Author Topic: Back roads  (Read 3001 times)

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Back roads
« on: Feb 07, 2020, 07:39 AM »
Watch out on the roads less traveled this morning... I went to leave my house this morning, backed out on to the road and just kept going into the snowbank lol. I'm now back inside with my coffee waiting on the sander to drive by...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Back roads
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2020, 07:46 AM »
My kids had school cancelled again so I’m home with them. Nothing Gold can stay.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2020, 07:49 AM »
Nothing is worse than freezing rain....I’d take a snow storm over this weather
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2020, 07:52 AM »
It's turned to strait rain here, its slowly eating up the glaze coat on everything...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2020, 07:53 AM »
Can hardly stand up outside in Weare.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:10 AM »
Freezing rain does suck.. but on the bright side Saturdays weather is now looking alot less windy cold but no wind fine by me
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:18 AM »
I'm good with that, we need some cold to tighten up the slop.

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:43 AM »
Same here in Concord, was going to go to highland to fish this morning but I didnt think skidding off the road was worth a few bass or whatever. Tomorrow is looking good, I believe I will have the place to myself, not much for derby fish there and I dont have a ticket so I dont care..

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:53 AM »
All rain here in Mass, 15 minutes north of Boston,  normally,  I'd have been fishing already, but looking  at the forecast, and seeing the live action radar, I'm in.no itching hurry, this derby has been a test of endurance already, between weather mind games,ice mind games and general suckiness
Two weeks ago, I came down with a nasty cold. I still have the cough, I can deal with it, Wednesday night I woke up with vicious abdominal ctamps, it Kept me up all night,  yesterday,  I took the day to renew my drivers license and recover, after breakfast this morning,  I pushed the wheeler to the back of the garage  and backed the truck in to. Load the bait and my grub,I have bed lights and an aeration system in the bed of the truck,  when I flip on the lights,  I smell burning wires  and the power goes out, I installed  a auger hanger in the bed Sunday and pinched the wires in the process. . I should know better.. well,I'm repaired , I'm loaded , going to have coffee  with my wife and prepare for the ride north... good luck everyone, I hope one of the regulars here wins it all.

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:57 AM »
Hit em hard Joe! I’ve lost all ambition for this weekend if I can be honest. I’ll be out there though

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:01 AM »
Hit em hard Joe! I’ve lost all ambition for this weekend if I can be honest. I’ll be out there though

You are not alone my friend,  I told my wife, I don't know how many of these I've got left in me... I'm pulling out of my driveway now.. this will.most likely be a hairy ride ..

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:06 AM »
I'm just gonna drive around checking conditions today, so i won't get too wet... got a Stephen king audio book ready for the ride and plenty of coffee, 4 stops on my list... good luck Joe, drive safe

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:09 AM »
I'm a hurtin unit as well. Plan was to hit the road early this morning. Well, last night started to feel something coming on. Woke up with a screamin headache, sinuses blocked, and some nausea. Can't seem to shake it this morning.
Sucks, but handful of Sudafed and just push through. Will hopefully get everything in the truck and off to camp soon. I was so pumped, but losing my momentum before the race even starts...lol
Like Joe says " It's not always how you start, it's how you finish. "
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:11 AM »
Safe travels on the ride north, Joe.
I know what you're feeling, but IMO, a derby or especially getting there half a day early, isn't worth hurting your vehicles or yourself.
You've had plenty of derbies behind and in front of you.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:12 AM »
Still icing in the Ice Box. I've lost the drive for the derby as I got older. It seems lately each year the conditions are bad. Good luck out there Joe, Jason, Ray and others stay safe.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2020, 09:16 AM »
You are not alone my friend,  I told my wife, I don't know how many of these I've got left in me... I'm pulling out of my driveway now.. this will.most likely be a hairy ride ..
Good luck Joe. Safe travels today, you and everyone else.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline wabashaw_plumbing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2020, 11:03 AM »
All rain here in Mass, 15 minutes north of Boston,  normally,  I'd have been fishing already, but looking  at the forecast, and seeing the live action radar, I'm in.no itching hurry, this derby has been a test of endurance already, between weather mind games,ice mind games and general suckiness
Two weeks ago, I came down with a nasty cold. I still have the cough, I can deal with it, Wednesday night I woke up with vicious abdominal ctamps, it Kept me up all night,  yesterday,  I took the day to renew my drivers license and recover, after breakfast this morning,  I pushed the wheeler to the back of the garage  and backed the truck in to. Load the bait and my grub,I have bed lights and an aeration system in the bed of the truck,  when I flip on the lights,  I smell burning wires  and the power goes out, I installed  a auger hanger in the bed Sunday and pinched the wires in the process. . I should know better.. well,I'm repaired , I'm loaded , going to have coffee  with my wife and prepare for the ride north... good luck everyone, I hope one of the regulars here wins it all.

A cold. Stomach cramps. A trip to the DMV. And pinched wires. Man, some guys have all the luck. Get all your bad voodoo out now and kick some ass at the derby this weekend. Good luck, hopefully you can get on the board to make it all worthwhile  :tipup:
Keep ‘em wet

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2020, 11:39 AM »
Well I made it to the lake, worst part of the ride was the snow fly ing.off every one's roof, some miserable here now, heavy duty sleet... and not a sole in sight.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2020, 11:52 AM »
Well I made it to the lake, worst part of the ride was the snow fly ing.off every one's roof, some miserable here now, heavy duty sleet... and not a sole in sight.

Good for you! I hope you are rewarded for your effort and tenacity to the sport!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2020, 12:05 PM »
Good for you! I hope you are rewarded for your effort and tenacity to the sport!
Thanks you.
Sometimes it's all about how much we can endure, i.learned that in the service,  and most of us can endure more than we think.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2020, 12:06 PM »
I'm a hurtin unit as well. Plan was to hit the road early this morning. Well, last night started to feel something coming on. Woke up with a screamin headache, sinuses blocked, and some nausea. Can't seem to shake it this morning.
Sucks, but handful of Sudafed and just push through. Will hopefully get everything in the truck and off to camp soon. I was so pumped, but losing my momentum before the race even starts...lol
Like Joe says " It's not always how you start, it's how you finish. "

Good luck, soldier on, I know you got it in ya!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2020, 12:14 PM »
Atta boy Joe, I just left plan c of my scouting trip... I'm definitely sticking closer to the southwest at my plan a in the morning, its a longer drive to hq but very little snow to bog me down. Good luck, hang tough.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2020, 12:30 PM »

Same here Was a challenge with the ice flying off cars.  That will kill someone.  Glad you made it unscathed.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2020, 01:42 PM »
Still not feeling great but Just got to my destination as well. Boy those roads were a sheet of ice. To add to my rough start this morning....
So I get to the place I rented this year, and there's another group of guys sitting in the driveway. They say they rented the place....oh boy, here we go. We both go back and forth trying to get answers. Owner isn't answering phone. I'm thinking to myself, this sucks! How are we going to settle this. This could get ugly.
Well I had talked to the owner a day ago and had code for the key and got in the house. They had no contact apparently. It didn't take too long for them to realize they got scammed! Bummer for them.
Crisis avoided.....now off to set some cusk lines.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2020, 01:51 PM »
Still not feeling great but Just got to my destination as well. Boy those roads were a sheet of ice. To add to my rough start this morning....
So I get to the place I rented this year, and there's another group of guys sitting in the driveway. They say they rented the place....oh boy, here we go. We both go back and forth trying to get answers. Owner isn't answering phone. I'm thinking to myself, this sucks! How are we going to settle this. This could get ugly.
Well I had talked to the owner a day ago and had code for the key and got in the house. They had no contact apparently. It didn't take too long for them to realize they got scammed! Bummer for them.

Wow! That must have been a shock! Glad you were able to “fend them off” with key code possession!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2020, 01:54 PM »

Thankful  it got resolved. .

I just came in from blazing  a trail to my spot, I used a the gas auger, not wanting to subject the Ion to this crap. ..I forgot how heavy that thing is...I cut about 30 holes.. those things are for the young..

Heading for my room, looking  forward to a hot shower  and a bowl of lobster  stew Compliments of my bride and my harvest this summer... I think a few Sam Adams  Rebel IPA  may be in order as well.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2020, 01:56 PM »
Sounds amazing!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2020, 01:58 PM »
Just had a couple monkey fist IPA’s  myself while loading.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2020, 02:01 PM »
This sticker is on.my back  window. .. I dedicate it all those that braved the conditions to get where they need to go.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2020, 02:02 PM »
Just had a couple monkey fist IPA’s  myself while loading.

Good stuff..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.