Author Topic: Question for Snow Dog owners regarding folding electric scooter carriers  (Read 4472 times)

Offline Monte2

• IceShanty Rookie
I just pulled the plug on a new Snow Dog machine.  Will pick it up tomorrow.  It has reverse and electric start.  I've been looking at electric scooter carriers like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Spring-SC500-V3-Folding-Steel-Scooter-and-Wheelchair-Carrier-with-Ramp/313347645780?hash=item48f4f9a154:g:CpQAAOSw9wpf

I notice that while the Snow Dog is 58 inches long, these carriers with ramps seem to come 48 inches long.  Do they make a platform longer than 48 inches?  What are you guys using?
Thanks for any help!

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
You should be able to find one that goes out to 60''.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline BreweryBuilder

• IceShanty Rookie
I have never seen one of those before. What would be the benefit of something like that over a snowmobile? 

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have never seen one of those before. What would be the benefit of something like that over a snowmobile?

Snowdogs are less expensive, MUCH easier to store and to haul. This discussion is about hauling one on the trailer hitch of a truck. NEVER happen with a snowmobile.

Snowdogs have limitations (going uphill with a load is one of them) but they do an amazing job.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Better invest in a cover.i hauled my minibike with ice racing screws on a hitch carrier and it got covered in slush,ice,dirt and salt.

Offline Monte2

• IceShanty Rookie
Here ya go, $700.

https://www.discountramps.com/mobility_scooter_carrier/p/500ARV/

Thanks!  That one certainly meets the dimensional requirements!  I've been looking for a few hours online today and didn't see that one.  I did find this one:

https://wmastore.com/product/xl-wheelchair-mobility-scooter-folding-hitch-carrier-rack-wcr2960b2/ 

I'll be looking at both.  I'm just thankful I won't have to be getting into the project of modifying one that is too small.  Thanks again!

Offline Icefishingute

• IceShanty Rookie
This is the one I got. It looks just like your pic, but it’s 60” long. It is heavy. The dog fills it- I don’t think you can go shorter.

https://www.discountramps.com/trailer-hitch-rack/p/UC500-XL/

Offline Monte2

• IceShanty Rookie
This is the one I ordered.  It is aluminum, though it doesn't say how much it weighs.  I originally ordered the unpainted version.  But they were out of stock and asked if they could substitute this one:

https://wmastore.com/product/xl-60-x-30-w-mobility-scooter-wheelchair-folding-hitch-rack-carrier-am3060bawc/

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Better invest in a cover.i hauled my minibike with ice racing screws on a hitch carrier and it got covered in slush,ice,dirt and salt.

Truer words have never been spoken. I dragged my dog and sled shanty on an open utility trailer the first year and swore I would never do it again. Everything was totally covered with sand, salt and ice and a horrible mess. Now I have a Triton enclosed Clamshell snowmobile trailer and although my gear stays clean and dry and the trailer is great storage for the off season, I hate it just as much. Trying to lift the clam cover to get into the gear when there is a foot of heavy frozen snow on top of it is a complete disaster. My next trailer will be enclosed but it will have a drop down ramp door in the rear.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Clamshell trailers suck to the high heavens.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Clamshell trailers suck to the high heavens.

What specifically is the problem with clamshell trailers?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
To get the damn thing open when there is a foot of frozen snow you have to be able to bench press about 300 pounds and will need a much bigger lift handle, mine broke right off.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
To get the damn thing open when there is a foot of frozen snow you have to be able to bench press about 300 pounds and will need a much bigger lift handle, mine broke right off.

No Problem!!

:flex: :flex: :flex: :flex: :flex: :flex: :flex: :flex: :flex: :flex:

Just kidding...I have been looking for a reason to post the muscle guy.   ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I plan to take mine down to the valley, where it is almost always melting. I don't think that would be an issue. Plus, my wife is very strong, if the need arises.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
We just had an 18 inch snow storm here and the first 2 inches was freezing rain. I knew there was no way I could lift the cover by myself so I got a step ladder and brushed the snow off as best as possible. That still left the 2 solid inches of ice on the cover and even then I about busted a nut getting it lifted. I know one guy who made a pole and attached a boat trailer winder he cranks his open with.

Offline Monte2

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks!  That one certainly meets the dimensional requirements!  I've been looking for a few hours online today and didn't see that one.  I did find this one:

https://wmastore.com/product/xl-wheelchair-mobility-scooter-folding-hitch-carrier-rack-wcr2960b2/ 

I'll be looking at both.  I'm just thankful I won't have to be getting into the project of modifying one that is too small.  Thanks again!

Update
I ordered one from wmastore at the link above.  Sales department was very good.  Shipment fast.  Product arrived damaged.   Six or eight dings in the carrier.  Customer service for support was a little slow.  I was told "it's a different department".    They offered me a paltry $20 price adjustment for the damage.  I'm going to return it.  Found some reviews for the same item on Northern Tools website that said it wasn't strong enough to carry the rated load, or even 100 lbs.   I will continue the hunt.

Offline Monte2

• IceShanty Rookie
This is the one I got. It looks just like your pic, but it’s 60” long. It is heavy. The dog fills it- I don’t think you can go shorter.

I agree...it needs to be a 60 inch wide platform.  How is it working for you?  Is it wobbly on the hitch, or does it sag on the heavy side?  If you read my update, my purchase didn't work out, so I'm going to try to return it.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Update
I ordered one from wmastore at the link above.  Sales department was very good.  Shipment fast.  Product arrived damaged.   Six or eight dings in the carrier.  Customer service for support was a little slow.  I was told "it's a different department".    They offered me a paltry $20 price adjustment for the damage.  I'm going to return it.  Found some reviews for the same item on Northern Tools website that said it wasn't strong enough to carry the rated load, or even 100 lbs.   I will continue the hunt.

I wanted one for a 250 pound snow blower to avoid using my trailer.

Using home depot and etrailer looking at the very best offered, I found too many poor reviews, so I quit looking. It's not worth risking life and property, so I'm sticking with the trailer.

I did line the inside with frp and had the trailer walls built to 3 feet on my custom made trailer to combat salt spray.

Offline Monte2

• IceShanty Rookie
3300, that's an excellent point.   It wouldn't be cool at all to have the SnowDog fall off the back of the truck because the carrier wasn't up to the job of carrying the rated weight.  The Snowdog weighs about 330 lbs., and even though it's approximately half the weight of a Snowmobile, I wouldn't want to have it fall off a carrier.

Does anyone use a carrier that works well?  If so, what are you using?  Thanks!

Offline Monte2

• IceShanty Rookie

When I first saw your post, I thought that a steel carrier MUST be really heavy.  But you seem to be one of the few guys who carries the SnowDog on a carrier like that.  Can you give us a report on how well it works?
Do you experience a lot of the salt and mud spray problems others have mentioned?  Does your carrier rust from it?  What does it weigh? Thank you!

Offline Icefishingute

• IceShanty Rookie
Here is my review. Take it for what it’s worth. It’s heavy, not sure of exact weight, but it’s definitely a two man job to put on. I just leave it on the truck the entire season. It has 4 bolts that cinch onto the receiver from the bottom. One of the bolts actually gets far enough into the receiver that it can’t come off the truck. They also snug it up really tight, so no sag issues. There is not a great way to strap the dog down. I feel like running straps over the folded handle is going to pinch a throttle/choke/brake cable. I am currently fabbing a mod to use the hitch and front eye bolt to lock her down. I also don’t love that I can’t see any portion of the dog or carrier when I’m driving. I’m kind of a trailer watching freak when towing. It has been hard to get used to not being able to see it. I use the OEM cover when in transit. One word of caution- I fish every weekend, so I just left it covered from one trip to the next. When I uncovered it had started to flash rust everywhere.  The cover had trapped moisture inside all week. I now just unload and store it in my garage between trips. With the built in ramp, it’s a 2 minute unload, no big deal. There is no way with 3 snowdog sleds and a clam nanook xl flip, the dog will fit in the bed of my truck. The carrier is my only option other than a trailer. Which not dealing with a trailer is one of the biggest reasons I went snowdog instead of snowmobile. So long post short, I like the carrier I got. Serves every purpose I was looking for and it’s sturdy and strong, unlike most I looked at. Good luck.

Offline Icefishingute

• IceShanty Rookie
Sorry, I just realized I didn’t actually answer your question. I’ve been fortunate to not really have the wet road condition that salt spray is worst in. The cover will look about like your tail gate. Living in Salt Lake City, they do like to salt our roads too! I do spray off the track after unloading if it’s covered with gunge. I’m sure the carrier will rust over time. It’s just a cheap powder coat, but so far good 2 years in. It’s heavy gauge metal, so I’m sure it’ll out last me.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What specifically is the problem with clamshell trailers?

Well, I am a snowmobile guy, so my gripes are kinda specific to use with a sled. But they are steep when you need to load them being deckover trailers, so you launch your machine up there and then grab the brake real quick then have to cautiously step off and walk down this steep deck and hope you don't wipe out. I'm 50 years old, so maybe for a young guy it's no big deal but for me it can be a maneuver. Oh, and watch you head on the cover! At some point the gas struts that hold the cover open are going to get weak or much worse, break, and that cover is going to slam down on you when you make some sort of sudden movement in the trailer. Yeah, there are safety bars that hold open the trailer- they won't work that well, trust me. If you get any snow in the channels where the cover sits it won't fully close. And god forbid you don't keep the cover clean of snow and ice 24/7, because if you don't the channels where the clamshell sit in the deck are going to fill with melt water and freeze solid- now you can't open the cover without a torch, a crow bar and 45 minutes of time on your hands. Finally, the things are usually so light it's foolish- so you'd think they tow like a dream. WRONG! They are like towing a parachute behind you. I had a 5 place, 27' inline trailer that with 5 sleds was probably around 5000lbs loaded and I got better fuel mileage than that stupid 2 place clamshell. The covers are made out of tin foil more or less, so anything that hits it makes a big dent or a hole. They use these stupid, small tires that are as wide as they are round and float all over the top of any snow or water on the road. And the last comment related to how light they are- it's to a fault, big time. The whole idea of a clamshell trailer is that they are the lightest option of an enclosed trailer- and they are. But they break all the time! Mine broke both the main beams, cracked them right at the axle, it's very common with the clams. I have 2 other buddies that broke theirs in the same way.

I could actually go on an on about how I hate these friggin' things (I didn't even talk about how difficult it is to tie sleds and gear down in them) but I'm just gonna post this pic of my current trailer that solves every problem I had...
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I could not agree with you more Jethro! I absolutely hate my Triton clamshell trailer for all of the reasons you mention plus a few more. Actually about the only thing I like about the clamshell is for off season dry and critter free storage. It does have a tight seal all the way around so mice can't get into it and chew up the covers of my shanties. When I do travel with it it does keep my gear dry and dirt free but other than that it is a horrible trailer. I just wish I had seen this discussion before I spent the money on the clamshell trailer. For just a little more I could have bought and enclosed straightline trailer like you have with a drop down rear loading ramp and been all set. All I carry is a snowdog machine and 2 pop up shanties that probably don't weigh more than 500-600 pounds so no need for a heavy duty dual axle trailer for me.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I could not agree with you more Jethro! I absolutely hate my Triton clamshell trailer for all of the reasons you mention plus a few more. Actually about the only thing I like about the clamshell is for off season dry and critter free storage. It does have a tight seal all the way around so mice can't get into it and chew up the covers of my shanties. When I do travel with it it does keep my gear dry and dirt free but other than that it is a horrible trailer. I just wish I had seen this discussion before I spent the money on the clamshell trailer. For just a little more I could have bought and enclosed straightline trailer like you have with a drop down rear loading ramp and been all set. All I carry is a snowdog machine and 2 pop up shanties that probably don't weigh more than 500-600 pounds so no need for a heavy duty dual axle trailer for me.

Exactly! Now that I come back to this post, I realize I didn't even post some of the worst things about a clamshell. Funny thing is I don't carry much either, it's just one snow machine in there and my big flip shanty. But it sure is nice! Low deck height, tows like a dream, big tires, walk right in...

Offline 6x6

• IceShanty Rookie
I carried mine on a hitch cargo carrier.  Worked great.  Mine was the compact model, however.  I also placed a piece of MDF plywood in the carrier as a base.  It was good for both road debris from the tires of the truck and a barrier for the studded track on the dog.  Great machines! 

Offline Monte2

• IceShanty Rookie
I carried mine on a hitch cargo carrier.  Worked great.  Mine was the compact model, however.  I also placed a piece of MDF plywood in the carrier as a base.  It was good for both road debris from the tires of the truck and a barrier for the studded track on the dog.  Great machines!

What hitch carrier did you use?  I just returned one that was damaged in shipment, so I'm back to square one.   Some are aluminum, some are steel.  Since the SnowDog weighs 330lbs. and the hitch has a rating of 500lbs, a 500lb rated carrier would have to be well below 170 lbs.  I do prefer aluminum for that reason, but some of the reviews of the one I bought and returned, and others, are not too laudatory.  The worst thing would be to end up with a carrier that fell apart and dumped the SnowDog on the road.  Here's the one I bought, but from another vendor:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200696938_200696938

If you read the reviews, it's pretty dicey to put a SnowDog on it.   Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.