Author Topic: Helix 7 soft case snowmobile mount  (Read 1037 times)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Helix 7 soft case snowmobile mount
« on: Oct 02, 2020, 09:06 PM »
I currently have a helix 7 with GPS. I’d like to use the GPS feature while I’m driving on the ice with the snowmobile. I also use this unit as my flasher as well. I have it set up ready to go in my soft ice case. I’ve seen people mount them directly on their snowmobile and just jig from there, but i like being able to walk around with it/jig in a shelter, etc. I thought about setting up a separate power cable and mount on my snowmobile, but don’t wanna constantly be taking off the snowmobile and into the soft case and back. I have navionics on my phone, but being out in the cold it just drains my battery etc. Has anyone figured out a way to do a quick mount with their soft case or have any ideas? Would love to see some pics!
Tight Lines!

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Helix 7 soft case snowmobile mount
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2020, 12:37 AM »
If you can't figure anything out and go with a separate power cable for your snowmobile you could always try either a ram ball mount or a vexilar pro mount. You would just have to get either an extra ram ball our pro mount base to mount on your snowmobile.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2020, 06:18 AM »
Not sure if this helps, but I ended up buying a second factory mount bracket for my Garmin unit that I then attached to the handlebar on my snowmobile via a Ram mount.  The Garmin factory bracket allows for the easy attachment and removal of the head unit while still keeping the power cable in place - off the sled and into the soft case in about 10 seconds.  I mounted a lighted relay switch direct to the battery on my sled (another advantage of having electric start!) so the Garmin will stay powered on if the sled is turned off.

Pretty much what Mushroom said!   ::)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2020, 06:24 AM »
The only thing that comes to mind is a Ram ball mount of some sort ..mounted to a cut down 5 gallon bucket maybe ..gonna be bulky . May be look through the Ram Mount website and/or Email/call them they may a X mount solution. I would weigh your set up as I am certain Ram is sure to ask what weight you are trying to support .

https://www.rammount.com/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2020, 08:16 AM »
I have a garmin in a soft case, and the same issue as you. I did find that a 3 year old iPhone battery is much more cold sensitive than a new one- you may be able to use your phone if you replace the battery. For my lake, the Navionics maps are better then whatever the Garmin has on it.
I do use the Garmin in the soft case for navigation though. The case has 2 plastic rings on either side, and I found command hooks that had a swinging metal hook. I placed one on each side of the dash, and hook the hooks on both sides, and the soft bag rides in the dash where I can see it. I suppose it depends on your snowmobile, but I assume you have space if you are looking for a mounting solution.
Can't see from the pictures, but the hooks swing on a pivot, and I swing them over the rings on the case, and they keep the case in place as fast as I am going.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2020, 08:32 PM »
I have a garmin in a soft case, and the same issue as you. I did find that a 3 year old iPhone battery is much more cold sensitive than a new one- you may be able to use your phone if you replace the battery. For my lake, the Navionics maps are better then whatever the Garmin has on it.
I do use the Garmin in the soft case for navigation though. The case has 2 plastic rings on either side, and I found command hooks that had a swinging metal hook. I placed one on each side of the dash, and hook the hooks on both sides, and the soft bag rides in the dash where I can see it. I suppose it depends on your snowmobile, but I assume you have space if you are looking for a mounting solution.
Can't see from the pictures, but the hooks swing on a pivot, and I swing them over the rings on the case, and they keep the case in place as fast as I am going.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you! My soft case has plastic hooks on the bottom as well.
Tight Lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.