Author Topic: Jacker/Slammer setups?  (Read 1024 times)

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Jacker/Slammer setups?
« on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:43 AM »
I've had jawjackers for a couple seasons now but this is the 1st year I've been using them regularly... Theres been a few hook discussions this year but none got into what guys are using for a setup. I've been using the same trokar hooks that I use on my crappie traps, cant remember what they are called but kind of a hybrid, siwash but with baitholder barbs on the shank. I rarely miss a hook set on a trap with these but so far I've had 3 misses with the jackers this morning... I'm chalking it up to dinks stealing shiners but I'm still curious just the same what you guys rig your jacker/slammer rigs with?
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Jacker/Slammer setups?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:49 AM »
I use a couple feet of 6 lb flouro attached by a tiny spro swivel so smelt don’t loop it up and then a # 8 gamy octopus hook

I use NO weight, I found that if it’s in the vicinity of the bottom of the ice the rod going off can catch a split shot on the underside of the hole and you don’t get a full swing.

I also noticed for every say 10 fish buddies miss with jackers I only miss one bc I think my slammers weigh more and the front doesn’t bounce when the rod pops just making it drive home that much better
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:53 AM »
#8 or #10 gama octopus here too for most everything. I’ve been messing around with other hooks for cusk, but haven’t found one I’m really happy with yet.

For shiners have you tried hook them farther towards the nose? Maybe the perch can’t get the whole thing in it’s mouth, and it’s setting the hook into nothing once tripped?

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:02 AM »
Right on, I haven't been using octo hooks because I figured the fast snap of the set might just pull it through their bite. I am using a split shot but I'm in 18 fow near bottom right now, I get what your saying about shallow sets though..  I'll tie on some octos and see how they do. I also see what your saying about the jacker moving around, they bounce up of the ice when they go off, that's why I stopped using them when I first got them. I'm thinking maybe a couple pieces of rebar in the legs to weight them down might help that...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:04 AM »
Yeah Z I'm thinking its dink perch not taking the entire shiner at this point, all the Larry's have been hooked perfect in the lip...

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:06 AM »
I love the straight octos they’re not circle octo just straight octo
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:25 AM »
I have also been “packing” the sides of my jaw jackers with shavings from the whole. Seems to keep the rig steady when they go off, and they don’t bounce around when the fish goes for a run either.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:33 AM »
I use a couple feet of 6 lb flouro attached by a tiny spro swivel so smelt don’t loop it up and then a # 8 gamy octopus hook

I use NO weight, I found that if it’s in the vicinity of the bottom of the ice the rod going off can catch a split shot on the underside of the hole and you don’t get a full swing.
This ^ ^
And when fishing shallow, I always preferred the bare bait doing their bare bait thing without the weight.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2020, 08:45 AM »
I love the straight octos they’re not circle octo just straight octo

Gotcha, I was thinking circle octo at first...

Offline five fathoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:19 PM »
 You might also consider attaching a small counterweight on the line to give the fish some slack to gather up and fully inhale your bait before it gets stung. When presenting baitfish, I've attached a semi- straightened paper clip on slackened line between two of the lower rod guides so that it dangles. I thread a small soft plastic onto the paper clip to provide just enough weight to hold back the shiner. (Or you could use a cheapo line-thru slip float.) I don't think the Jacker goes off until the line completely tightens, at which point there is a better chance the fish has the hook between its lips.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2020, 07:11 AM »
Went through the hook box last night and got out some octo hooks to tie on the jacker rods for this morning.... Though after a few more hours yesterday I realized that a school of gills was roaming around my spot, never seen them in this area before, after bucketing a couple dozen on a micro tungsten the jackers stopped missing... gill fry for dinner last night was pretty good lol...
Thanks for the setup tips fellas.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2020, 07:36 AM »
Im using a 38" med heavy frabill rod with 8lb mono tied to a stinger hook.... Works pretty good
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline dbickom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2020, 12:57 PM »
Good info for all of us!  Really appreciate the input.
Good things come to those who Bait!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2020, 04:27 PM »
Echo alot of this great info.
Slip floats on the jacker work great. Gives them an extra second to take it, but not too far down.
And of course, nothing but gammy octo hooks.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.