Author Topic: Steel leaders visible  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
Steel leaders visible
« on: Sep 27, 2020, 04:46 PM »
Do fish care about steel leaders I haven’t caught anything jigging the past 2 seasons but at the same time im fishing a spot that main fish is pike (perch are inconsistent)

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Steel leaders visible
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2020, 04:56 PM »
they sure do.  i run steel on tipups for pike and that's it.  i'll live with the odd bite off for the increased bites.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2020, 05:05 PM »
IMO the less hardware you can fish with/can get away with the better..direct tie to leader line as opposed to snaps and swivels etc ..also if jigging all that hardware impairs the lures action making it unnatural ...also having to heavy a line can  do that as well..smaller weight/size lures require a smaller line diameter/pound test . Sure you can up your line weight or add hardware to save your lures from bite offs but your going to sacrifice some fish. I do use a ball bearing swivel off my main line on both my spinning reel pan fish setup and my tip ups.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2020, 05:14 PM »
I don’t use them on tip ups but wondered as ive seen 2 bass eat a senko with steel leader in 2 ft of water and not care (first one went for it 3 times and missed it twice due to bad hook)
Some people say it does others say it doesn’t and personally unless pike season closed me not using a steel leaders is rarer then a total solar eclipse and have done well open water

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2020, 05:15 PM »
I don’t use them on tip ups but wondered as ive seen 2 bass eat a senko with steel leader in 2 ft of water and not care (first one went for it 3 times and missed it twice due to bad hook)
Will 8 lb seaguar abrasx ice hold up

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:26 PM »
All steel leaders ae not created equal.

This:

Is NOT this (imagine a hook on the snap end):

And using a leader as pictures above will certainly catch probably zero panfish regardless of what you hang on it.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:42 PM »
All steel leaders ae not created equal.

This:

Is NOT this (imagine a hook on the snap end):

Thx Will 8 lb seaguar abrasx ice hold up
And using a leader as pictures above will certainly catch probably zero panfish regardless of what you hang on it.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:53 PM »

Thx Will 8 lb seaguar abrasx ice hold up?

To pike? No.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:54 PM »
How do you not get bite offs while still catching other fish

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:57 PM »
That's just it. You don't... Best bet might be tie your own steel in 8# stranded wire. Very thin and flexible while offering modest protection against biteoffs if you're really good and don't horse. Forget those that wanna sell superline as a "great pike leader". You'd be better off with mono or fluoro.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 27, 2020, 07:32 PM »
some guys I know use 30-40 # fluoro for a leader---comments?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Sep 27, 2020, 07:33 PM »
Heard people go as lite as 20 100 i got is too stiff and some guy told me to get 60 lb for tip ups

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2020, 09:19 PM »

Might for pike but never for pannies or walleyes...

Next question.  ;)2

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2020, 10:18 AM »
Heard people go as lite as 20 100 i got is too stiff and some guy told me to get 60 lb for tip ups

Didn't we answer all of these line questions the last time you got on the site? If everyone is telling you that you should not use a steel leader while jigging for panfish, why would you argue with them?

I run 10lb mono and fluoro for my leaders for pike and pickerel. Rarely get cut off and if I do get cut off, oh well! I don't keep pike.

There is no "one lure/size/reel/rod/bait fits all" presentation that you can use to catch every single fish successfully in every body of water you might fish. I have rods set up specifically for panfish/perch, walleye, and pike. I don't take every rod out on the ice with me every single trip, since I might not be on a lake that has pike or walleye. I have different lines on those rods, based on the fish I'm targeting. I have 3 different line weights on my different panfish rods, in case they are being finnicky. Sometimes I will use a single jig all day to catch my limit on gills/perch and other days I will change lures 25 times to get a handful of fish for dinner. I have tip-ups with a single hook and others with a treble. Some lures are tungsten and others are lead. Some glow but most do not. I'll have the same lure in the same color pattern in 4 different sizes.

Sometimes you need to figure out what works for you on your own. This site has YEARS AND YEARS of posts covering every single thing you have asked about. I bet it has been asked 150 times a season what the best line options are for XYZ species since this site was created. Hell, I've been a member since 2006 and have probably asked a bunch of questions over the years, but it all came down to what worked for me.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 29, 2020, 06:01 PM »
Might for pike but never for pannies or walleyes...

Next question.  ;)2

I see what you did there!! ;D ;)---That was a serious question!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2020, 06:46 PM »
I see what you did there!! ;D ;)---That was a serious question!

Sir... It was serious answer! Serious!  ;D

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 29, 2020, 07:03 PM »
OK---here is the serious question: How likely are pike to be able to cut thru 40# fluoro?

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 30, 2020, 04:15 AM »
OK---here is the serious question: How likely are pike to be able to cut thru 40# fluoro?
Extremely easily
I think i saw something about how to catch pike without leaders but i cant find it

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2020, 06:57 AM »
I have been cut on 40# and 50# flouro.  I now use 60# flouro or tie my own steel leaders.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2020, 07:18 AM »
People use 20lb fluorocarbon ive used steel in open water from what I remember I depends on when and how you hook them and how you fight them

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #20 on: Sep 30, 2020, 07:39 AM »

My experience suggests it may be minimal. I've seen 80# sliced with barely any pressure, 130# cut over half way and 25# cut through just from the drag from weeds while freespooling. However, I been reading recently about excellent success live baiting pike with 20# in open water situations from sources I've trusted for cutting edge (no pun intended) stuff for years. Not sure if I can go there but I'll play with it if the situation is right.

As an aside, you may have a better than average chance with female pike which are generally larger as opposed to males. Why? Ask most any taxidermist about winter pike vs summer ones. I've spoken to a few and all have noticed fewer teeth in large winter pike than their summer counterparts. My guess is development of huge egg masses taxes other bodily functions and those replaceable teeth suffer the most. It also explains the tendency toward dead bait (soft and mushy) as the season progresses. Mind you, I've never read this anywhere and it's been received skeptically when I ask sources more knowledgeable than myself.

Now for another wild card. The battle rages between steel, mono and fluoro: stiff, invisible, kinks, this is good but better than, etc. Stumbled across this the other day and  if you're into plastic leaders might make you take pause:

Here's a link to the site that has a pile of other abrasion testing and other good stuff albeit salt water related: Abrasion Testing

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Sep 30, 2020, 08:41 AM »
For that tests mono weakens under water so if the line was submerged the results would most likely be different

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 30, 2020, 08:58 AM »
For that tests mono weakens under water so if the line was submerged the results would most likely be different
the other thing if I dont think he was testing leader material, just regular line which makes a huge difference.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Sep 30, 2020, 09:03 AM »
It can depend
Also i caught my only fish on the ice this year on a tip up Only using straight braid

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Sep 30, 2020, 09:04 AM »
Also i dont get why other fish mind the leader on the ice they dont in spring summer or fall

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Sep 30, 2020, 09:39 AM »
Also i dont get why other fish mind the leader on the ice they dont in spring summer or fall
   depends on how the baits being used and leader type, if you're casting a spoon the fish has less time to analyze everything compared to a slower moving winter fish looking at a suspended bait.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 30, 2020, 10:37 AM »
agree---if you are casting or trolling I don't think it makes much diff----strikes are reaction strikes. My bud says he has even caught rainbows with a steel leader.

I have caught quite a few pike w/o any leader. It's usually the smaller "hammer handles" that steal my expensive lures! ???

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Sep 30, 2020, 11:22 AM »
Perhaps the pike I chase are less savvy than those in the Midwest, but I prefer spider wire when chasing them.  Even when I target them with a fly rod during the spring/early summer, I'll tie a 2 foot section of braid on the end of my leader and it works well...for me at least.  Yes, the braid will wear out after several fish, but as others have mentioned, my articulated streamers retain their action which is lost when a steel leader is used. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #28 on: Sep 30, 2020, 12:35 PM »
the other thing if I dont think he was testing leader material, just regular line which makes a huge difference.

Guaranteed it is leader material. The mono is good ol' Ande hard mono leader material and the other both Seguar and Yo-Zuri fluoro leader material. This guy is a big time saltwater dude and certainly knows the difference. Though you are right to wonder 'cause lotsa folks don't.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Sep 30, 2020, 12:46 PM »
Guaranteed it is leader material. The mono is good ol' Ande hard mono leader material and the other both Seguar and Yo-Zuri fluoro leader material. This guy is a big time saltwater dude and certainly knows the difference. Though you are right to wonder 'cause lotsa folks don't.
Use those guys advice for a lot of things
Thing is mono weakens underwater so if they do tests after the lines have been submerged the results will differ so id stick to fluoro

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.