Author Topic: It's a shame  (Read 4446 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
It's a shame
« on: Jan 06, 2021, 03:15 PM »
Went out looking for Ice fishing gear today. Went to my favorite Sportsman's Warehouse first. Looks like they are closing the store. (THANKS BASS PRO). They had 2 tents, 2 Ice rods and a few Jigs is all. Then I went to Cabela's my least favorite store. (THANKS AGAIN BASS PRO) looks like they are closing also. They had 1 Hand Auger Pliers and some jigs. Then I told the wife maybe Walmart had some Ice rods(any Noodle rod would work. Got there and almost all their gear was gone as well but hidden on a lower shelf was about 5 Clam Plates. Never knew they carried any. Picked one up to give it another chance after the first one I bought had too much wobble. Got it home and it is great. Now I need to find a Pop up tent somewhere. No one around here has any.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: It's a shame
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2021, 03:16 PM »
By the way do any of you think Bass pro is closing both those stores to put in a Bas pro instead?
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2021, 03:20 PM »
Well, at least now we have plenty of TP!  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2021, 03:22 PM »
Well, at least now we have plenty of TP!  ::)

I used 3 rolls drying my eyes today.
<===Lefty===

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2021, 03:37 PM »
Very interesting, last time I was in sportsman's here they some ice fishing gear, not as much as they used to carry. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2021, 03:45 PM »
Very interesting, last time I was in sportsman's here they some ice fishing gear, not as much as they used to carry. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
Problem out here is Cabela's is 1 mile from Sportsmans. All the clothing was on clearance and it just looked like half as much of everything in the store. Big open spaces. Cabela's didn't have diddly for Ice gear and some of there areas looked pretty weak as well.
<===Lefty===

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2021, 03:50 PM »
That's how the store out here looked all summer, been fairly well stocked as of late, sad thing is I really liked Sportsman's, hoping it don't close, only store out here to shop in. Have a Cabela's a couple hours away, but last time I was in there was appalled at the prices, haven't been back since.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2021, 03:53 PM »
Bass Pro sucks and they have ruined Cabela's. The original Cabela's employees that still work there can't stand them.

Offline JH57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2021, 03:53 PM »
I usually hit Sportsmans first, Cabelas seems to have more gear but I've always thought they 'favored' more midwest style fishing.  They are building out a new Scheels store in town now too- so we will have Sportsmans, Cabelas, and Scheels.  I suspect it won't be long before Bass pro closes one or the other of their stores here.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2021, 04:00 PM »
I usually hit Sportsmans first, Cabelas seems to have more gear but I've always thought they 'favored' more midwest style fishing.  They are building out a new Scheels store in town now too- so we will have Sportsmans, Cabelas, and Scheels.  I suspect it won't be long before Bass pro closes one or the other of their stores here.

Dam, your lucky, I'd love to see a Scheels here somewhere, it's a great store, when's it supposed to be done.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2021, 04:02 PM »
We have one Scheels here, and lost our Gander Mtn. (No big loss) So basically we're relegated to Scheels and Fleet Farm. Lost Dicks too (aptly named), but no one went there anyway. Sure hope a Bass Blows doesn't open here.  Scheels and the big Fleet Farm have just about all ya ever need.

I used 3 rolls drying my eyes today.

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2021, 04:20 PM »
We have one Scheels here, and lost our Gander Mtn. (No big loss) So basically we're relegated to Scheels and Fleet Farm. Lost Dicks too (aptly named), but no one went there anyway. Sure hope a Bass Blows doesn't open here.  Scheels and the big Fleet Farm have just about all ya ever need.

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Nice you have some choices. Glad I ponied up for rod making  and painting equipment, might be ordering everything soon, have to see what happens with Sportsman's.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2021, 04:27 PM »
After running into similar circumstances and not wanting to pay extra for a pop-up that wasnt exactly what i was looking for, I ordered a Thunderbay 3-man popup off Amazon two years ago. It is the same size as the cabelas 4-man which i understand to be Clam with cabelas labels) It was about $150 if I remember correctly and has treated me well thus far. came with 8 nice screws. only downside to it is there is only 1-door but that has posed little issue for me.
I've also heard a bunch of places having more and more people ice fishing and talked to lots of new-comers and born-again icefisherman this year. so possibly they are buying up the stuff on the shelves, even if not hopefully it will be bringing more money into the icefishing industry and potentially meaning more supplies in the future. (trying to stay positive)
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline JH57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2021, 04:33 PM »
Dam, your lucky, I'd love to see a Scheels here somewhere, it's a great store, when's it supposed to be done.

Their facebook page says oct 2021.  I'm not sure what takes a year, they are occupying the old jc penny space in the mall.  Maybe building an addition as well if it's going to take a year.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2021, 04:34 PM »
Their facebook page says oct 2021.  I'm not sure what takes a year, they are occupying the old jc penny space in the mall.  Maybe building an addition as well if it's going to take a year.

Wow, be nice to have it done, I'd heard that was the space it was going in, might have to make a trip after it opens. There's no Big R there? They used to have a pretty good selection of outdoor gear.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2021, 04:40 PM »
At least some of these stores order their inventory months in advance. So a store might only have so much of a certain item. Depending on your area, its been ice fishing season for almost 2 months now, not to mention its after Christmas when people bought things as gifts then people bought after Christmas with Christmas money they got. I believe there are more people out in the outdoors because of covid this year.

Lots of places out of stock of outdoor gear, and I doubt the bass pro/cabelas/sportsmans merger has anything to do with it.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2021, 04:42 PM »
After running into similar circumstances and not wanting to pay extra for a pop-up that wasnt exactly what i was looking for, I ordered a Thunderbay 3-man popup off Amazon two years ago. It is the same size as the cabelas 4-man which i understand to be Clam with cabelas labels) It was about $150 if I remember correctly and has treated me well thus far. came with 8 nice screws. only downside to it is there is only 1-door but that has posed little issue for me.
I've also heard a bunch of places having more and more people ice fishing and talked to lots of new-comers and born-again icefisherman this year. so possibly they are buying up the stuff on the shelves, even if not hopefully it will be bringing more money into the icefishing industry and potentially meaning more supplies in the future. (trying to stay positive)

I think your right, more new people and people renewing old interests have had a toll on equipment stock in a lot of stores, slow shipping and products made over seas have had another effect. Not sure why, but a farm and ranch store here doesn't have any ice fishing stuff this year, they only had a very small selection before, but might not have been able to order anything this year.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2021, 05:01 PM »
Lots of weird stuff out of stock at many stores...I went to three different places today for a new silicone band for my watch.....every place was totally out!!!!!! Never had a prob before!  :blink:

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2021, 05:04 PM »
Lots of weird stuff out of stock...I went three different places today for a new silicone band for my watch.....every place was totally out!!!!!! Never had a prob before!  :blink:

Lol, my old watch wore out and couldn't change the time anymore, so the better half went to get me one at Wally World and she said that they didn't have many.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2021, 05:25 PM »
the closest BPS is an hour away south of me. There's another a little over an hr away west of me. 2 cabelas over an hour away. next store with ice gear is Dicks. Walmarts around here don't carry Ice fishing gear. The Bait shops (if they're still open) carry minimal stuff. lucky if they carry the bait that we're looking for. No one carries mousies. few carry spikes and some carry waxies, shiners and worms

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2021, 05:31 PM »
the closest BPS is an hour away south of me. There's another a little over an hr away west of me. 2 cabelas over an hour away. next store with ice gear is Dicks. Walmarts around here don't carry Ice fishing gear. The Bait shops (if they're still open) carry minimal stuff. lucky if they carry the bait that we're looking for. No one carries mousies. few carry spikes and some carry waxies, shiners and worms

Dam, Dicks out here don't have any fishing or hunting equipment at all and Walmart doesn't have ice fishing equipment, most stores don't carry spikes, but do have meal worms.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2021, 05:42 PM »
Most places around me sold out of their ice fishing gear before Christmas.  About the only place to find stuff is the local bait shops.   With the ease of home delivery,  its much more convenient to buy/sell ice fishing items online than in a store.  :P
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline JH57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2021, 05:47 PM »
Most places around me sold out of their ice fishing gear before Christmas.  About the only place to find stuff is the local bait shops.   With the ease of home delivery,  its much more convenient to buy/sell ice fishing items online than in a store.  :P
Usually this is true.

On line stuff is having stocking issues as well.  I ordered a rod kit from mudhole last week sometime, something in the kit is oos until later in January.  Ordered a couple sets of icepicks from amazon - oos for a couple more weeks.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2021, 05:54 PM »
Usually this is true.

On line stuff is having stocking issues as well.  I ordered a rod kit from mudhole last week sometime, something in the kit is oos until later in January.  Ordered a couple sets of icepicks from amazon - oos for a couple more weeks.

Usually is, I started ordering online when I couldn't get stuff in store, haven't had a problem online yet.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2021, 05:57 PM »
Hmmmm.....good time to open a bait shop!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2021, 05:58 PM »

Kinda what I was thinking

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2021, 06:15 PM »
Is this what happens when restrictions are placed on Chinese and Taiwanese imports? You can’t sell what you can’t get.
Same may be true for ammunition and ammunition components. MYO
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2021, 06:15 PM »

But then you wouldn't have time to go fishing.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2021, 06:17 PM »
But then you wouldn't have time to go fishing.

Lol, don't have time now with my boy in wrestling. Always waiting for time to take him or time to pick him up, lots of time on my hands.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2021, 06:50 PM »
Local Cabelas in my area had more ice gear this season then any other store around me.

But now its ice season so all stores are wiped out....

WINTER IS COMING!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.