Author Topic: Shanty with sleeves  (Read 1823 times)

Offline jasondavidmann

• IceShanty Rookie
Shanty with sleeves
« on: Dec 09, 2020, 09:52 AM »
Long time lurker here, but first time posting.

Anyway, I'm considering converting my 6x12 enclosed trailer into a shanty.  I'm looking for your experiences while fishing with hole sleeves, with the trailer off the ice. I figure my floor would be about 10" above the ice.

I can think through the mechanics of it but am looking for some comments from people who have actually fished this way.

Switching to a dropping axle is not an option at this time.

Thanks, Jason

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Shanty with sleeves
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2020, 10:16 AM »
Tall buckets cut the bottoms off slide them in the hole

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2020, 10:27 AM »
I had an uncle made a rig like that way back when and pulled it behind the wheeler. He had chunks of plastic drain tile with a weighted collar type deal on them that he put between the floor and ice as a windblock.

The only real issue was getting bigger fish up without popping the line could be a hassle because of the big gap between the water and floor. It worked slick for panfish and perch, though.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2020, 10:27 AM »
Tall buckets cut the bottoms off slide them in the hole

X2. It's what I did in my old shack. I used 2 gal. buckets. They're about 10" tall and 9" across. They weren't tall enough to come up to the floor but it wasn't an issue for me. Guess a guy could make sleeves out of thin sheet metal like chimney flashing to the specs he needs. Coat them with graphite spray lube. Ice won't stick to it. Use it on the flites of my auger.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2020, 10:35 AM »
I had a converted popup camper for quite a few years and really enjoyed it. I used ten inch PVC pipe through the floor and I don't remember losing many fish while lifting them through it. One nice thing was that it was easy and fast to change locations.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline wyler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2020, 01:25 PM »
If you plan on continuing to use your enclosed I would look at catch covers its a plastic cover that comes on and off securely, I have driven a small quad over mine and it seems fine. They also sell matching sleeves. On our skidhouse we have 10" pvc pipe  sleeves cut 18" long.

Offline jasondavidmann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2020, 01:47 PM »
Thanks everyone,  I would definitely go with the Catch Covers and their sleeves.  I was more wondering how hard it is to land fish this way?  Will I often find myself reaching down the sleeve into the water to keep the fish from getting off?  More often than not I am catching eater sized walleye so I think I should be able to just grab the line and lift.

Offline wyler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2020, 05:36 PM »
You will probably have to grab anything bigger than a crappie. There's a good chance you will lose a few at the hole.,IMHO that number is pretty low.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2020, 10:16 PM »
Here in my neck of the woods, we get a fair amount of snow along with a lot of freezing and thawing throughout the winter.  My wheelhouse is not a drop axle for fear that I will find it frozen into 6" of ice. 

I use reflex insulation to line my jigging holes.  Super easy to store flat and light weight.

"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2020, 10:17 PM »

"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.