The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Smelt on Dunmore  (Read 1985 times)

Offline fishbbc

• IceShanty Rookie
Smelt on Dunmore
« on: Jan 23, 2020, 10:36 AM »
Anyone know if the smelt are biting on Dunmore? And where would be a good place to start looking for them?

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Smelt on Dunmore
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2020, 11:54 AM »
I haven't seen much activity on Dunmore this week so can't help with bite. There are only a couple of shanties on the north half.

Generally you can fish for smelt straight out from the access once you hit 35 feet of water. I've generally fished them in 60 to 70 feet of water from where the brook dumps in to the opposite shore(utowana point). You can catch them in other areas of the north half of the lake.

Offline fishbbc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2020, 11:43 AM »
Is the daytime bite any good or is all the action after dark. Also, what is the average smelt size in there?

I have not made it down there yet but hope to in the next couple of weeks. I really miss the days of smelt fishing on Lake Champlain. Good smelt fishing is so limited now to just handful of VT lakes.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2020, 10:25 AM »
Always had more luck at night. Caught the random few during the day but usually night with a light is the best. As to the size you never know. Haven’t smelted dunmore in a few seasons so can’t give ya too much info.
Good luck

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2020, 05:41 PM »
Set up off Sucker brook in 40-70 FOW on Sunday, jigging for lakers and smelt. Not many laker marks, and no action on the tipups with smelt. LOTS of smelt on the finder basically all day, but they weren't biting much. I was using a pink/orange hali tipped with a TINY piece of crawler. Managed maybe a dozen smelt from like 10AM to 4. Pretty sad. I think my luck would have been much better with maggots instead of crawlers. As for the size, they were either really tiny, or quite large. Biggest was 7.5" and fat. Good luck if you go!

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2020, 08:30 PM »
Set up off Sucker brook in 40-70 FOW on Sunday, jigging for lakers and smelt. Not many laker marks, and no action on the tipups with smelt. LOTS of smelt on the finder basically all day, but they weren't biting much. I was using a pink/orange hali tipped with a TINY piece of crawler. Managed maybe a dozen smelt from like 10AM to 4. Pretty sad. I think my luck would have been much better with maggots instead of crawlers. As for the size, they were either really tiny, or quite large. Biggest was 7.5" and fat. Good luck if you go!

I've been told that they are sensitive to transducers and won't bite as well. Not sure how true that is.

Offline fishbbc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2020, 07:19 AM »
Yeah, I always wondered if the sonar "ping" bothers them at all.

Offline Fat Tony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2020, 08:38 AM »
How is the ice thickness? Looking to give it a shot on our way north next week    Hoping it’s wheeler safe....??

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2020, 11:30 AM »
Yeah, I always wondered if the sonar "ping" bothers them at all.

Ever hold a running transducer in your hand, makes your knuckles ache. Can't imagine they don't feel something.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2020, 06:29 AM »
Ever hold a running transducer in your hand, makes your knuckles ache. Can't imagine they don't feel something.

They might sense it, but this hasn't been much of an issue for me in the past, even when I find them closer to the ice. Next time I find them I will try turning my finder off for a while to see if it makes a difference.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2020, 06:31 AM »
How is the ice thickness? Looking to give it a shot on our way north next week    Hoping it’s wheeler safe....??

There was around 10 inches, but just stay away from where Sucker Brook comes in. Ice is much thinner there. There were lots of folks out there with wheelers, side by sides, and snowmobiles last week, and quite a few hard sided shacks in place.

Offline Fat Tony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2020, 05:02 PM »
There was around 10 inches, but just stay away from where Sucker Brook comes in. Ice is much thinner there. There were lots of folks out there with wheelers, side by sides, and snowmobiles last week, and quite a few hard sided shacks in place.

Thanks man    Gonna give it a go Wednesday

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.