Author Topic: New to Southern NH  (Read 2626 times)

Offline crashed87

• IceShanty Rookie
New to Southern NH
« on: Jan 07, 2021, 07:43 AM »
Hey I'm Conor, I moved down to Pelham from Campton last spring. I'm new to the forum but I've been ice fishing for years, just not a lot down here. I'm fortunate to have a family camp on Little Island Pond that I fished last winter. I had a bunch of great days out there, but I'd love to find some other spots in the area.

I'm not asking for "your spot". Just an idea of some new places to check out. I fished all over when I was living up north, if I'm going to take a day trip back up north, I already know where I want to be. I'd like to find more down here. Salem, Hudson, Londonderry, where do you like to go?

Thanks a ton,
Conor
Clear ice, tight lines, can’t lose

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: New to Southern NH
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2021, 08:06 AM »
Welcome Conor!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2021, 08:08 AM »
Zero knowledge on that area, I haven’t been south of the General Sullivan bridge in years.

You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2021, 08:20 AM »
Welcome aboard... wrong part of the state for me but I'm sure some of us are in that neighborhood... Good luck, be safe.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2021, 08:32 AM »
Welcome Conor

I am about 30 miles northwest of you and no longer fish that area often.

You might consider Massabesic.
Its a good size lake and there are several access areas,
There is a good bait shop at the Massabesic circle and they might have some pointers for you. The shop was previously called Wildlife Taxidermy

Good Luck

John

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2021, 08:54 AM »
I used to live in Pelham and used to fish Massabesic. It can provide action on a bunch of species, but it gets a lot of pressure. If you're looking for trout, check the stocking report, there are a few other places near Pelham where you can get them in addition to Massabesic.
Pete's Gun & Tackle in Hudson used to sell shiners and may still.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2021, 09:11 AM »
welcome Coner i fish alot down auburn, salem derry, windham area let me know what your targeting i live 2 miles from Massabesic plenty of places to fish but 9 times out of ten all i catch is a buzz very slow fishing Canobie lake is stocked every fall along with beaver lake in derry if your looking for cookie cutter rainbows. good luck out there let me know if you need any assistance.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2021, 09:29 AM »
Welcome Connor...  what are you looking to fish for?   

Lots of small warm water places near you (use the F&G site) and don't rule out dropping below the border to some Mass locations as well.
As mentioned earlier,  the places like Beaver in Derry and Massabesic (Manchester/Auburn) have a wide variety but do get lots of pressure.

Offline Dickie93

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2021, 10:11 AM »
Anyone think south nh with freeze up by the end of the month? Been coming up for the last few years but more north...Lancaster area...hoping to head up again! Thanks in advance and wishing everyone a good season

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2021, 10:48 AM »
Welcome to the board Conor!! Hope you get on some fish this season

- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2021, 10:50 AM »
Anyone think south nh with freeze up by the end of the month? Been coming up for the last few years but more north...Lancaster area...hoping to head up again! Thanks in advance and wishing everyone a good season

its getting there i was on some small warm water ponds by me definitely check as you go it is sketchy but doable i know the water though.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Rainbow1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2021, 11:23 AM »
Big Island Pond

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2021, 11:37 AM »
Haven't really fished that far south but Welcome Conor!
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2021, 12:06 PM »
Welcome Conor!

Offline crashed87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2021, 12:53 PM »
Thanks a ton for all the welcomes!

Up north I would always target lake trout on Winni and Squam, northern pike when I was with friends way up north. I grew up visiting Little Island Pond in Pelham during the summer and it's where I'm living now. I've caught more bass, perch and pickerel there than almost anywhere else (Florida bass fishing is amazing, go do that). So obviously there's no lakers. Last winter I hit a million perch and that was always fun. I'm still after my first bass through the ice.

Also, if anyone needs a fishing friend, let me know. I have all my own gear, but always good to have a buddy to go out with too!
Clear ice, tight lines, can’t lose

Offline BIBBILL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2021, 02:12 PM »
Welcome Conor, I haven't been ice fishing terribly long but I'm also in southern NH and have had amazing luck going on fish and games website where it shows you all the depth maps of the lakes in the state. Best off sorting by town name, pick a few close towns and make a list of lakes to check out that look like they may contain the species you're looking for and take an hour or two to drive by them and see if they've been fished. Not always but typically if they've been fished theres fish to be had. Hope this helps! https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/maps/bathymetry.html
"Commitment issues like a pressured crappie"

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2021, 02:35 PM »
Welcome, Conor!

Massabesic can be good - esp. if you can find the crappie, but it takes a while to freeze and there's large amounts of water w/ no fish.

I'd suggest some smaller ponds to start - maybe some coves or sheltered pockets on the bigger lakes in the area.  I've fished Little Island Pond - a bunch of small ponds like it in that area.  Good amt of fish in Little Island Pd, too.

Can always drive north to get to laker water or better ice - depending on what you're looking for.

maps.google.com & webapp.navionics.com are your best friends for the smaller waters

Clark's maps guide books are good for access - although less access over the years.  I run into more gates, private town beaches + posted signs than ever before.  Sometimes easier to find access in the winter, but parking can be worse.  So kind of a mixed bag there.

state bathy maps are good, too - but alot of the smaller ponds aren't listed.

Good luck!

Offline chasingflags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2021, 02:38 PM »
Big Island Pond

I second this.  This is where Id go
gbp on myfishfinder

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2021, 03:30 PM »
Big island pond is a great spot for a variety of species but very tough to get on alot of private property and associations around the pond.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2021, 05:35 PM »
Welcome to IS Conor
X3 on BIP....
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2021, 05:49 PM »
Welcome Conor! I am just a little east of you and after 6 years still learning the ropes around the area. Ice has been sketchy the last few years in the area but manageable. Some small ponds that hold some decent warm water species. Your bass through the ice is more than possible close to home.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2021, 04:19 AM »
Kingston lake , sunset , big island , phillips , onway, and governors are probably the easiest with good access and parking ..purchase a Clark’s guide well worth the money
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2021, 07:31 AM »
Big island pond is a great spot for a variety of species but very tough to get on alot of private property and associations around the pond.
Is there even any public access, I didn't think there was?  I know Tom (Dipsy) that used to frequent these parts allowed it through his property... have no idea if that is still the case. 

Offline MD67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2021, 08:41 AM »
Welcome!! Good info an people here  :tipup:

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2021, 09:05 AM »
Is there even any public access, I didn't think there was?  I know Tom (Dipsy) that used to frequent these parts allowed it through his property... have no idea if that is still the case.

you can get on at boat launch if you pay for a permit.. fortunately i usually get on from friends places around the pond

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2021, 12:43 PM »

There is 1 public access spot, technically car top boat launch. It is maybe 3 cars worth of parking. Public access  point is required due to the fact that our monies go to stocking it.. Check f&g map for the location. Its a little bit of walk to fish able water in the winter when the lake is drained downed but manageable.  I have caught rainbows in the cove through the ice at the location.

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2021, 12:49 PM »
There is 1 public access spot, technically car top boat launch. It is maybe 3 cars worth of parking. Public access  point is required due to the fact that our monies go to stocking it.. Check f&g map for the location. Its a little bit of walk to fish able water in the winter when the lake is drained downed but manageable.  I have caught rainbows in the cove through the ice at the location.
That's where I used to get on. You aren't going to get a trailer or machine on there. The locals would sometimes park there as well.

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2021, 12:51 PM »
Yes, valid point. No trailer parking. If you are on sled. A trail does run to the gas station on rt.111 plenty of parking there. Just not sure of the trail to the lake as I have never been on it

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2021, 01:20 PM »
Thanks... I knew it was stocked - and had even read complaints about why does F&G stock a place the general public can't fish - guess that is covered by this one spot.  It has always seemed like a great fishery - based on the BIP reports that were posted here.  Good Luck all -those parking spots will hardly be available now.

Offline AlMacdougal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2021, 03:57 PM »
Massy (massabesic) is great to fish through the ice, check out the access at "Claire's Landing" in Auburn. There's a rivr that flows in there so be careful on the ice but cool spot, can catch anything there- Yellows, Whites, Crappie, Bass, Pickerel, even the off chance of a trout.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.