Author Topic: Minnesota has Crappies - this was caught close to Minneapolis in Victoria, MN  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I didn't catch it but I would have loved to do so.

19 1/8 inches and 3 lbs. 15 oz.

Not bad for a lake a few minutes from the metro area.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Oh good job sending people to the lakes around the metro! Keeps them off your lakes! Well done!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Not getting that fish through a 6" hole!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Not getting that fish through a 6" hole!

Exactly!! We who live in Minnesota don’t like 6 inch holes because our fish are just too big and people from other states with tiny fish keep forgetting the  constraints we people in Minnesota must deal with.  ;D ;D ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Not too bad! A little small for a Minnesnowta crappie though!! ::) ;) :flex: :whistle: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
Holy Cow. Another reason to leave Illinois.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Not too bad! A little small for a Minnesnowta crappie though!! ::) ;) :flex: :whistle: :icefish:

I keep trying to explain but it isn’t easy... ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
How many tacos from that 1 fish? ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Its daunting down there these days for sure. 

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
there goes another great lake.  I bet its swarming with people, unless its private.

hellofa nice fish! think our record is 4# somethin.  I have caught a boatload of 2+ pounders but cant even imagine one 4#.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
there goes another great lake.  I bet its swarming with people, unless its private.

hellofa nice fish! think our record is 4# somethin.  I have caught a boatload of 2+ pounders but cant even imagine one 4#.

Nah, the lake will be fine.

That is standard fare for most lakes in Minnesota, and we have over 10,000 of them (with ice).

;D ;D ;D ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline earlyrise

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie

I'm guessing its from Lake Waconia. The shantytown there produces a couple of these a year but it is absolutely ridiculous how many permanents fill one bay of a 3000 acre lake. Its definitely not "standard fare" but it is interesting that it keeps producing a couple a year with such incredible pressure.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Its definitely not "standard fare" but it is interesting that it keeps producing a couple a year with such incredible pressure.

This is exactly what we keep telling the outsiders and it seems to work.  ;D ;D ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
What a specimen.  Guys fish their whole life for one like that.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
well if its 3000acres then not so bad.  im used to 100-600 acre lakes we have around here.  story of a fish like that gets out and its ruined for years. 

lol I know its not standard fare.  fish Minnesota lots back in the day, till the limits put a damper on it.  the group just topped going after that.  awesome fishing there for sure! 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
well if its 3000acres then not so bad.  im used to 100-600 acre lakes we have around here.  story of a fish like that gets out and its ruined for years. 

lol I know its not standard fare.  fish Minnesota lots back in the day, till the limits put a damper on it.  the group just topped going after that.  awesome fishing there for sure!

You and your group are still more than welcome!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!

MN record is 5# even, caught in 1940 from the Vermillion River.
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
A thread about my absolute hands=down favorite fish to eat is enjoyable to read for sure. I am reading while eating a plate full of Lake Champlain crappies caught this weekend. I get both black and white crappies in the same holes ! I have caught them up to 17 inches there and talked to a no BS guy that has caught many over 3 pounds, but MN seems tp produce the best ones - wish I were there sometimes   ;D :o
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
Holy crap, that's a huge crappie! :o
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
WOW.  Very nice

Offline WalleyeWyatt

• IceShanty Rookie
Beautiful fish, Unfortunately the lake has been LOADED with houses since it was caught...

Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie
Beautiful fish, Unfortunately the lake has been LOADED with houses since it was caught...
So it wasn't Waconia?

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict

I don't blame you, there are plenty of reasons....I have business interests downstate, hate paying the new taxes, wish there was a reasonable way of transferring out, looking ahead, afraid the Fed could get just as bad or worse.  More than happy to live where I do for lots of reasons, but still have not run into a crappie over 16", think the Minnesotan's must be feeding their fish well.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Excellent fish at 19 1/8 inches and 3 lbs. 15 oz.  Unfortunitly to show the true fish size you should not hold a fish at full arms  length out away from your body.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Unfortunitly to show the true fish size you should not hold a fish at full arms  length out away from your body.

I agree 99% of the time, especially with trout photos...However, I'm pretty sure you could hold that crappie behind you and still notice it's a giant!  Unbelievably jealous...

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Excellent fish at 19 1/8 inches and 3 lbs. 15 oz.  Unfortunitly to show the true fish size you should not hold a fish at full arms  length out away from your body.
.        Sounds like someone is jealous

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
.        Sounds like someone is jealous

If they moved to Minnesota why would feel better.  ;D ;D ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
19 inches is 19 inches no matter how you hold it.  Even this turns into a sh*t show!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.