Author Topic: Dual purpose bibs? (Hunting/Ice fishing)  (Read 3524 times)

Offline bspurge

• IceShanty Rookie
Dual purpose bibs? (Hunting/Ice fishing)
« on: Dec 08, 2020, 08:27 PM »
Does anyone use their hunting bibs for ice fishing? I currently use Firstlite Sanctuary bibs and cover them with Huk rain bibs when ice fishing. It does get a little tight. I was looking at getting Sitka Hudson bibs but I can't find much on their warmth. What's your thoughts or experience with hunting bibs used for ice fishing?

Offline wyler

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Dual purpose bibs? (Hunting/Ice fishing)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2020, 09:06 PM »
The sitka hudson bibs are not that warm independently, paired with the gradient pans they are pretty good, the boreal pants are what you would want if your dependent on it as a significant thermal layer.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2020, 09:31 PM »
Most if not all ice fishing pants have reinforced knees for kneeling on ice. A pair of knee pads could solve that though.

Comparing my Eskimo Keeper bibs to my camo hunting bibs, the Keepers seem more geared towards being worn outside the outer upper layer, with pockets and attachment points.

And if you ever fish sketchy ice, you'll be hard pressed to find any hunting pants that have flotation.

Offline bspurge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2020, 09:45 PM »
The sitka hudson bibs are not that warm independently, paired with the gradient pans they are pretty good, the boreal pants are what you would want if your dependent on it as a significant thermal layer.

It's too bad the Boreal doesn't have knee pads and better protective material on the front. That's one thing I like about the Hudson bibs and Layout bib pants. 

Offline wyler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2020, 11:49 PM »
I would not describe the grey parts on the knees as padded mostly just seem reinforced. Even owning the sitka bibs i still wear my carharts on the ice.

Offline kaschmunnie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2020, 12:08 AM »
I purchased the Sitka Hudson bibs specifically for ice fishing in MN, but also use them for waterfowl hunting.  I actually like that they don't have a ton of insulation, it makes them more versatile. With a good base and mid-layer you will be plenty warm. Add an extra layer underneath if needed and consider sizing up so there is room.

The knee pad is sufficient, and removable if you wanted to upgrade to something more substantial.

The two cons are that the lower leg opening is too narrow for some Pac boots and that they don't have a D ring to attach stuff to.

Even with those two small gripes, I still think they are the best bibs I have come across for ice fishing. I can't see myself needing anything else in the next decade tbh.  no ragrets

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2020, 06:14 AM »
Striker Ice has a tan version in the Climate suit...its warm with removable liner .

https://strikerbrands.com/collections/ice-fishing-suits/products/climate-bib?variant=13558000255094
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline slamber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2020, 08:17 AM »
I also used to use my hunting bibs for ice fishing. They worked ok but I'm much happier since I bought a set of Striker float bibs and coat. The main thing was the float capability but since they are purpose built for the ice they just work better for kneeling on the ice, d-rings for hanging towel/pliers/etc., big pockets for bait pucks/gulp/etc. Plus the outer fabric is a much tougher fabric and I don't have to worry about ruining my expensive hunting bibs with gas/oil, tearing on auger blades, hooking, etc.

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2020, 08:23 AM »
I bet if one of the brands of ice fishing gear made some quality floatation bibs in camo, they would sell a lot of them...

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2020, 08:34 AM »
I bet if one of the brands of ice fishing gear made some quality floatation bibs in camo, they would sell a lot of them...

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Beerslushy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2020, 08:44 PM »
I used to use my hunting bibs all the time. I still do on occasion.  They work fine.  A few years ago I picked up the carhartt arctic extremes (work bibs, I know ) and I love them.  Very warm and tough as nails.

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2020, 07:30 AM »
Just get a separate set for each occasion, one for hunting and another for ice fishing. Check out sportsman's guide.com. I bought one of their brand ice fishing bibs and jacket and have no complaints. Way better for ice fishing than wearing my hunting clothes.
Keep Your Stick On The Ice!

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2020, 07:44 AM »

Only issue I have with using my Striker Predators for hunting is that they're LOUD when walking.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2020, 07:38 PM »
I have had an Arctic Armor float suit in camo for several years.  I’ve worn it on the ice, the deer stand and in the duck blind.  It’s very warm, very quiet and very lightweight.  It has been used, abused an put away wet too many times, but it is still very usable and I have certainly gotten my moneys worth!  The camo has faded quite a bit but I really don’t think the deer mind at all.    I know there are better quality ice suits and better quality hunting suits, but I have yet to find both in one package. 

https://www.fleececorner.com/product.php?productid=17527&cat=253&page=1

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2020, 05:25 AM »
yes I use them for both.  bloody & muddy, I look like a local farmer but im not.  ;D  I do bleach them before the next deer season though.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2020, 07:02 AM »
That's all that I did for some time, but I also used to use a hand auger until I switched over.  Selective improvements are made over time.

There isn't anything wrong with hunting bibs and staying warm.  I do, however, like the added safety factor of some flotation capability in the ice fishing suit and being able to hang safety picks off of the d-loops, the tougher suit material, not getting wet as easily, having extra pockets, being relective, being able to shorten the pant legs by tucking them up against velcro, etc. I don't know why I didn't get bibs and a matching jacket sooner other than I waited for an end of season sale. (I got the bibs first and a jacket at a different time.)

I bought an extra Striker Predator suit last year for my family, the thought being that if anyone would like to go fishing, it's hanging in the spare room closet, ready to go.  It will fit everyone but me as it's smaller than mine.

Some things are improvements.  My flotation suit is one of them.  It works a little better.  If you can afford it, it's worth having separate hunting bibs and ice fishing bibs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.