The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New to the game  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Pahardwoods

• IceShanty Rookie
New to the game
« on: Jan 02, 2021, 04:38 PM »
Live in Elk county PA. Been hunting and fishing my entire life just never did it on the ice. Don’t really have any buddies that do it either.
 My 10 year old daughter kept talking about wanting to ice fish. So ice fishing we will go.

Glad I stumbled across this site to hopefully learn a bunch!

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New to the game
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2021, 04:47 PM »
Welcome. Lots of info on here. Im in ne pa and wanting to take my 8 yrold daughter out but no safe ice yet. If I take her it has to be at least 6 inches. Go simple maybe 2 or 3 tipups and each a jigging rod. Make it fun to, take hot chocolate,  take a small grill for dogs or burgers. If no grill just get a big coffee can put charcoal  in it and get a grate for the top. Maybe when thing are slow biting build a snowman. And when she wants to go , go. If not she might not want to go again.

Offline Marauder2008

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:01 PM »
MOST of the people on this forum are cool and extremely helpful.  One of the more supportive communities I've encountered.  Advice, explore the various parts of this forum and listen to the old timers.  There is TONS of info all over to offer help and advice with just about any aspect of ice fishing.  And if for some reason you can't find info on a particular topic, just ask.  Trust me, the mods won't hesitate to move a thread if its posted in the incorrect place  ;D
"When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too."

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:03 PM »
Welcome to IS. This site is invaluable for learning about ice fishing as well as current conditions.
Ice fishing has become my favorite way to spend time in the outdoors.
With that, I will offer a few of the bigger things I’ve learned in getting into it.

Like other hunting and fishing, you can go fancy and expensive but you can also go cheap. It comes down to if the critters are there and you put in the time.

Safety first is a big deal when considering falling into a frozen lake. Learn what good ice is, what bad ice is, what it means when the ice is talking, how many hits with your spud bar is enough for your body weight.
I have spent some of my early trips in 6-12” of water smacking my spud through the ice and walking/jumping on it to learn when I will break through. Knowing when I am close to breaking vs not close at all adds a huge reassurance. I do not ever want to go through the ice so I make sure it is very unlikely before setting up. I also still have ice picks around my neck and a throw rope in my sled.
So be smart about learning the ins and outs of ice fishing safety.

As far as having your daughter enjoy ice fishing, things I’d consider are her level or comfort outside, being cold, and getting bored fishing.
I could sit on a bucket all day and stare into the hole I cut and be happy. My wife needs some more comforts to enjoy the trips. Namely, warmth. Good boots make a world of a difference but I also have a pop up shanty that cost me 150$ on Amazon and a buddy heater. With the shanty and heater she takes off layers and never says a word about being cold.
Another big factor in keeping people happy is a flasher/fish finder. Not only an invaluable tool for catching more fish, but also keeps things interesting when the bite is light. Knowing fish are there, even if they aren’t eating, helps moral stay high.
Also running a few tipups can be exciting. Because having a flag go off and the rushing over to set the hook and see what’s on the line is super fun. I personally don’t mess with them unless I am taking kids with me or I’m camping out and want to increase my chances of catching food for the trip.

That all being said, I’ve gone ice fishing many times without my shanty or heater or flasher. I just like being outside and fishing. You and your daughter will have to figure out what style suits you. Remember it’s about having fun, new experiences with your daughter and spending time together. Doing it safely will makes it easier and more enjoyable.

Hope you find the same or similar joy ice fishing that I have found.

-Noon

It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline minnook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:18 PM »
Welcome. The blight side of not having early ice that gives you time for planning. Have fun enjoy and don’t be afraid to ask questions

Offline Pahardwoods

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:37 PM »
Thanks guys!!!

I think I have a decent start on gear. Picked up a couple jigging poles, have 8 tip ups bought a few different styles to see what I liked best. Ice picks, Sled, went with just a hand auger for right now but have my eyes on the strikemaster 24v

I ended up ordering a mansion of a shack the otter resort. The idea of camping on the ice really intrigues me so I wanted a shack big enough to be able to do that and to keep my daughter warm and interested we’ve been impatiently waiting for cabelas to deliver that since the 19th!!

My plan is to order a marcum LX7

Really need to figure out some tackle. Like jigs. Plastics, spoons etc etc, have none of that hahaha!

Offline Timmy C

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:54 PM »
Hard to beat a tungsten jig tipped a couple maggots

Offline Marauder2008

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2021, 05:58 PM »
Swedish pimples, jigging raps, glow in the dark jigs (spoons), all things I've found to work for me while jigging
"When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too."

Offline fleasimbeck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2021, 06:12 PM »
Im in elk county also. The ice around here is EXTREMELY dangerous. To much rain and warm weather. Ridgway water works is usually first to freeze.  Great for kids. Most are small but plenty.  Shaggers inn, or black moshannon would be the next closest. They're fishing both.  If we get cold enough, February 14 is the St. Marys Sportsmen fishing derby on St Mary's reservoir.  Lots of door prizes. Good luck.

Offline Pahardwoods

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2021, 06:23 PM »
If we get cold enough, February 14 is the St. Marys Sportsmen fishing derby on St Mary's reservoir.  Lots of door prizes. Good luck.

That’s awesome to know, I’m a member of the sportsmen club but typically only just use the rifle range! 

Def plan on hitting up Ridgway figured it would be a good spot for some stockies

Thanks!

Offline fleasimbeck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2021, 06:32 PM »
At Ridgway use the smallest tungsten jig you can find and a wax wzrm. 

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2021, 08:53 PM »
Thanks guys!!!

I think I have a decent start on gear. Picked up a couple jigging poles, have 8 tip ups bought a few different styles to see what I liked best. Ice picks, Sled, went with just a hand auger for right now but have my eyes on the strikemaster 24v

I ended up ordering a mansion of a shack the otter resort. The idea of camping on the ice really intrigues me so I wanted a shack big enough to be able to do that and to keep my daughter warm and interested we’ve been impatiently waiting for cabelas to deliver that since the 19th!!

My plan is to order a marcum LX7

Really need to figure out some tackle. Like jigs. Plastics, spoons etc etc, have none of that hahaha!

Pick up the book Fishing on Ice by Noel Vick. It is old school, but tells how to fish for a variety of fish and previews a variety of tackle including jigs, spoons, tips. Start out small and ask guys on the ice what they are biting on.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline Crappiehunter1981

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2021, 04:47 AM »
Welcome!  Let the addiction begin.

Offline Goose down

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2021, 01:36 PM »
Hi I am new on the site

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2021, 04:28 PM »
Welcome to the site and to the great sport of ice fishing PAhardwoods. My kids and I have been ice fishing together since they were old enough to do so. We look forward to ice fishing all year and hope that you and your daughter will enjoy it just as much as we do. Sounds like you have a good start on gear already but there are couple of important safety items you should add to your list and take with you every time you are on the ice:

1. Ice cleats/creepers. These attach to your boots and are an absolute necessity whenever you are fishing a lake that doesn't have show cover. There are a bunch of different types ranging from very cheap ($5-8) to relatively expensive ($50-$100). Just about any type will work although some are more comfortable than others. They are basically spikes or treads that attach to your boots and provide traction on the ice surface. They will keep you from falling and breaking bones or worse.

2. Spud bar/Ice chisel. A spud bar is an old school device for opening holes in the ice. Its basically a gigantic chisel. Although you can use it to cut holes in the ice to fish, most people use it to check ice thickness. One hit generally cuts 1" through the ice. If you are walking onto a lake, it's a good ideas to spud your way out. If it takes five strikes to hit water, you have about 5" of ice below you. Ice thickness can vary on any body of water so a lake that has 6" of ice in one spot may have only 2" in another. The general rule is that you want to have at least 4" of black (clear) ice when fishing by yourself and 6" for groups of people.

Last note - I NEVER fish on less than 4" of black ice. Some people will fish as little as 3" but that's too risky for me. Also, you should familiarize yourself with the differences between black and white ice. Black is clear and very strong. White ice is very weak and brittle - it's a combination of ice, sleet, snow, slush which is riddled with air pockets that significantly reduces its ability to hold weight. Typically you will see a layer of white ice on top and black underneath. To be safe, you really want at least 4" of black underneath the white. 4" of black is MUCH more sturdy than 10" of white.

One other thought - there are many great fishermen on this site. If you are looking for someone to play guide or give you some beginner advice, try to find someone in your area to meet up with. Most are happy to help beginners.

Tight lines and stay on top!

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2021, 06:53 PM »
PaHardwoods, Welcome to the site. The soundest advice I would add is flotation, flotation, flotation. Wear some type of flotation PFD's that you use on a boat, or once you think you are "hooked" get a good flotation type coat. They'll provide warmth plus the added security of not going under if you would happen to go through. Good luck and stay on top. Lou

Offline Hard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2021, 08:24 PM »
Welcome, this site is great if you want to learn how to butcher the English language, as for ice fishing, it's ok. Most ice fishermen can't mind their own business, in person, or here, so beware, and stay quiet if you want to truly enjoy.

Offline rlusk3030

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2021, 09:47 AM »
Welcome to the addiction! With new or young people I always try to keep in mind safety first comfort second fish third. Make sure you have your proper safety gear, spud bar out on ice you are unfamiliar. Good Luck stay safe fish loose.

Offline Pahardwoods

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2021, 07:04 PM »
Thanks again for all the great info and welcomes!

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2021, 08:27 PM »
Welcome to the site.  Best lake to go on the ice for kids is Sayers in Centre County.  Can catch alot of fish quickly and keeps the kids interested in fishing.  Not bad for the older kids too ;D.  Currently does not have safe ice, but when the cut is frozen, you must bring her here to fish.  Best fishing is first thing in am or just before dark.  I like a white and black 4mm tungsten tipped with one or two wax worms.  If you have a graph, you will see fish all thoughtout the water column.  Will catch gills, perch and crappies.  Nez

Offline Pahardwoods

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2021, 07:09 PM »
Welcome to the site.  Best lake to go on the ice for kids is Sayers in Centre County.  Can catch alot of fish quickly and keeps the kids interested in fishing.  Nez

Awesome thanks for the info. I use to head down there and run rabbits with a buddy who lived down that way!! Always remember seeing guys fishing it during late rabbit season

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2021, 07:43 AM »
I think Ice Fishing requires the most niche equipment out of all the different types of fishing. It adds up quick!

Offline applesbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2021, 08:59 PM »
like new guys on the site. :)

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2021, 10:07 PM »
The most important thing with safe ice fishing is to use your common sense. Early and late in the season check the ice a few feet off the shore. Spud bars are also a great tool to check the ice. Also some sort of ice cleats, because if you don't have them you will fall. As for the kids I would make sure that I knew what I was doing before I brought the kids along. We used to have someone bring the kids out for a few hours at a time until they could handle a full day.

Now setting up your equipment, that's a whole different subject. What kind of line, leaders (fluorocarbon), buttons (tip ups) etc. Ask and you will receive answers.

JG

Offline Pahardwoods

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2021, 06:40 PM »
We made our first trip to the ice today and we had an absolute blast.  We even managed to pull 7 fish through the ice 4 perch and 3 trout!  Fished a place that I never new existed but saw it listed here on the ice reports so we checked it out

She’s grown up in the outdoors has 4 deer kills under her belt already but The look on her face pulling her first fish through the ice was priceless

Thanks again for all the great info

Offline fleasimbeck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2021, 06:52 PM »
Congratulations. Thats awesome.  Can't wait to get my granddaughters on the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.