Author Topic: Otter Vortex Monster Lodge vs Eskimo Fatfish 9416i  (Read 5869 times)

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
Otter Vortex Monster Lodge vs Eskimo Fatfish 9416i
« on: Dec 14, 2020, 10:48 AM »
Looking for any advice on Otter vs Eskimo in this battle of the ice shelters...

The Otter Vortex series is pretty new.  I've felt the material, and it seems pretty solid.  I've never touched an insulated Eskimo.  I know that some guys have had great experiences with both.

They're very similar in their dimensions. 
Eskimo 9416i - 94"x167"x80"
Otter Vortex Monster - 96"x168"x78" (I'm struggling to find the actual height, but I think this is it)

They're pretty close in price.  The Otter Vortex Monster is definitely more expensive, but it's also newer.  I'm looking for perspective from people who have owned/used these pop-up shelters. 

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Otter Vortex Monster Lodge vs Eskimo Fatfish 9416i
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2020, 12:23 PM »
I guess I should also give my perspective. 

I currently have a Bay Runner II by Shappell.  It's great for me.  However, I have 3 young boys who all want to come out with me whenever I'm heading to the ice.  Plus the rare sight of my wife on the ice.  That's why I'm looking at such a large shelter.  I think that the pop-up style makes more sense than a flip. 

I've already got a sled.  I have a UTV that I tow when the ice is solid.  So transporting it isn't really a big deal. 

So it seems like it just comes down to Eskimo vs Otter.  Which could be an argument as old as the two companies.  Is this a Ford/Chevy question?  Is it literally just personal preference?  Or is there something about the quality of one of these two companies?  American made vs China?

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2020, 08:40 PM »
From what I've seen it's a Ford vs. Chevy thing. I've only owned Clam and had great experiences, but seen all brands. They all are pretty nice right now. My Clam Bigfoot XL4000T is going on its 7th season. My buddy has an Eskimo and it's beautiful. You are right about a hub for a big group, they are the roomiest shelters of them all. Hat said, I've moved to a flip personally. The thing I hated about a hub is loading and unloading all the gear from the sled twice a day. The flip I have decked out with all my goodies and I can pull gear from it as needed. It stays loaded and is easier.

Those huge double hubs are going to be HEAVY, I can tell you that. My Clam 4000 is a single and its 70 lbs when dry as a bone. Can be a bear. But boy is the room nice!

I've looked at the Bayrunners, they are the ultimate in mobility! Your gear stays in it and you can even move it all set up! They are light too. But no headroom to speak of.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2020, 12:27 AM »
I own/use the 9416i regularly.  It’s huge, but for that purpose, I think it’s perfect.  The size between the Eskimo and the Otter are nearly the same, and if you’ve felt the Otter fabric and like it, I’m sure it’d be good.

If it were me, I’d save the money and put it into something else.  I reckon an underwater camera would be pretty fun for a gang of young boys...

I don’t think you’ll go wrong with either.  At the end of the day, buy what you like, or whatever is in stock, or whatever is on sale, etc.

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2020, 01:14 PM »
Well, it does seem that there's a lot of positive reviews for both companies.  I agree that it's most likely just a Ford vs. Chevy argument.  They probably both make good products.  And there's probably mistakes that make it through the production line at both companies. 

I found out Cabelas/BassPro had a deal on the Otter Vortex Monster.  It's $140 off MSRP.  Which is the cheapest I could find.  So I picked that up.  Plus free shipping.  (Even on a 70lb. product!) 

So it should be arriving today.  I'm not one to do reviews and post them.  But if I find anything significantly mind blowing, I'll definitely post my feed back.

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2020, 07:28 AM »
I unboxed the new hub shanty.  And it's big.  Real big.  I'm sure the Eskimo would feel the same way.  Going from the Bayrunner to this double-wide hub is crazy.  The material seems very sturdy.  It's simple to setup/takedown.  The only thing that I'd like Otter to do is to come out with a battery operated hub light(s).  For now, I'm brainstorming how to get those LED light strips setup in the hub.

Looking forward to getting out on the ice.

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2020, 11:38 AM »
I unboxed the new hub shanty.  And it's big.  Real big.  I'm sure the Eskimo would feel the same way.  Going from the Bayrunner to this double-wide hub is crazy.  The material seems very sturdy.  It's simple to setup/takedown.  The only thing that I'd like Otter to do is to come out with a battery operated hub light(s).  For now, I'm brainstorming how to get those LED light strips setup in the hub.

Looking forward to getting out on the ice.

The Clam hub lights claim to work in any hub style shelter.  I’d imagine their claim is solid since that center plastic hub component is likely the exact same part made in the same factory in Asia and they’re all using it.

I plan on getting a few for my 9416i and some of the other hub-specific accessories that are built around replacing that center piece with an adapter - rod holders, rattle reels, cup holders, etc.

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2020, 01:31 PM »
Do you have the Clam hub light?  Is it bright enough?  I realize that I could use two of them. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.