The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Who is heading out today??  (Read 1353 times)

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
Who is heading out today??
« on: Jan 11, 2020, 05:20 AM »
Truck is packed and my spud will be my best friend today. Who’s going out to enjoy a 60 degree day on the ice?

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Who is heading out today??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2020, 05:42 AM »
I'll be out today, driving a little north to a location that barely cracked 40 degrees last night in hopes that there isn't more than an inch or 2 of water on it this morning. Yesterday I was standing in 2 inches of water and the edges were going fast and that was only 45 degrees. Today is definitely a day to play it a little more careful than usual. Good luck and be safe!

Offline behemoth508

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2020, 06:49 AM »
Out in Rutland right now. Ice for days,1/4” of water on top in spots

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2020, 07:37 AM »
Out on attitash right now. 6-7 inches of ice everywhere.... now just waiting on the fish.

Offline Flagrunner85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2020, 10:25 AM »
Sitting on about 8” in Westminster starting to get some legitimate streams on top of the ice. My partner bailed on me but glad I still made it out.

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2020, 01:00 PM »
Caught some perch and a couple pickerel, wasn’t expecting much more. Finished the day around 12:30 and had 3-4 inches of ice on attitash. Was hoping to get out tomorrow but it would be around here!

First day I’ve ever been on ice and it being over 60 degrees!

Offline Corporateslave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2020, 01:49 PM »
Plenty of ice in Ludlow today.  Jigged a ton of crappie and a bunch of flags.  Decent 3.9 largemouth came early. Ice was still the same thickness at 2 when I left. Stupid suckers kept eating the heads of my shiners.

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2020, 03:32 PM »
just checked ice in central ma found 10in. I'll have the quad out tomorrow

Offline Sigman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2020, 04:21 PM »
Out today in Tyngsboro all day. some perch and  slime darts. Nothing to write home about but still a good day on the ice with good friends. Ice is going fast.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2020, 04:29 PM »
Yup made it out today. 6" on a local pond. Holes were stretching fast.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2020, 04:45 PM »
just checked ice in central ma found 10in. I'll have the quad out tomorrow

I would strongly suggest members use extreme caution reading posts like this. Maybe send S&S stalker a PM asking for his location.
For most of us going out tomorrow in search of 10 inches that can hold a quad in most parts of central Ma seems like an extremely dicey endeavor.
I really hate to think inexperienced lurkers will read that and go do something their loved ones will regret. :-\

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2020, 04:50 PM »
I was on Attitash and with how we left on 3-4 inches at noon today and knowing it’s going to rain and not get cold til later tomorrow I would not recommend anyone going out until it drops below freezing again.

If you do go out be safe, be smart, and bring a spud.

Offline wardo888

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2020, 06:00 PM »
If you’re skeptical at all , check the extended forecast and be patient . It’s coming .

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2020, 06:08 PM »
I would strongly suggest members use extreme caution reading posts like this. Maybe send S&S stalker a PM asking for his location.
For most of us going out tomorrow in search of 10 inches that can hold a quad in most parts of central Ma seems like an extremely dicey endeavor.
I really hate to think inexperienced lurkers will read that and go do something their loved ones will regret. :-\
agreed dont do what I'm doing lol. I drill a hole and check thickness every 10 yds when venturing out on to questionable ice. as for location sorry this is a private pond that needs to be accessed by a backyard.

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2020, 06:35 PM »
agreed dont do what I'm doing lol. I drill a hole and check thickness every 10 yds when venturing out on to questionable ice. as for location sorry this is a private pond that needs to be accessed by a backyard.
I was kidding about asking your location. ;) I wouldn't do that to anyone.
I assumed you had a small sheltered pond, probably at some elevation. Those are hard to find and extra valuable with a crappy ice season like this one.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2020, 06:40 PM »
I was kidding about asking your location. ;) I wouldn't do that to anyone.
I assumed you had a small sheltered pond, probably at some elevation. Those are hard to find and extra valuable with a crappy ice season like this one.
it is a nice hidden gem. some nice bass too. my buddy pulled a 9.2 out of there 5 years ago. knew you were kidding about location ;D

Offline PenguinIII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2020, 06:48 PM »
Fished southern New Hampshire today, 11 inches of ice at 7.15 am, 10 inches at 4.00 PM. Lots of water on top draining into the holes like a toilet bowl. Crazy wind blowing traps right out of the holes. Ended up with 8 Slime darts, 7 Yellow perch, kept 4, one LMB, and 1 SMB. Overall a very interesting day.

Offline JUST1MORE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2020, 06:59 PM »
I was up by Montague MASS today and there was about 6 inches of ice but there was a lot of water above the ice and some small open holes that the water was draining into. I checked the ice about every 10 feet and it was good but I don’t think I’ll head back there  until the thermometer drops. Still it was great to get out and catch a couple fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.