Author Topic: FLX-28 Bottom Functionality  (Read 2151 times)

Offline mt_ice

• IceShanty Rookie
FLX-28 Bottom Functionality
« on: Mar 06, 2020, 01:22 PM »
Does anyone use this feature often? How well does it work? The reading of 1-9 is 1 soft and 9 the hardest or other way around?

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Re: FLX-28 Bottom Functionality
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2020, 09:29 AM »
I have an FLX-28 and have used it for 3 seasons.  I don't have a clue about what you are asking.  I use the Auto Zoom (AZ) mode all the time to split the screen and show the bottom 6 or 12 feet on the left side.  But I don't think that is what you are asking as the 1-9 doesn't apply to the bottom in that mode.  There is a Weed Mode (WM) available, but I don't know what it's purpose is as none of the lakes I normally ice fish on have weed beds and i have never used that mode and don't know if the Gain Control 1-9 would come into play in that mode.  Is that what you are asking about - the WM?   ???
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2020, 09:43 AM »
I have an FLX-28 and have used it for 3 seasons.  I don't have a clue about what you are asking.  I use the Auto Zoom (AZ) mode all the time to split the screen and show the bottom 6 or 12 feet on the left side.  But I don't think that is what you are asking as the 1-9 doesn't apply to the bottom in that mode.  There is a Weed Mode (WM) available, but I don't know what it's purpose is as none of the lakes I normally ice fish on have weed beds and i have never used that mode and don't know if the Gain Control 1-9 would come into play in that mode.  Is that what you are asking about - the WM?   ???

It's a hidden feature he's talking about, the unit will display a number one through nine of the bottom hardness. I personally have never used it as most of the waters I'm on I already have a good idea what's underneath me, plus I think the normal flasher wheel display shows the bottom hardness pretty good just with color

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2020, 09:49 AM »
 I would imagine 9 would be the hardest bottom, but I would call Vexilar to be sure.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2020, 10:30 AM »

It's a hidden feature he's talking about, the unit will display a number one through nine of the bottom hardness. I personally have never used it as most of the waters I'm on I already have a good idea what's underneath me, plus I think the normal flasher wheel display shows the bottom hardness pretty good just with color
It must be hidden very well because I have never found it.The only push button feature I know of is the Interference Rejection button which is for filtering out noise from other units being used around you and has 20 settings.It has nothing to do with the bottom.It is on the gain knob (you push it in for this feature) which is the only adjustment I know of which goes from 1-9 . Which also has nothing to do with the bottom hardness.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2020, 10:53 AM »
It must be hidden very well because I have never found it.
AND - a reference to it can't be found on the Vexilar site or searching for it on the Net.  It would be very helpful if the OP would clarify what it is that he is looking for.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2020, 10:54 AM »
Just looking at the unit the gain setting is the only thing that has a 1 through 9 range. Weed mode is a setting and you need to adjust the gain. They only bottom functionality that I know of is the width of the bottom mark on the flasher. Wide soft narrow hard.
One another note,  now that I have looked into the X-28, I may have to get one for next season.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2020, 11:21 AM »
One another note,  now that I have looked into the X-28, I may have to get one for next season.
Yep - as soon as I saw it advertised, I had to have it.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2020, 11:33 AM »
Gain adjustment is used in all modes. It should be turned down as low as possible so you can just see bait or jig. If turned up to high you can't tell if a fish appears on your bait it will block it out.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2020, 11:58 AM »
I originally posted a video tip/trick that I came across for the FLX28 two season ago ..since I don't have a FLX28 and I don't recall it being applicable to my FL18..I cant recall anything about it here is the thread . The video has since been removed.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=363292.msg4076264#msg4076264

Since attempting to scour the web for information on the above link/tip I have come across some other tips which may be useful ..the Manual for the FLX28 is very basic and I believe does not contain all the nuances that the FLX28 can accomplish.

https://www.facebook.com/TeamYukonOutdoors/videos/1510972762322745/

https://www.facebook.com/TeamYukonOutdoors/videos/256889831648621/
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2020, 01:45 PM »
AND - a reference to it can't be found on the Vexilar site or searching for it on the Net.  It would be very helpful if the OP would clarify what it is that he is looking for.

Going off memory, and I don't have my flasher in front of me to double check, but I beliwve the sequence is:

Turn unit off
Turn gain to 9
Push in gain knob and hold
Turn on unit

If gain isn't at 9 I think this is the same way you put it low power across all modes

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2020, 01:55 PM »
I agree with your method. I found it on the web yesterday. I think the OP wants to know if 1 or 9 indicates the hardest bottom reading.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2020, 02:02 PM »
I agree with your method. I found it on the web yesterday. I think the OP wants to know if 1 or 9 indicates the hardest bottom reading.

where did you find it ? Link?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2020, 02:14 PM »
where did you find it ? Link?
I found a post on Minnesota fishing Reports for March 3. 2016 telling how to use it. Like was said, unit off  set gain to nine and hold the gain button in when turning the unit on.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2020, 02:31 PM »
Just looking at the unit the gain setting is the only thing that has a 1 through 9 range. Weed mode is a setting and you need to adjust the gain. They only bottom functionality that I know of is the width of the bottom mark on the flasher. Wide soft narrow hard.
Keep it safe! JDL

I may be in the market for a head unit come next season ...after doing some research.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2020, 06:18 PM »
I may be in the market for a head unit come next season ...after doing some research.
Yep I looked at them the first year they came out and decided that my FL-18 did everything I needed to catch fish. Upgraded to an insulated flip over. Trying to help the OP I started looking at the units and now I am thinking. That is the problem with this stinking site! It makes you start thinking! :)
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2020, 06:55 PM »
Ive been running a flx28 since they first came out.only thing i dont like is in auto mode if fish like smelt come in real thick the unit thinks the fish backs is the bottom and the unit toggles between different depths.i could easily correct it using manual mode but that only goes to 60ft and i was fishing 70ft so i had to use auto.it sometimes toggles in between depths using lp mode also but i can correct that using manual in less than 60ft.

Offline mt_ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2020, 02:27 PM »
Sorry all been out and super sick so havnt been coming on here...finally on the mend and as one of the posters stated...If you turn your dial all the way to 9 with the unit off and then push and hold the gain button in and then turn the unit on the word bottom flashes and then stays on the screen with a 0 if you are doing this in your house once in the water it will give a reading of 1-9. So was curious if anyone used this how effective it was and what the 1-9 indicated. I know of the double echo technique which is quite useful as well but if it has a hardness reading figured might as well use it if it works well :)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2020, 02:57 PM »
Okay boys & girls, here is the REAL story on this 'function.'   ;D

I called Vexilar and asked them.  This function is hidden for a reason.  It was a software development project that ultimately was found to be worthless - it doesn't work.  That's why it isn't covered in the Owner's Manual.  It never got past the development stage and is only likely to be available in earlier production models.  So if you have a unit that will show this feature, it will tell you exactly nothing about the bottom.  And according to Vexilar, there may be a couple of other development functions hidden in your FLX-28 that also didn't make it out of development.  With thousands of units out in the real world, it is likely that somebody, somewhere will hit a key combination that will pop up one of these hidden development programs that also are not functional.  As Paul Harvey used to say - Now you know the REST of the story.   :thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline mt_ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 11, 2020, 03:51 PM »
Perfect good to know...interestingly enough the unit i have is last years model and it is still there so they havnt cleaned up the hidden code lol but good to know that it is a non functional feature. Thanks for making the call for me :)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2020, 04:09 PM »
As I understand it, a thicker bottom reading means a harder bottom and a thinner reading means a softer bottom since a soft bottom absorbs some of the sonar pulse. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.