Author Topic: Vintage Sled price hike...  (Read 2146 times)

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Vintage Sled price hike...
« on: Nov 13, 2020, 09:10 AM »
I just picked up a super clean 73' Artic Cat Lynx for ice fishing, wanted something air cooled and light. My piped and clutched ZR800 is a blast to ride but is terrible for towing a shack slow and mellow. I printed out the app for an antique sled plate expecting the same old $52 it's been for years... but looks like as of September of this year it's 129 bucks now (bikes and atvs are still $52, I don't understand that one) I get that prices are bound to rise but dang, more than doubled is kinda harsh. Oh well, it is what it is... Just thought I'd throw a heads up out there.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline TonyThunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Vintage Sled price hike...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2020, 09:42 AM »
Glad I got my 90 Polaris registered last year. I haven’t looked but I heard that the price was going to skyrocket this year. Any chance you know of a place in nh that works on old sleds? I need parts that are no where to be found

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2020, 10:47 AM »
If I were looking for someone to work on an older sled my first try would probably be Livingston's Artic cat in Hillsborough, they work on anything and have a bit of a sled salvage yard going as well. It's been many years since I was there last but they did help me out finding a chain case for a 69 Olympic I had. Personally I work on my own stuff, been a mechanic for 25+
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2020, 01:41 PM »
Check Wayne Hall 5 Lewis Lane in Concord - 603-226-3283. You can check his ad in Hawkeye.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2020, 02:28 PM »
Templeton's up in Tamworth has or had a ton of vintage sleds.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2020, 08:37 PM »
Glad I got my 90 Polaris registered last year. I haven’t looked but I heard that the price was going to skyrocket this year. Any chance you know of a place in nh that works on old sleds? I need parts that are no where to be found

Tony I have a 91 Indy 500 that has been sitting in my back yard for a while. My wife has been after me to get rid of my lawn ornament. If your interested send me a PM.
John

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2020, 12:56 PM »
Hey Stealth, you should put up some pics of that old Cat.  I love the vintage stuff.  I've been wrenching on my old Alpine and thinking about doing a total restomod for ice fishing.  Was thinking about adding a hard mounted GPS, auger mount, bucket holders and just do a total run and gun machine.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2020, 01:01 PM »
i used a 1971 elan to start ice fishing then me and my buddies supplies got to much....got a 1970 335 olympic, but again we take a lot of gear and those ol sleds would pull it but boy did they work hard. 8 mile trips out on lake champlain warden used to think we were crazy. UPgraded 3 years ago to brand new tundralt, it pulls it all :-), STill got the ol sleds though, so much fun to ride on glare ice or early snow season. :-).
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2020, 01:40 PM »
Hey Stealth, you should put up some pics of that old Cat.  I love the vintage stuff.  I've been wrenching on my old Alpine and thinking about doing a total restomod for ice fishing.  Was thinking about adding a hard mounted GPS, auger mount, bucket holders and just do a total run and gun machine.

I've only got 1 pic so far but I'll take more as I go through her, no mods planned just maintenance stuff... Gonna pull the fuel tank clean and coat the inside, replace the fuel lines and rebuild the pump and carb then a fresh set of points... Just looking for reliable.
After a bunch of measuring I believe I can carry it on one of those reciever hitch mounted racks on the back of my Denali... it's only 7 feet long and weights about 310. Being able to ditch the trailer would be awesome.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2020, 01:57 PM »
Awesome.  I used a vintage Arctic Cat Jag for many years and loved it.  Light weight sleds handle the ice  and slush pretty well. Simplicity is nice.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2020, 03:02 PM »

I had a Lynx many years ago great ice sled
 That’s in awesome shape

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:13 AM »
I like the idea of loading a sled on a trailer hitch platform! That would be extremely nice getting in and out. Do you plan on rebuilding the sled and using it this season?
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2020, 08:01 AM »

Wow, love it! Very cool machine.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2020, 10:52 AM »
I like the idea of loading a sled on a trailer hitch platform! That would be extremely nice getting in and out. Do you plan on rebuilding the sled and using it this season?

It's ready to go right now, already ripped it around the yard on the inch or two of snow that fell the other day... The things I mentioned are just preventative and only a few hours worth of work anyhow.
And yeah carrying it on a hitch rack would be huge, my winter beater is big enough (Yukon Denali) without having a 2 place sled trailer behind it. Banging a u-turn on an icy cart path just ain't easy with her lol...

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2020, 05:07 PM »
It's ready to go right now, already ripped it around the yard on the inch or two of snow that fell the other day... The things I mentioned are just preventative and only a few hours worth of work anyhow.
And yeah carrying it on a hitch rack would be huge, my winter beater is big enough (Yukon Denali) without having a 2 place sled trailer behind it. Banging a u-turn on an icy cart path just ain't easy with her lol...

Bro... we like em slushy and loose.... or was I thinking of something else!!! I get confused sometimes!

Seriously though, the sled looks cool man! I would love to sport a toy like that. It just makes it more enjoyable tool’n some aged gear out! The only other thing you need with this sled and you’ll be set it
“THE GREEN HORNET”

Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2020, 05:45 PM »
Bro... we like em slushy and loose.... or was I thinking of something else!!! I get confused sometimes!

Seriously though, the sled looks cool man! I would love to sport a toy like that. It just makes it more enjoyable tool’n some aged gear out! The only other thing you need with this sled and you’ll be set it
“THE GREEN HORNET”

Way ahead of ya... Strait from Slippery's Tavern...

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2020, 05:54 PM »
That ol' Lynx sure brings back some memories! Our family had a 399 panther we ran for years, probably a year or 2 earlier than that. Not exactly sure as it was a long time ago. Kept it around and then pulled the motor out of it and put in  a Puma sled of about the same vintage and ran that for years. What a wonderful bomb-around-on rig that turned out to be; super light, perfect for the powder snows we used to have, sold it to help finance my first pickup. What I'd give to have a ride on that particular setup again.....

Thanks for the great memories with that picture!  For you Arctic Cat guru's, this sight will make you smile; the Puma sled I had originally had the 440 in it. About 20 pictures down the page.
http://www.bosscatlegacy.com/acproto/production/1973.htm
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2020, 03:11 PM »
Fish&Game is on the ball this season... Mailed my antique plate app on Tuesday and got my plate yesterday, 5 day turn around is really nice. Wish boat stuff turned around that quick...

Thanks for posting up that link Muggsy, some great pics of vintage iron.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2020, 02:08 PM »
What a bummer about the vintage price hike. Oh well. Still worth it. Really looking forward to seeing how the tow hitch hauler works out for you. That would be a fantastic setup! Flip shanty in the bed of the truck, little vintage sled on the bumper, low to the ground... I want a vintage ski doo for the same setup.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2020, 05:19 AM »
I have a 1991 Arctic Cat Jag.  I only use it on the ice but sill I wish it had reverse. You have to love the antique plate though.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2020, 08:04 AM »
Art, adding reverse to that vintage Arctic Cat is a pretty simple process.  Look for a used kit on ebay, NH Vintage Sleds or Livingston's bone yard.  Once you get all the parts, the install time is about a couple of hours.  Sure beats yanking it off the trailer.

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2020, 07:19 AM »
AA  Thanks for the tip I'll look into it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.