Author Topic: What to keep Jigs in?  (Read 10390 times)

Offline jhawkes2

• Team IceShanty Regular
What to keep Jigs in?
« on: Sep 13, 2006, 04:56 PM »
I was wondering what folks use to store jigs when packing them on the ice?  I'm not referring to pack baskets, etc. I'm referring to storage boxes, or mini tackle boxes.  I carry around those wally-world special clear plastic boxes, but wanted to see if there was something bigger and better... any suggestions/ thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Offline muskie_huntre

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What to keep Jigs in?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2006, 05:13 PM »

I use these bass tackle binders when I am targeting a specific species (gills, crappie, perch).  Each binder has 7  zippered pgs, with a clear vinyl window.  On a piece of foam the jigs are placed in.  They dont bounce around or get their paint jobs chipped.
Might look  bulky, but very light weight and I have room in my trap.
MASON

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2006, 05:29 PM »
I keep my grubs in my mouth and my jigs in small plastic boxes...and i usually pack an even smaller box with a smattering of 'secret weapons' that i keep in my pocket so as i go from hole to hole, and i want to change things up, i have a stash on me, as opposed to walking back to the sled...I have all my stuff organized in the clear boxes that fit in a softside...but of course, after 2 or 3 trips, i have to go through and redo everything as i end up with stuff everywhere..... ;D

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2006, 06:42 PM »
I keep my jigs in a metal fly box it's great they don't bounce around and get chipped the metal boxes are getting hard to find  And if you get one pretty well full it's a pretty site

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2006, 06:55 PM »
I have small blue tacle box about 7" by 4" and has storage on either side of it. I just organize the jigs by color then.

like this one, and the oppostie side has 8 compartments, smaller squares
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2006, 07:48 PM »
I've used the fly box's with the clips, and the ones with the foam. I've used tackle box's, bags and things that resemble carry on lugage >:( >:( And the truth is, that I am a messy person ???And by seasons end, half my jigs are hanging from my shelter's fabric.
I use the clear plastic box's, like the plano's. One for jigs, one for spoons and swimmers.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2006, 08:26 PM »
I have used all kinds of boxes and found the fly boxes with the compartments work the best.  I bought these last year at Gander.  I think I paid about $15.00 each.  Scientific Angler makes a nice box and looks similar to these, but they will run you $40 to $50 each.

My buddy uses the Scientific Angler ones and they are very similar, but more expensive.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2006, 08:58 PM »
I have used all kinds of boxes and found the fly boxes with the compartments work the best.  I bought these last year at Gander.  I think I paid about $15.00 each.  Scientific Angler makes a nice box and looks similar to these, but they will run you $40 to $50 each.
(Image removed from quote.)

My buddy uses the Scientific Angler ones and they are very similar, but more expensive.

i like that, nice and organized :tipup:

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2006, 09:01 PM »
Very nice setup IceNutter :o 8)

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2006, 06:58 AM »
Icenutter,,,,I just showed that picture to my son, and he said 'wow, looks like candy,,,,you could sit here all day and count those'.....very nice.  You have moved me to get myself a bit more organized.   At least that will help pass the time till ice gets here.

Offline bear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2006, 03:03 PM »
I keep my jigs in a metal fly box it's great they don't bounce around and get chipped the metal boxes are getting hard to find  And if you get one pretty well full it's a pretty site
I have one of these metal boxes that I use for flies and it is called a Wheatly. I know you can order them online and If I remember they are made in England. I think Orvis carries them also. bear

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2006, 03:59 PM »

I use these bass tackle binders when I am targeting a specific species (gills, crappie, perch).  Each binder has 7  zippered pgs, with a clear vinyl window.  On a piece of foam the jigs are placed in.  They dont bounce around or get their paint jobs chipped.
Might look  bulky, but very light weight and I have room in my trap.

U forgot to post this pic! Thats just sic!!! Sweet!

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 2006, 04:19 PM »
I use the foam fly boxes from Morel.  They're cheap and they float when that gremlin that lives in the ice hole tries to grab them.  ;)  I do have to say though Nutter, I may have to make a change.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline dwaytkus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If she loves you, she will clean them!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 14, 2006, 08:47 PM »
I use the yellow box in this picture.  You can get them at "America's Foremost Outfitter" under the fly fishing cases.  It is really handy and doesn't take up any room in your pocket.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2006, 12:31 PM »
I bought these last year at Gander.  I think I paid about $15.00 each.

You sold me on tyring this model, $14 at Gander.  It has to work better than the big box I currently use.  My current box isn't "work proof" so when it flips everything goes all over.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Sep 15, 2006, 01:50 PM »
These are from Little Atom...

https://www.just-fish.com/images/product_17_zm.jpg

They work very well.  I do like the picture of the one from Gander, I need to get one of those as well.
Don't Stand Outside too long......

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2008, 11:11 AM »
I came up with an idea today and this is it.  Used an old CD (zippered case)
cut out the CD holders, cut some scotchgaurd pads to fit and glued them in with spray adhesive.
Doesn't take much to hold the jigs and they "pull out" easily; but don't fall out.
These cases come in all sizes right up through full page size.  I seem to have an endless supply at work -  ;D

Offline InSearchOfPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2008, 07:28 PM »

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2008, 10:21 AM »
Wow ....... some of you guys are organized.   I use clear plastic boxes but after seeing some of these pics, I may have to upgrade. 

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2008, 11:44 AM »
I use a plano 3214 tackle box with blue foam in the compartments for jigs..

Front

Back
jbird68

Offline frenchguyfry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2008, 08:01 PM »

Where did you get this box? I really like it.. I got one from Cabelas that has ripple foam on one side and flat fowm on the other then I modded it with a compartment for my plastics I will take a pic and post it in a bit.

Ryan

Offline InSearchOfPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2008, 08:34 PM »
If you can find a military surplus store, they may have static primer cases.  Rockets fired from Apache helicopters use a primer on each rocket that is activated by a spark in the rocket tube.  If you were to rub your foot on carpet and touch one of these rockets, it may go off.  so they keep those primers in these cases when stored and they are watertight and hard plastic.  You could drive over one with your truck.  I but the camp pads at walmart made from closed cell foam for about 5 bucks.  You can line about 5 cases from one pad.

You can also find these cases at some computer outlets.  they use them to store harddrives I think.  Pistol cases work too.  Take out the rubber or foam liner so the case is bare...and then line it with the closed cell foam.

Offline Illinoizboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicago, Il. No, I never met Al Capone.
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2008, 12:35 AM »
Got a Bug Luggage! ;D
One a Da Boyz from Illinoiz
U.S.A.F. Vietnam Vet 66-67

Hello,my name is John.... and I am an ICE HOLE.
God Bless our Troops.

Offline Prybis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2008, 09:23 PM »
The bug luggage or fox box is nice but the holders dont spring back tight. They also dont seem to hold small jigs very securly. I picked up a slotted Scientific Anglers box to put my smallish collection of ice jigs and flies in. This box was only 25 dollars at a fly local shop.

front

back

Mike P.

Offline Jaybobbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2008, 09:06 AM »
I have a piece of foam stapled to the inside of my sled that i stick my panfish jigs into. So far none of them have fallen out, but I don't have a quarter as many jigs as some of you guys.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2008, 05:12 PM »
The bug luggage or fox box is nice but the holders dont spring back tight. They also dont seem to hold small jigs very securly. I picked up a slotted Scientific Anglers box to put my smallish collection of ice jigs and flies in. This box was only 25 dollars at a fly local shop.

front
back

Mike P.

Does the MSF (Micro Slit Foam) hold small ice jigs in place very well? I have my eye on one for a good price...just wondering how well it works.

Jbird68
jbird68

Offline Prybis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2008, 06:51 PM »
The micro slot foam seems to hold the small ice jigs the best. Here is the latest of my kodiak jigs. I ordered them over the weekend and got them on wensday.

Mike P.

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2008, 08:34 PM »
I use foam flybox's, works great. I also have a piece of foam glued on the inside sled of my fish trap Guide that has a few misc. jigs hanging on

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 08, 2008, 01:01 PM »
I got my Kodiak order in about 2 days. Already lost one on a branch last Saturday.  >:(
They look like really good jigs. I got the sample kit. Which colors work best?
jbird68

Offline JuvyK

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Feels Like a Nice One...
« Reply #29 on: Dec 09, 2008, 09:36 AM »
I use a fly box with foam in it. It keeps the jigs from moving and bouncing around.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.