New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: TROUT? in Saratoga lake  (Read 4488 times)

Offline Qwertyuiop

• IceShanty Rookie
TROUT? in Saratoga lake
« on: Feb 17, 2020, 08:25 PM »
Anybody ever see any Coldwater species caught in Saratoga lake? With it's connection to the kaydeross some deep water it seems like there should be some brown, Brook, lake trout or landlocked salmon in there.

Thoughts?

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Re: TROUT? in Saratoga lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2020, 07:32 AM »
I hear there are some rainbows.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2020, 11:13 PM »
I caught a beautiful rainbow summer of 2018    Only one I've ever seen there

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2020, 11:39 AM »
I've seen two different buddies catch a nice brook trout using crappie jigs in the same area on Toga, different years. Those are the only two I've ever seen come out of Toga.
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2020, 11:41 AM »
There is no salmon or lakers (to my knowledge) in there. The Kay holds browns, rainbows and brookies but they are found miles away from where the creek empties into the lake. The creek is mostly warm water species by the lake.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2020, 07:36 PM »
Many many many years ago, Saratoga used to be a trout only lake. I’m talking hundreds of years ago. You can actually find info online about it if you search hard enough. I thought that was interesting.

I haven’t heard of any... but that doesn’t mean they aren’t In there. I mean there have been Brookies caught in one area of round lake, so toga for sure could have some trout in it although I wouldn’t go targeting them.

Offline Lundpredator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2020, 07:42 PM »
I actually had this exact same thought so in the summer time I trolled the 90 foot section with downriggers and leadcore for about 3 hours.  Caught nothing haha but I was too curious.

Offline mee2gofishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2020, 08:58 PM »
Caught this guy in about 12 feet of water on Monday.

Offline Lundpredator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2020, 10:00 PM »
Solid fish! Nice work!

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2020, 10:24 AM »
great catch mee2   that must have been quite a surprise!

Offline seanc25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2020, 12:08 PM »
Pretty fish and we'll proportioned.  Looks like they do pretty well in there

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2020, 12:28 PM »
I still have a hard time believing a Landlocked Salmon was caught out of Saratoga Lake. They aren't stocked in the lake nor any of the tributaries that flow into it (confimed via stocking records dating back to 2011). Not calling you a liar per say but im always skeptical of fish pictured on the ice with no defining backround. Seen too many people fudge about the location caught.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2020, 02:26 PM »
I still have a hard time believing a Landlocked Salmon was caught out of Saratoga Lake. They aren't stocked in the lake nor any of the tributaries that flow into it (confimed via stocking records dating back to 2011). Not calling you a liar per say but im always skeptical of fish pictured on the ice with no defining backround. Seen too many people fudge about the location caught.

Agreed.

Offline cny.nate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2020, 02:49 PM »

IDK Zach - looks more like a brown to me. Nice one at that!

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2020, 03:03 PM »
IDK Zach - looks more like a brown to me. Nice one at that!

Ahh crap, had my tails backwards. I thought squared tail was landlocked and then forked was a brown, and that would be backwards. Definitely at least plausible in that situation then. Appreciate the correction

Offline ADK_Fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2020, 05:07 PM »
I have been fishing Toga for 20 years and although I never boated a trout, a buddy of mine has landed a few rainbows. They are rare, but they are in there. As for the picture, that looks like a brown to me.

Offline kdixon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2020, 10:25 PM »

I was on Saratoga Lake when he caught that fish and can vouch for him. I took a picture of it myself because I was pleasantly surprised. 7 others can vouch for him. I'm told the State attempted stocking Saratoga in the 1980s with Landlocks but it never took off. Not out of the question that holdovers are present.

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2020, 11:05 PM »
I was on Saratoga Lake when he caught that fish and can vouch for him. I took a picture of it myself because I was pleasantly surprised. 7 others can vouch for him. I'm told the State attempted stocking Saratoga in the 1980s with Landlocks but it never took off. Not out of the question that holdovers are present.

but its a brown, not a salmon.....

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2020, 03:54 AM »
1980s holdover salmon  🙃

Offline Troutslayer311

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2020, 09:21 AM »
100% a brown trout from either kayderosseras or geyser creek... Bet it washed down with the high water in october Nice catch  :tipup:  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline mee2gofishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2020, 08:59 PM »
I believe it was a brown trout, caught while fishing off Fitch Rd. ;D

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2020, 02:26 PM »
Its an Atlantic.  As far as the tail fin being square and not forked when it comes to atlantics the tail "May" be slightly forked.  The adipose fin is gray to olive in a Brown they tend to be spotted with orange or red. The Atlantic has a narrow and tapered "caudal peduncle" (this is the area from the adipose fin to the tail fin).  This one in the photo is no where near as bulky as a browns.
The big thing at first glance is many of the spots on the fish in the photo are X's, browns almost never have any spots that look like X's and if they do it is only one or two.

The two are very simmerer since in genetic terms they are first cousins.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2020, 02:34 PM »
Its an Atlantic.  As far as the tail fin being square and not forked when it comes to atlantics the tail "May" be slightly forked.  The adipose fin is gray to olive in a Brown they tend to be spotted with orange or red. The Atlantic has a narrow and tapered "caudal peduncle" (this is the area from the adipose fin to the tail fin).  This one in the photo is no where near as bulky as a browns.
The big thing at first glance is many of the spots on the fish in the photo are X's, browns almost never have any spots that look like X's and if they do it is only one or two.

The two are very simmerer since in genetic terms they are first cousins.
Pretty certain that is a brown

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2020, 03:09 PM »
that a brown trout ......

JJ

« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2020, 03:44 PM »
It's an Atlantic salmon that swam up the Hudson and managed to jump over the Troy Dam and continue on up to Fish Creek and then into Saratoga. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL.

Does anyone remember the striped bass that was caught through the ice there a few years back?

Offline jayy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2020, 05:54 PM »
Haha.. brown or salmon...  we have the same argument several times each year.  It's like that groundhog day movie.

I say brown trout based on the evidence but it's probably impossible to tell from that picture. 

Years back there was a 29lb brown trout caught that was initially thought to be the record atlantic salmon.    They had many pictures and even the carcus but the biologists still weren't sure.  DNA tests showed it to be a brown. 

Strangely the current record salmon was a catch and release, from the same lake, and all they have are pictures to verify it.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2020, 11:27 AM »
It's an Atlantic salmon that swam up the Hudson and managed to jump over the Troy Dam and continue on up to Fish Creek and then into Saratoga. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL.

Does anyone remember the striped bass that was caught through the ice there a few years back?

I remember the striper that was caught, I believe it was posted on the shanty if I remember correctly

JJ

« Reply #27 on: Feb 26, 2020, 01:43 PM »
Yes, pretty sure it was on here, and there was a pic at Saratoga Tackle when they were near the lake. From what I remember the fish was released, guy wasn't sure what to do and it was out of season.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #28 on: Feb 26, 2020, 02:55 PM »
We need a picture of the mouth, the teeth tell all!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Feb 26, 2020, 02:57 PM »
if you can't tell thats a brown trout you better give up fishing and take up golf

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.