Author Topic: Best cleats on the market?  (Read 29487 times)

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best cleats on the market?
« on: Oct 04, 2006, 08:58 PM »
I want to get Marbury a new pair of cleats for the upcoming season. I see from some other posts that Stabilizers are highly recommended.

Are they still on top?

I'm looking for something reasonably priced but do the job. I don't want to put screws in his boots as he uses them for other purposes.   

Thanks
Bart

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best cleats on the market?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2006, 01:13 PM »
I found a pair last year at Gander Mountain that were made by HT Enterprises that look identical to the Stabalicers.  They have the same velcro straps and the screws in the bottom.  The nice thing was they were only $19.99 instead of the $50 price tag for Stabalicers.  I picked up a couple pairs for myself and my buddy.  I never seen them in a mag or web and thought they only made the rubber stretchy cleats.  I'll see if I can find a link to them. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2006, 01:27 PM »
What size do you need?  I bought a bucketfull if ice gear on a garage sale this last summer and there were 4-5 pair of I think stabilicers or Hts. Not sure ,  saw they were all sized mediums but they are the rubber soled with screws for cleats and black velcro straps.  dont know what im gonna do with them quite yet, they wont fit me and my wife probly only needs one pair. Ill have to go see what brand they are for sure.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2006, 08:08 PM »
i have stabalicers and like them very much

FYI if the straps wont fit over your boots just call them and they will send you extentions for free

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2006, 08:33 AM »
What size do you need?  I bought a bucketfull if ice gear on a garage sale this last summer and there were 4-5 pair of I think stabilicers or Hts. Not sure ,  saw they were all sized mediums but they are the rubber soled with screws for cleats and black velcro straps.  dont know what im gonna do with them quite yet, they wont fit me and my wife probly only needs one pair. Ill have to go see what brand they are for sure.

Thanks for the offer. Marbury is in a size 12 (only 14 years old) so he's in line for the "big foot" size.

Well Bart if you really CAN'T put screws in the kid's boots get the Stabilicers for sure.  I thought they worked pretty good and are probably the next best thing.  I finally put in a bunch of 1/2" hexheads into my boots last year and WOW does that ever work good.  I just make sure to take my boots off before I come in the kitchen :D

I can just visualize him coming in with his friends after a snowball fight and ripping into my hardwood floors. Maybe I could get him a "play" pair of boots and save the Sorels for ice fishing.

Thanks for the posts eveyone. 
Bart

thebuckmaster

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2006, 03:29 PM »
I want to get Marbury a new pair of cleats for the upcoming season. I see from some other posts that Stabilizers are highly recommended.

Are they still on top?

I'm looking for something reasonably priced but do the job. I don't want to put screws in his boots as he uses them for other purposes.   

Thanks
Bart

I just purchased a pair of Stabilicers from CAMPMOR in New Jersey.
One pair XXL with two packages of 50, extra cleats, delivered to my door in Winnipeg $66.85 Can.
They were the best price I found and nobody could touch that price.
I've been looking for a set for a while now, glad I found Campmor! ;D ;D

Offline icetechy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Give him room Brodie"
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2006, 04:12 PM »
Arctic Spurs - Thorne Bros. carries them for $17.99.  For the money they are absolutely fantastic and don't fly off my feet like the slip-ons.  I have run these for 5 years with my mickies boots and you never slip in these.
Tim Rogers

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2006, 01:51 PM »
IMO,Go with the Stabilicers. They are well worth the extra money.  I have had a pair for almost 10 years now and they still work great.  My cousin bought a pair of the cheaper knock offs (HTs) last year and wore them twice then the screws started falling out.  By the 4th time he used them 50% of screws had fallen out!
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2006, 08:09 PM »
Arctic Spurs - Thorne Bros. carries them for $17.99.  For the money they are absolutely fantastic and don't fly off my feet like the slip-ons.  I have run these for 5 years with my mickies boots and you never slip in these.

I also have a pair of these. They are easy on easy off, and they grip good. They will tear up the floor though, so don't forget to take them off ;D

thebuckmaster

« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2006, 02:47 PM »

Just recieved my Stabilicers on the weekend.
There is stuff for playing then there is stuff for the serious outdoorsman. ;)
Very impressed with the quality of these Stabilicers. ;D
My bones are well worth the investment of $66.85 Can. ;)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2006, 06:28 PM »
Long before Stabilicers hit the market there has been KORKERS which were originally designed for saltwater jetty fishermen.  I have worn these for more than ten years and they are fantastic!  They consist of a thick rubber sole studded with steel cleats similar to golf cleats which DO NOT EVER FALL OUT!!!  Picked up a pair for my buddy at a yard sale for $10 bucks!!!   Brand new thay are about $35, and worth every penny!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2006, 06:33 PM »
there are these new stabilicers "lite" as well, seem pretty sturdy for "lite" equipment

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2006, 07:59 PM »
2 posts up. I have a pair of KORKERS my wife bought at a garage sale a few years ago. I've never worn them, always the stretch on kind. I'll now have to do a comparison on them both. They really are heavy duty!!!!!
      Kim ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :tipup: :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Tautog Rich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2006, 06:10 PM »
Have worn Korkersfor several decades doing the jetty jockey thing in Jetty Country in NJ. They have saved my life several times while playing bass over 40 lbs in the rocky suds. I do llike the stretchy cleats for ice fishing. However, I will be adding some screws to the heels of my boots, as the stretchies ain't got no coverage back there!

Offline PigShanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2006, 09:16 AM »
there are these new stabilicers "lite" as well, seem pretty sturdy for "lite" equipment

Hey, IceJunky. I clicked the link and it shows you are still logged in. Hope you don't mind, but I just rang up a $2400 bill in your name. :o ;D :woot: :callcops:  Man I love this site.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2006, 07:00 PM »
I finally used my HT that look like a sandal and just love them.

PWR BAIT

« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2007, 06:37 AM »
Long before Stabilicers hit the market there has been KORKERS which were originally designed for saltwater jetty fishermen.  I have worn these for more than ten years and they are fantastic!  They consist of a thick rubber sole studded with steel cleats similar to golf cleats which DO NOT EVER FALL OUT!!!  Picked up a pair for my buddy at a yard sale for $10 bucks!!!   Brand new thay are about $35, and worth every penny!
I agree i also have korkers allot of fisherman use the in the trout streams around here i also picked mine up at a garage sale for 10 bucks. a friend of mine gave me a pair also.

Offline pike-perch01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2007, 10:09 AM »
i have used the hodgman gladiator wading sandal.purchased at fish usa .have had them 3 years no problem.have not had a problem when there is snow on the ice.no snow buildup. :D

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2007, 03:54 PM »
I really like the boot chains from Cabelas. I think they're only about $15.00 too. Youu don't feel like you're walking on a platform either.

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2007, 06:09 PM »
I bought a pair of Yaktrax Pros earlier this season.  Have used them extensively and like them a lot.  They are easy to put on and take off, stay in place, and grip well on the ice.  I bought them because I can wear them into and out of my Clam 5600 without tearing up the floor.  The one condition they didn't handle that well was when there was some fresh fluffly snow (1/2 inch or so) on top of glare ice.  They tended to pack up with the loose snow and not grip the ice too well under the snow.  Still way better than nothing.  O/W, they have been perfect.  Also, durable getting to and from the ice on rocks and gravel, etc.

They fit both my insulated Danner elk boots, and stretch to fit Micky Mouse boots in frigid conditions.

My .02.

Tight lines.

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2007, 06:25 PM »
Best cleats I found so far are hex head screws put into lugs of your boots. Just be careful when putting on the brakes. :o Could end up on your face. Lugs in the boots don't have a lot of give like other cleats.  The price is right too!  ;D FH
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline HARDWATER IOWAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2007, 06:35 PM »
Yaktrax Pro. They work on lots of snow, no snow and you can walk on gravel , dirt mud it doesnt matter a little bit pricier but worth the $$. Hope I can use them no ice in Iowa....yet

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2007, 06:42 PM »
I have had a pair of stabilicers for 8 years now and I have had NO problems with them whatsoever.  I feel they are well worth the $$$.  But watch out!!  There is a cheaper knockoff version out there that really stinks.  My cousin bought a pair last year and the screws were falling out the second day that he wore them!!!!  :o :o
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline George_B

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2007, 10:54 PM »
Ice Grippers Minnesota

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2007, 07:44 PM »
Yak Trak Pros on MM boots. No problems!!!!

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2007, 09:48 PM »
I have Get a Grip Ultras- not good on snow covered ice, not deep enough cleats. On pure ice, I like them.

Offline pike-perch01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2007, 09:50 PM »
hodgman gladiators.good companyand good customer service.bought them at fish usa

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #27 on: Sep 09, 2010, 04:29 PM »
Just picked up a pair of these http://www.korkers.com/footwear/winter-traction/korkeez-ice-cleat.html for $12.99 at my local dicks sporting goods......   
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

surflizard

« Reply #28 on: Sep 09, 2010, 04:42 PM »
Yak Trak Pros for me, they've taken everything I throw at em and keep on truckin !  ;D

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Sep 09, 2010, 05:02 PM »
Stabilicers, They strap to your boots like a sandal and have replacable cleats.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.