Author Topic: Underwater LED Light Crappies  (Read 651 times)

Offline justinl8688

• Team IceShanty Regular
Underwater LED Light Crappies
« on: Jan 11, 2021, 12:50 PM »
Anyone ever use a green or white LED light for nighttime crappies through the ice? Thoughts on how it worked? Shallow and deep applications? Considering buying one this year.

Thanks

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Underwater LED Light Crappies
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2021, 03:48 PM »
We like them. I put it just under the ice, and turn it on at dusk. Sometimes if fish don't show for a while I will turn it off and will get fish within a minute or two. I usually turn it off and on as I get bored and it gets slow. That leads me to think some might be sitting just on the edge of the light. I also have 4 ifish pros sitting around my house to catch whatever might be hanging on the edge of the light. If the crappie are really coming in they can prove to be a P.I.T.A. because the action on the jigging rods is plenty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3waM9Rda02g

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2021, 05:11 PM »
I've tried different methods, basically just trying to catch anything g at night, and panfish will come in to investigate.

Incase you hadn't known (already) the light doesn't necessarily attract the fish as it attracts phytoplankton (like a moth to a light).
The plankton will lure smaller fish and aquatic predatory insects which will lure in the larger fish.

Just be sure to check if they're legal to use in your state.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2021, 05:38 PM »
I used one last night in 10 FOW at a location the produces crappie most of the day. I can't say that it brought in crappie, but the bullhead bite was very consistent all night.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.