Author Topic: Hummingbird helix 7 issues.  (Read 3153 times)

Offline quickshake

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hummingbird helix 7 issues.
« on: Mar 06, 2020, 06:46 AM »
Asking for my fishing partner, he has this model and has issues with the unit staying on. He goes out in the morning with a fully charged battery and the unit draws the battery down to 70% within 4 hours and then shuts off. He carries a 2nd one  with the same issue. He keeps his screen brightness down around 20-25% all the time to try and conserve battery, is this normal or ? I don't know much about it and neither does he. He  received it for a x-mas present.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hummingbird helix 7 issues.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2020, 07:16 AM »
I think we need more info:  what kind of battery?  SLA or Lithium?  What size battery (aHrs)?  Is it a GPS, DI or SI unit?  First Gen, second Gen??

ChillNtheMost

« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2020, 07:21 AM »
I have the helix 7 as well. With a 10 ah SLA battery I get around 4 hours of battery life. After switching to the 12 ah lithium from amped outdoors I haven’t run out of battery in a full day of fishing yet.

Offline quickshake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2020, 07:26 AM »
I have the helix 7 as well. With a 10 ah SLA battery I get around 4 hours of battery life. After switching to the 12 ah lithium from amped outdoors I haven’t run out of battery in a full day of fishing yet.
yes he has 2 10 ah sla's. Is it normal to shut off though when the power gets lower than 70%?

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2020, 07:49 AM »
Mine runs all day. Sorry I don't have a solution.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2020, 07:54 AM »
Those units use a good amount of power.

My buddy has a helix 7 G2.

Had the same issues with his SLA batteries. He purchased a Dakota lithium and it's been fine ever since.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2020, 08:02 AM »
I have a Helix 7 g2 and the last time I was out I used it for 7 hrs. At the end of the day my battery monitor was reading 70%. I use night mode with screen brightness set at 5. I use a 9ah sla battery.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2020, 08:05 AM »
OP

Have you checked to see if you are running the newest software?
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline quickshake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2020, 08:14 AM »
OP

Have you checked to see if you are running the newest software?
no he/we haven't he just got it for x-mas, neither one of us have ever used a flasher or any other electronics of any type until this year, we're old school boy's I guess.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2020, 08:19 AM »
I would question those batteries and even more so the charger that he uses with them.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline quickshake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2020, 08:26 AM »
I would question those batteries and even more so the charger that he uses with them.
ya IDK where his wife got the spare battery from but it's identical to the original battery and he uses the charger that came with it.  I do know that when he puts the charged battery in his screen reads 100% power though on both and it literally drops 1% every 5-6 minutes or so.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2020, 09:00 AM »
I don't put much trust in the Helix 7 battery guage. I don't think mine has ever read 100% when fully charged. My battery voltage will read 12.65 volts with my multimeter and the battery monitor will read something like 86%. The last time I was out it read 80% at the start of the day and somewhere around 67% after 7 hours. I wouldn't think you should have a problem with low voltage if you are using a freshly charged 12v 10ah battery in good condition.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline quickshake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2020, 04:51 PM »
I don't put much trust in the Helix 7 battery guage. I don't think mine has ever read 100% when fully charged. My battery voltage will read 12.65 volts with my multimeter and the battery monitor will read something like 86%. The last time I was out it read 80% at the start of the day and somewhere around 67% after 7 hours. I wouldn't think you should have a problem with low voltage if you are using a freshly charged 12v 10ah battery in good condition.

His unit will shut right off the second it hit 70% on the screen. You can restart it and within 30 seconds it will shut off again. I think there is other issues with it.

Offline gaspumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2020, 08:13 PM »
On the Humminbird Helix units they will shut off when your battery reaches 70% or lower.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2020, 03:15 AM »
Mine has never shut off and I've had it down to 12%

I've also ran mine for 9 hours strait...

Running on a 9ah from sheels
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2020, 09:27 AM »
The Helix 7 uses .85 amps per hour. So a 10AH battery should last at least 10 hours. If not something is wrong with battery or charger.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2020, 09:03 AM »
A fully charged sla batt should read around 13.1-13.5 volts fully charged.Any good charger/maintainer will automatically charge it to that point.The helix uses alot of power .85 is probably an estimate.Those units def need a lithium battery the bigger the better.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2020, 09:44 AM »
Been using regular batteries for mine for three years with no problems. I turn the back light to six or seven and it run all day.

Offline quickshake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2020, 10:39 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, sounds like everybody has a different experience with them. He is going to try a new lithium battery for next season, Now will he need a different charger for that or will his work? His is putting out 14.17 volt on the multimeter.

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2020, 02:08 PM »
Lithium batteries need special charger to get best life.They have chargers that can charge all types and are not expensive.I Personally use noco chargers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.