Author Topic: New Exciting Products  (Read 10049 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
New Exciting Products
« on: Oct 17, 2006, 10:43 AM »
Has anyone come across, any new or exciting products for the upcoming ice season?

I have noticed that AuquVu is stepping it up beyond cameras with a new portable hut as well as a sonar/flasher. But I havent seen any new lures/jigs that have made my mouth water

Lines? Rods? reels? lures? jigs? huts? flashers? acesseries? clothing?

Throw in the link if you have it so we can all take a peek

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: New Exciting Products
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2006, 12:04 PM »
Have ya seen the livewell that is 33 inches long and hangs down through an auger hole. I bought one yesterday and it looks like it will work well for keeping fish alive and not freezing them.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline tucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2006, 12:49 PM »
until the hole freezes over and you have to chop your live well out.
in the heart of tax and spend NY

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2006, 03:13 PM »
until the hole freezes over and you have to chop your live well out.

I keep my flipover warmer than that. ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2006, 03:16 PM »
nothing brand new this year- however I can't wait to use the new (used) snowmachine and tow-behind sled and portable shanty! 

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2006, 03:24 PM »
Lot's of new and/or improved stuff on the market this year. One that I'm excited about is the Frabill Artic Siren tip-up light. It's a combo flashing light and siren that goes off when you get a flag. Sounds great for keeping an ear on your tip-ups when in the shack, or at night.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2006, 04:43 PM »
The new AquaVu PAkShak looks kinda cool for those who don't wanna shell out the bucks for a pull behind portable... it's under a hundred buck  ;D

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2006, 05:18 PM »
I checked out a pack shack last weekend, looks like an alright deal. Two major drawbacks would be wind resistance, and the chair is too comfortable (I would fall asleep instantly). ;D

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2006, 05:51 PM »
Have ya seen the livewell that is 33 inches long and hangs down through an auger hole. I bought one yesterday and it looks like it will work well for keeping fish alive and not freezing them.
Where did ya get it? i would love to see it.
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline Left Handed Model

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..."
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2006, 06:38 PM »
Yeah you'd be styling in that PakShak until the wind starts blowing  :%$#!:  :%$#!:
I would think if you turn it into the wind...it might work... :-\...  just don't lift your feet... :D  Pretty neat rig though...
Mike aka: Lefty,  The Yellow Pole Guy.....

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2006, 07:10 PM »
That pac shack is almost laughable.WAY to flimsey for ANY wind. You will spend 9/10ths of the time fighting it. Just think of how the wind affects a fish trap and it actually has some strength and weight to it. If it is calm enough for that thing to work,you wouldny need a shack in the first place.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2006, 07:33 PM »
I would think if you turn it into the wind...it might work... :-\...  just don't lift your feet... :D  Pretty neat rig though...

The skirt would blow up from all sides ???

You need to flip it up to get in, so its not like you can cover the skirt in snow.

It needs a zipper door so snow can be piled around it........

You can get an entry level suit case style shanty like the Shappell S 2000 for under $200. I don't see this thing catching on real big. :-\

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2006, 07:40 PM »
Throw in the link if you have it so we can all take a peek

WE tried to throw some links in but they were ZAPPED. Poof Gone. :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2006, 07:54 PM »
Vexilar FINALY came out with an LED flexlight, if that constitutes new and exiting.

I definitely see one in my future. ;)

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2006, 08:22 PM »
Where was the Frabill siren light seen at I don't see on there web site

hali-man

« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2006, 11:53 PM »
All VEX here...  :-*

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2006, 12:42 AM »
The skirt would blow up from all sides ???

You need to flip it up to get in, so its not like you can cover the skirt in snow.

It needs a zipper door so snow can be piled around it........

You can get an entry level suit case style shanty like the Shappell S 2000 for under $200. I don't see this thing catching on real big. :-\

actually it has a zipper on the left side,but it wont be easy to get in.

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 18, 2006, 07:17 AM »
I still think it would make a better black bear decoy than a shanty. Someone has a sense of humor and phantomed my post from yesterday....There is a guy sittin inside in a folding chair and he is about maxed out in space, that thing is way smaller than it looks. Where ya gonna put your beer and Vexilar? 

flockshot

« Reply #18 on: Oct 18, 2006, 07:42 AM »
speaking of flashers...im in the market for one..mine fried last year...what do you all suggest?

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 18, 2006, 07:53 AM »
I got me a Vex fl-18 and it rocks. It was my first year with a flasher and it made a huge difference. I really liked its transducer on the long wire, I used it a lot in open water this year, just hung it over the side and it helped catch some deep fish. Its not just for ice fishing. Only thing was the carrying case it came it tore....I noticed MarCum is a site sponsor, hopefully that doesnt mean we cant talk Vex, there are a lot of members on here that stand by them. I know there are other sites where if certain brands are mentioned, the posts get kaiboshed. I always felt this site was void of that scrutiny derived from commercial influences and hopefully that continues, thats the dynamic of this site, the ability to freely express feelings and opinions about our sport and the gear we use.

flockshot

« Reply #20 on: Oct 18, 2006, 07:57 AM »
yeah i hope so as well..im just looking for honest no BS opinions. i hope sponsership doesnt effect that.  anyone else have any suggestions? ive been looking around on e-bay but i think im just gonna go and buy new.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2006, 08:18 AM »
speaking of flashers...im in the market for one..mine fried last year...what do you all suggest?

Well, first you have to tell us the conditions you usually ice fish under. Do you usually fish depths under 40 feet?  Do you usually icefish for suspended fish like trout or crappies?  What did you use last year?  Did it meet your needs?  Do you fish sharp dropoffs alot or do you usually fish gentle sloping bottoms? Do you fish a lot of weedy bottoms?  All things you should consider before narrowing down your choices.
Ken                                          

flockshot

« Reply #22 on: Oct 18, 2006, 08:23 AM »
good questions..thanks..i want something that does both deep and shallow..but more often then not i use it for ciscoes(tulibees) and crappies over deeper structure. i have never owned one..ive always had to use my buddies while he was out...i dont remember what it was to be totally honest. it worked alright but got way to much bottom feedback.  mainly i would use it for depths of 18 to 100 if that helps...i fish over sloped drops quite a bit.  not so much right on steep drops...hopefully this helps. i use an aqua view when im in real shallow.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #23 on: Oct 18, 2006, 08:34 AM »
i own 2 marcums. an LX-3 and an LX-5. i bought the lx-3 before last year and decided to go with the marcum from the research i did on here ...i decided the marcum suited me best for suspended fish applications like crappies and lakers. to me it was all about the zoom and being able to adjust it in the water column. my lx-5 i bought only because a great deal was proposed to me. you cant really go wrong with any of these sonar units as long as you do a little research to see what best applies to your style of fishing...hope this helps

Offline hmw8066

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 18, 2006, 08:44 AM »
as far as that pack shack goes, I would not reccomend it.  I bought one of those tent type shelters a couple of years ago and it was such a pain to set up (especially in wind) that I only used it one time.  Paid around a hundred dollars for it, what a waste. 

In my opinion, save another couple hundred and buy a flip style.  That is what I wish I would have done.  Just trying to save you all some $$$. 

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #25 on: Oct 18, 2006, 08:49 AM »
Where did ya get it? i would love to see it.

Today's Tackle has them and I have found some other sweet uses for it other than ice fishing, you can slip it over a dock post while fishing a marina or attach it to your waders and you have an instant livewell creel.  I love mine...
Tim Rogers

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #26 on: Oct 18, 2006, 09:05 AM »
Sportsmen's Guide also has those live wells that fit down the hole.  I'm going to pick one up.  I'm looking forward to not having to filet frozen solid fish this season ;D
Look here: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/browse/browse.asp?c=93&dc=1123
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 18, 2006, 09:16 AM »
Flockshot, If you fish for suspended fish like crappies, I think you would be better served with a Marcum LX-3 or LX-5. With those, you'll be able to zoom in on those suspended fish and be able to see them separate from any baitfish they may be over or under. You will see much better detail of those suspended fish and be able to tell if they are individual fishes or a pod of baitfish. A vexilar or lowrance ice machine will show the fish also, but you won't be able to zoom in on them if they are up off the bottom more than 6 feet for the fl-18 or 12 feet for the fl-20.  I have the FL-18, but this past spring I purchased the LX-5. Last year while fishing a lake that is known for plenty of crappies, I had a hard time determining what was crappie and what was baitfish when using my 18. Since they were about 10 feet off the bottom, the baitfish and crappies showed similar blobs on my flasher. With the Marcum, I would have been able to see right away what was what. It took me a while to find out that the baitfish were under the crappies and my lure should have been up higher.  I like the FL-18 and it has served me well, but there are instinces like fishing for crappie and trout that the Marcum will serve me better.
The LX-3, LX-3tc, and LX-5 have the moveable zoom windows for these types of fishing. That's the reason I asked those questions earlier. 
If you mostly fished walleye, perch, and panfish and liked to zoom in on those types of fish where they are normally near the bottom, both the vexilars zoom models and the Marcum zoom models would do well for you.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Ken                                          

PIKEGUY

« Reply #28 on: Oct 18, 2006, 09:22 AM »
Is the adjustable zoom really that important when you're fishing in moderate depths?? Seems they always worked fine for me on suspending crappies and wouldn't want to zoom in more..but I'm generraly fishing under 30 feet

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 18, 2006, 09:44 AM »
Is the adjustable zoom really that important when you're fishing in moderate depths?? Seems they always worked fine for me on suspending crappies and wouldn't want to zoom in more..but I'm generraly fishing under 30 feet
I've thought the same way as you for almost two years PG. I got an fl8 two season's ago and it made icefishing a whole new sport. There are a few of us that fish together alot and we all get plenty of fish but the other guys have fl18's with zoom. Late last year we were on a lake that is tough to get big fish(but they're there)and the one guy found a school. He was getting some good ones and told me to fish right beside him so I did. Me with my 8 and him with his 18. I decided at that point that I NEEDED(not really) a flasher with zoom. After all summer contemplating on the model, I decided on the lx5, I just figure why not have the movable zoom if I'm gonna spend the money. From what I can see the only thing vex has over marcum is reading at a deeper depth and I've never fished in 60' so I feel sure 160' will be enough I hope. JMO
       Jim

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.