully rigged a spoon of this nature so that it can be fished through the ice? Sinker maybe? Different line? Would appreciate a trick for ice fishing with spoons this light and thin. Thanks

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
Re: How to rig spoons for lake trout
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2021, 04:07 AM »
Try a 3"-4" white tube jig.
👮👮👮

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2021, 05:06 AM »

X2..      ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Brochet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2021, 05:20 AM »

X3

Im intrigued  by your summer method, Im used to trolling with leadcore but never jigged  with it.

What length and kind of leader do you use ?  I assume you need it long enough so fish arent spooked by the lead but short enough the light spoon drops right ?

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2021, 06:23 AM »

x5

when all else fails, I go to a white tube jig.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Xxfitzy12xx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:46 AM »
Brochet. I use 6-8ft leader. 20lb mono or fluoro but if fluoro then it needs to be changed often due to the constant rubbing on the bottom. You want to be just barely nicking the bottom without being on it too much. Your drift speed is everything and we never jig vertically without movement...always moving which is why the spoon gets the action it needs. I’m trying to figure out a way to vertically jig the same spoon through the ice.

Offline Brochet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2021, 09:24 AM »
Brochet. I use 6-8ft leader. 20lb mono or fluoro but if fluoro then it needs to be changed often due to the constant rubbing on the bottom. You want to be just barely nicking the bottom without being on it too much. Your drift speed is everything and we never jig vertically without movement...always moving which is why the spoon gets the action it needs. I’m trying to figure out a way to vertically jig the same spoon through the ice.

thanks !  I'll give that a try in open water season (which is still happening now here on Lake Champlain the way this winter is going...)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2021, 09:27 AM »
I've only eaten one lake trout, so take this with a grain of salt. The best thing you do when going lake trout fishing is cut the hooks off so you aren't tempted to keep any more of them.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2021, 09:44 AM »
Why not try a casting spoon?  They have more weight and will be easier to jig.  For example Mepps Syclops spoons comes in both a trolling fluttering version and the standard casting version. 

You can always sandwich two fluttering spoons together if they will they're stamped spoons and will align perfectly. 

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Xxfitzy12xx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2021, 01:20 PM »
Slipperybob. I’ve tried casting spoons like that and you are correct they are much easier to jig and have a lot of action but they just don’t catch the attention of the lakers the same way. I went to a lake with plenty of lakers in it and set up in about 8 feet of clear water in a place I knew the Lakers were. Cut a troth so I could see well. I then tested different spoons and tubes and whatever I had. I tried everything to see what got the lakers to dart by the hole, what got their attention, what they hit or didn’t even come to. I took some line out of my reel and held my spoon above the hole and dropped it and let it free fall fluttering to the bottom and almost every time a laker would come by and take a swipe at it or at least check it out. Problem is if they didn’t get it on the flutter down then they wouldn’t get it at all because I wasn’t able to jig well enough since it’s so light and thin. I’m thinking a slide sinker on my leader with a stopper a Couple feet above the lure. Idk how else I could fish the spoon. Interesting idea putting the two together. Thanks for the reply.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.