The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Worcester ice...and beyond  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
Worcester ice...and beyond
« on: Jan 27, 2020, 11:18 AM »
Did any ice in the Worcester area survive the warmup and rain?

I'm not asking for intel, just want to save myself a two hour drive from the south shore. I took this week off as a reward for getting through the holidays at work to log some hours on the ice.

I have eyes on driving out to Charlton/Sturbridge too because I have a Treehouse gift card burning a hole in my pocket and I'm craving some BT's.

***Any*** intel would be a huge help. A DM is always welcomed.

I think this has been a tough winter for a lot of us with the weather. Really, really sucks.
Marking anything?

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Worcester ice...and beyond
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2020, 12:49 PM »
Did any ice in the Worcester area survive the warmup and rain?

I'm not asking for intel, just want to save myself a two hour drive from the south shore. I took this week off as a reward for getting through the holidays at work to log some hours on the ice.

I have eyes on driving out to Charlton/Sturbridge too because I have a Treehouse gift card burning a hole in my pocket and I'm craving some BT's.

***Any*** intel would be a huge help. A DM is always welcomed.

I think this has been a tough winter for a lot of us with the weather. Really, really sucks.

You just got me thinking about the brisket Reuben at BT’s... it’s all I’m gonna think about for the rest of the day.
Wish I could help with ice intel but I bet the odds are on your side. Edges might be a bit rough but anywhere that had solid ice still should although the edges / inflows might be a little rough.
Treehouse and BT’s is enough to make the trip worth it though  :tipup:

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2020, 01:52 PM »
There’s still ice around just need to search. Was on 5 inches today on three separate places

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2020, 02:42 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate it!
Marking anything?

Offline Cnorkun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2020, 03:47 PM »
I drove out Route 2 from the North Shore Sunday and found plenty of ice.  I couldnt fish because of other plans, but saw other groups out.  Made me very hopeful for February fishing.

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2020, 06:49 PM »
I drove out Route 2 from the North Shore Sunday and found plenty of ice.  I couldnt fish because of other plans, but saw other groups out.  Made me very hopeful for February fishing.

That's great to know too!
Marking anything?

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2020, 09:05 PM »
If your on 20 getting lousy beer from tree house (cant stand it) your 10 to 15 mins from east brim holland pond and hamilton res. Havent been out that way but all are worth a look all are pike and trout waters

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2020, 04:07 AM »
If your on 20 getting lousy beer from tree house (cant stand it) your 10 to 15 mins from east brim holland pond and hamilton res. Havent been out that way but all are worth a look all are pike and trout waters

That’s great info too, thank you. I always love getting into some trout.
Marking anything?

Offline Shawno82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2020, 06:06 AM »
Smaller ponds around this area are your best bet.  Definitely recommend stopping at Treehouse for a beer or two and maybe a case or 2 to take home. Best local beer around in this area besides wormtown and greater good. All 3 are great places to go after a day on the ice

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2020, 05:49 PM »
Smaller ponds around this area are your best bet.  Definitely recommend stopping at Treehouse for a beer or two and maybe a case or 2 to take home. Best local beer around in this area besides wormtown and greater good. All 3 are great places to go after a day on the ice

I think I’m heading that way tomorrow. I work in the beer industry, Treehouse is the top dog in my opinion. But that could spawn a whole new thread  ;D
Marking anything?

Offline Gansett

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hi Neighbor !!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2020, 06:31 PM »
Treehouse is on a whole other level than their competition at the moment. The very definition of a cash cow.

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2020, 06:48 PM »
every forum I have seen has a treehouse topic.  ::)

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2020, 06:51 PM »
The only people that don't like treehouse are bud light drinkers. I can't think of another brewery that's even in the same league, especially when it comes to consistency.

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2020, 01:56 PM »
The only people that don't like treehouse are bud light drinkers. I can't think of another brewery that's even in the same league, especially when it comes to consistency.
i am a home brewer of 30 years..treehouse and the rest of the super hazy, half fermented beers are aweful. the sign of a good beer is one that maintains flavor or gets better with age.  the hop bombs have a shelf life of about 3 weeks and then they start to degrade. drink what you like..
burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2020, 02:53 PM »

Ugh I don't want to get into it BUT....you must be new to TH.  Since they have moved to the Charlton location and increased their batch size their quality control and consistency have taken a sharp decline.  They still make some great beer but in the Monson location you would never get a Haze with the hoppy throat burn that you can get from CHarlton.  There are so many out there right now that are equal to or better than TH.  Alchemist is the OG of craft breweries and their Heady Topper and Focalbanger are better than most.  Personally I think Trillium is better than TH and there are plenty of VT breweries I'd say are better as well.  TH is still great but it isn't what it is hyped up to be.  The Charlton location however is quite spectacular and has significantly cut down on the lines.
westernmas on the finder

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2020, 07:17 PM »
Budweiser always tastes great never inconsistent its America's beer just dont like that its owned by an overseas company now

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2020, 08:09 PM »
Does Treehouse make  a good porter or stout?

If so, what do they call it?

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2020, 08:19 PM »
Ugh I don't want to get into it BUT....you must be new to TH.  Since they have moved to the Charlton location and increased their batch size their quality control and consistency have taken a sharp decline.  They still make some great beer but in the Monson location you would never get a Haze with the hoppy throat burn that you can get from CHarlton.  There are so many out there right now that are equal to or better than TH.  Alchemist is the OG of craft breweries and their Heady Topper and Focalbanger are better than most.  Personally I think Trillium is better than TH and there are plenty of VT breweries I'd say are better as well.  TH is still great but it isn't what it is hyped up to be.  The Charlton location however is quite spectacular and has significantly cut down on the lines.
I don't want to get into it either but I'm not new to TH I live in Monson and was sampling it before it was even released to the public. I don't drink it often anymore due to the price and not wanting to drive for it but when I do have it its always delicious and smooth and tastes the same as the last time I had it. The biggest issue with IPA's in my opinion is that many of them taste like an entirely different drink from one beer to the next and I've never personally experienced that with TH. I'm not saying everything else is crap I just don't get how any IPA fan could possibly say TH sucks unless they only tried one flavor that wasn't their cup of tea.

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2020, 08:52 PM »
Does Treehouse make  a good porter or stout?

If so, what do they call it?

Yes they make a bunch. They’re constantly rotating. Some of my favorites are Catharsis, Single Shot, Double Shot, Moment of Clarity and Hold On To Sunshine.
Marking anything?

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2020, 09:12 PM »

I am all about craft beer and I’ll drive 2+ hours just to stock up on good beer. My beer fridge is stocked full of bisssell, foam, trillium, treehouse, hill farmstead, Lawson’s alchemist and many in between. I am also a die hard bud light drinker. This is for a few reasons.... it’s hard to drink good craft beer all day. If I only drank craft beer I’d be broke. If I’m at a NASCAR race, at a sox game, at the beach, out on the boat, sometimes a bud light is what I need, not a big juicy IPA. There is a right time and place for all beers. Just my $0.02

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2020, 09:15 PM »
Ps. Sorry for hijacking the thread

Offline W8t B8t

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2020, 05:40 AM »
My daddy gave me these words of advice
Never drink Heineken in a Budweiser budget
So it’s Bud for life

Offline Corporateslave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2020, 07:29 AM »
You should all save your money and look up fort hill out of easthampton.  Best beer hands down in the area and goes on sale occasionally at big y for 7.99 a sixer.  My girl has been a volunteer for beer advocate for 14 years pouring with Sam Calagione and Will Meyers and tried every beer imaginable and still says fort hill is money.  As soon as they moved to Charlton things changed for the worst. Again everyone has a right to an opinion.

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2020, 08:14 AM »
You should all save your money and look up fort hill out of easthampton.  Best beer hands down in the area and goes on sale occasionally at big y for 7.99 a sixer.  My girl has been a volunteer for beer advocate for 14 years pouring with Sam Calagione and Will Meyers and tried every beer imaginable and still says fort hill is money.  As soon as they moved to Charlton things changed for the worst. Again everyone has a right to an opinion.
Fort hill makes good beer but they are as unreliable as it gets. Jigsaw jazz was in my top 5 beers for a while but I have absolutely no clue what it tastes like anymore. Completely different drink every time I buy it.

Offline Corporateslave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2020, 10:05 AM »
Sorry for hijacking just figured I'd comment.  Dont want to start trouble

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.