Author Topic: The Problems with Drilling into Ice  (Read 1358 times)

Offline amichigan9

• IceShanty Rookie
The Problems with Drilling into Ice
« on: Oct 09, 2020, 04:07 PM »
Hello all,

I’m curious in what tools and things you bring along with you and why you bring those things. Specifically in regards to drilling fishing holes or cutting areas to fish in.

I'm familiar with a lot of the tools out there, but don't really know the pros and cons of each. It seems to be a balancing act between cost, weight, depth of ice, number of holes, and duration of using the tool that determines what the user chooses.

I’m looking at trying to improve the ice fishing experience by designing some sort of tool or product that helps with some of the pain points of ice fishing (ex. a super light battery powered auger). This could be anything from the tool that helps you break the ice to something that keeps you comfortable.

If you could highlight any pain points or things you find annoying in your process would be great to call out.

If you have ideas on things that don't exist but would be nice to have let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: The Problems with Drilling into Ice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2020, 04:29 PM »

Welcome to the site
 Lots of info from some very experienced people here

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2020, 06:01 PM »
Welcome amichigan9!
I agree with filetandrelease... there is a “plethora” of icy piscatorial information on this site if you’re willing to look for it!
The one thing I have found through the years, is that everyone’s pain point is a variable. When I was much younger, I had no problem cutting through 2’ of ice with a hand auger. Now that I’m much older, it’s gas when it gets that thick. My point is, what worked for me back then wouldn’t necessarily work for me today.
Suppliers are constantly coming up with new and improved products...so much so a guy could go broke trying to keep up with the trends. This is true for light weight augers in particular. Manufacturers are now leaning toward composite flutes on their augers, and there are a myriad of devices to adapt a gas auger to a drill powered one.
I applaud your attitude, and your efforts to design something to ease the “pain point” of ice fishing. I look forward to your future posts on the topic. Once again, welcome to IS. Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2020, 07:46 AM »
Welcome to IS .
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2020, 08:47 AM »
Welcome! You should put your location in your profile. Reason being, many times the answer to a question is pretty area specific.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2020, 12:59 AM »
The problem with drilling into ice is...sometimes there's rocks!   >:(
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2020, 04:37 AM »

Welcome to the Shanty. I've used the major three tools, ice spud; it's a lot of work in thick ice, hand auger; they are good but if
                drilling a lot of holes can be tiresome. power; are great, I first started with gas, now I have an battery auger, that's the way to go.
                Of course that's if your budget is ready for one. Good luck with your search.

IW

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2020, 06:17 AM »
So if we help out,  will we all get a free prototype to do free testing and reviews? @)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2020, 07:14 AM »
Well let us start with welcome to Iceshanty.
If I started to ice fish with what I know now.....hmmm
#1 for safety and spudding skinny ice...a good ice spud....might be another alterative out there but my goto is a mils lac
#2 I have had different augers over many years and my goto is a hand auger drill combo due to weight and versatility. (drill holes with the auger and put in ice screws with an adapter)
#3 if it is an option go with lithium battery power due to weight, you will get to shed pounds and gain more user time.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2020, 12:57 PM »
Welcome! You should put your location in your profile. Reason being, many times the answer to a question is pretty area specific.
Keep it safe! JDL

I'm pretty sure his last name ain't Michigan!!!  Will you give him different advice if he is Lansing vs Houghton Lake?

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2020, 02:58 PM »
With everyone using these new brushless drills with 1000+ in/lb of torque, we're hearing stories of augers catching on the ice and injuring people's wrists and whatnot.  What about some sort of mechanism that "breaks" before the torque gets too severe.  Similar to the clutch on screw mode on a drill.  Everyone says to use their drills on drill mode, but I think this bypasses the built-in clutch on most drills.  I don't know, just trying to think of something for ya...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.