Author Topic: Atv help??  (Read 8648 times)

PIKEGUY

Atv help??
« on: Sep 05, 2006, 10:03 AM »
Ok, guys.. I use my wheeler when ice fishing...and I could really use a little advice and want to get it some attention quick. I have a 2003 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 Automatic ATV. It's only got 300 miles on it or so, and I'm the original owner. Last time I tried to go for a ride I hopped on, it fired right up and I took off. When I tried to go much faster than an idle, it starts to, what seems like, miss. It idles fine and in Neutral will rev up and sound ok, but when put under load it just won't go. I changed the plug and cleaned/oiled the foam air filter but it made no difference. I don't have a clue.  :-\   Does anybody here have any idea what may be wrong ???  Thanks in advance for any help I may get as it's not cheap to get someone to look at ATVs around here  :-\

Adam

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Atv help??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2006, 10:35 AM »
Try to thoroughly clean the carb. My snowmobile does that sometimes. It will idle fine and start and without a "load" on it, it revs ok. Try that first and make sure the adjustments are correct, like the air screw. I was going to mention the plug, but you said you changed it already. Let me know how that turns out.
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

PIKEGUY

« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2006, 10:42 AM »
Not to sound stupid, but since it's fuel injected wouldn't there be no carburetor???

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2006, 10:47 AM »
I'm assuming that this is not a fuel injected atv.  It sounds like the carb is clogged or the float is stuck in the carb.  Most machines will run fine at idle, but when more fuel is required it will act like it is running out of fuel or start to miss.  Make sure the fuel filter is not clogged, especially if it has an in-line filter.  With only having 300 miles it seems you do not ride if very often and could easily have a carb that is all gummed up.  Get hold of some Sea Foam fuel cleaner and stabilizer.  This is some good stuff and will usually clean out a carb.

If it is fuel injected, I would not mess with it and take it to a dealer.

Good Luck.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

PIKEGUY

« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2006, 11:00 AM »
I'm assuming that this is not a fuel injected atv.  It sounds like the carb is clogged or the float is stuck in the carb.  Most machines will run fine at idle, but when more fuel is required it will act like it is running out of fuel or start to miss.  Make sure the fuel filter is not clogged, especially if it has an in-line filter.  With only having 300 miles it seems you do not ride if very often and could easily have a carb that is all gummed up.  Get hold of some Sea Foam fuel cleaner and stabilizer.  This is some good stuff and will usually clean out a carb.

If it is fuel injected, I would not mess with it and take it to a dealer.

Good Luck.

Thanks..my bad....it's not fuel injected..I am just a moron. lol  ;D

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2006, 11:26 AM »
I assumed it was carbed. Icenutter is right on. My 04 Honda Rancher only has like 350 miles on it and it runs fine, but I will probably clean out the carb before the ice fishing derby, because that's not the time to fix stuff. If you have never gotten into a carb before just take your time and keep track of everything. Get a good carb cleaner, pipe cleaner and compressed air if you have it. Just running carb cleaner through the gas tank will not clear a clogged carb. Let us know how it goes.
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2006, 09:31 PM »
Have you checked for water in the gas? A bad spark plug will break down under pressure. Dirt in the tank being sucked on the stinger will slow you down. I would look at those things before thinking about bad coil, wires or ground. :-\
Steve

Offline Higgy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishin' and Grinnin'
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2006, 09:50 PM »
Yep, sounds like a gummy carb/stuck float to me. Take off the bowl and hose it all out with carb cleaner. Be careful not to jar the float, or bend it.
Live Free or Die! Ayuh, LOVE NH!

Offline Scuff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Here Fishy Fishy Fishy
« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 2006, 06:58 AM »
If its anything like mine make sure the mice and chipmunks have not nested in you air intake, mine was so clogged could not get any air in >:(

PIKEGUY

« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2006, 07:57 AM »
I assumed it was carbed. Icenutter is right on. My 04 Honda Rancher only has like 350 miles on it and it runs fine, but I will probably clean out the carb before the ice fishing derby, because that's not the time to fix stuff. If you have never gotten into a carb before just take your time and keep track of everything. Get a good carb cleaner, pipe cleaner and compressed air if you have it. Just running carb cleaner through the gas tank will not clear a clogged carb. Let us know how it goes.

I wouldn't be afraid to take the carb apart to clean it out..I've been in them before. It's just getting to the dang thing in an ATV that's so hard  :-\

Offline Higgy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishin' and Grinnin'
« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2006, 10:31 AM »
I wouldn't be afraid to take the carb apart to clean it out..I've been in them before. It's just getting to the dang thing in an ATV that's so hard  :-\

Word.

I put a winch and an aftermarket exhaust in my son's Rincon, and it took me two full nights after work... and I been a mechanic my whole life! Just getting the plastic crap off was a real treat.
Live Free or Die! Ayuh, LOVE NH!

PIKEGUY

« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2006, 12:42 PM »
Word.

I put a winch and an aftermarket exhaust in my son's Rincon, and it took me two full nights after work... and I been a mechanic my whole life! Just getting the plastic crap off was a real treat.

I know if I start taking the body panels off.....they'll never go back on the way they're supposed to.  :-\

Offline flukehit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2006, 01:09 PM »
Check for mice nests in the air filter.
Happened to me with my motorcycle. Idled fine but sounded like it was running on one cylinder when I went for a ride.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #13 on: Sep 06, 2006, 11:26 PM »
An '03 with only 300 miles on it? My '05 has 4300 miles on it. My money says its a carb problem.Thats too long to be sitting without running it with fresh fuel on a regular basis. As little as you are using it you need to put in stabil with every tank. Clean the carb and I gaurentee the problem will be fixed.It is a polaris so it is to be expected that it dont run right,J/k

stump

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #14 on: Sep 07, 2006, 06:42 PM »
Not many but some of those carbs have an accelorator pump on them it will be coverd by 4 little screws take them out and pull the cap off  it will look like a small gasket with a little  metal stud in the center . If it does have one of these replace the little pump and that will take care of the problem .

PIKEGUY

« Reply #15 on: Sep 08, 2006, 11:52 AM »
It's gonna have to go to the shop now. I tinkered...bad idea  ;D

crowkiller

« Reply #16 on: Sep 08, 2006, 11:54 AM »
It's gonna have to go to the shop now. I tinkered...bad idea  ;D
what happened or should i say what did you do ?

PIKEGUY

« Reply #17 on: Sep 08, 2006, 02:51 PM »
what happened or should i say what did you do ?

Stripped the plastic threads on the deal where the choke goes into the carb. Couldn't get the dang throttle spring and all that crap back in the way it's supposed to go. lol ...let's see...um.. oh yeah, didn't listen to you about counting turns when I unscrewed one needle valve thingy.lol  Just shoulda left it alone..  Got the carb nice and clean though  ;D

crowkiller

« Reply #18 on: Sep 08, 2006, 03:09 PM »
well good luck and let us know how bad the dealer rapes you

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #19 on: Sep 08, 2006, 03:32 PM »
maybe talk to him about traiding it for one of these...

crowkiller

« Reply #20 on: Sep 08, 2006, 03:42 PM »
yup i would of bought a honda

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Sep 08, 2006, 03:45 PM »
yup i would of bought a hoda

did my N fall off?

crowkiller

« Reply #22 on: Sep 08, 2006, 03:54 PM »
nope i was just in a hurry    ;D   Honda   :thumbsup:

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 09, 2006, 07:44 AM »
I like those tires buildit, I think they would be better in the snow than what I have. What is the brand and model? Do they vibrate a lot on pavement?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Sep 09, 2006, 08:08 AM »
Pheonix , they are ITP Mud Lites...awesome tires for the money...the mud and snow are no match for them. asphalt on the other hand is like riding a bull at low speeds and not very safe at higher speeds...its my ice fishing machine  ;)

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #25 on: Sep 11, 2006, 08:34 AM »
PIKEGUY, it sounds more like a ignition problem than a fuel problem to me. I need more info on the problem to give you a good idea of what it is. How long did it sit without running? What was the temperture and humity when you had the problem? A weak ignition system, will cause a miss under load. Condensation on the wires or coil can cause it too.
Oh, i'm assuming that the fuel is fresh and not been sitting over the whole season.
Just trying to help.
Crappieloo

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 11, 2006, 08:40 AM »
jeepers PG, get the wool out and fix it already will ya :D

PIKEGUY

« Reply #27 on: Sep 11, 2006, 08:44 AM »
jeepers PG, get the wool out and fix it already will ya :D

I give up.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Sep 11, 2006, 08:53 AM »
Stripped the plastic threads on the deal where the choke goes into the carb. Couldn't get the dang throttle spring and all that crap back in the way it's supposed to go. lol ...let's see...um.. oh yeah, didn't listen to you about counting turns when I unscrewed one needle valve thingy.lol  Just shoulda left it alone..  Got the carb nice and clean though  ;D

It's always nice to have a nice clean carb on a machine that won't run sitting in your garage.... :%$#!:
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

crowkiller

« Reply #29 on: Sep 11, 2006, 08:54 AM »
I give up.
so i guess your not going to take it over any sweet jumps any time soon

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.