The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 1st time icer, heading to Clark Canyon  (Read 4946 times)

Offline jnewcs

• IceShanty Rookie
1st time icer, heading to Clark Canyon
« on: Jan 04, 2020, 07:00 PM »
New to the site and new to ice fishing. Been fishing my entire life but am ready to try the ice. I live a few minutes from Clark Canyon so I figured it'd make the most sense to head there to get my feet wet(hopefully not literately)  Been out there a couple times to check the ice and see whats-up. From what I saw there are a few places where there are small shanty towns. Looks like the most popular spots are both inlets and the Lonetree area. Also saw a couple people on the east side by the dam.

I have searched here for some info and found a few tips and places to try. One thing a lot of people have suggested is the 'cliffs'. Not sure where that is.

The wind looks like it sux at CC. The reason I never fished it from my boat in summer. I went ahead and ordered a shelter so I hope that'll help. Should be here next week.

I am mostly looking to catch trout. I'll try for burbot once I get more into it.

Any info would be great. Thanks all

Offline jnewcs

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 1st time icer, heading to Clark Canyon
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2020, 07:13 PM »
Oh yeah, I wanted to also ask; Is there any areas to avoid? For safety reasons?  Under water spring and stuff that make the ice unsafe'er.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2020, 11:43 PM »
Tell your dad you want to go fishing. I am sure he would love to take you.

Offline nedwreck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2020, 11:23 AM »
This is often referred to as the dead sea but there are people who do very well with both trout and ling.
While fishing, the only time I drink is when I'm alone or with somebody.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2020, 01:56 PM »
???

Offline 2cents

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2020, 04:41 PM »

Wow, what a ASS***e

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the tags are filled you can bet Im on the ice
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2020, 05:12 PM »
Some get a thrill out of ragging on new members to the site. Others welcome you to the site. One more post and you will be able to reach the reports page that is loaded with all the info you should ever need. Exactly why this site is alive, to allow anglers to share information with one another as we enjoy the sport on the water. I have done well on the east side of the lake just about everywhere for trout utilizing a small red glow jig with a red tail tipped with maggots from 10-30’ of water. Ling I utilize a glow jig tipped with crawlers or sucker meat. Hope this helps, good luck on the ice this season, and again welcome to the site!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2020, 06:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum jnewcs.....You only need 1 post to see the "Montana Fishing Reports & Conditions" section, so you're good to go there.....Good luck & stay safe on the hardwater !!

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=323792.0

Offline jnewcs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2020, 07:24 PM »

Not sure what this means. Maybe an ice fishing joke I am not yet tuned into? Or maybe you're a tool and are trying to pad your posts? Either way, thanks for bringing zero to the conversation.

Offline jnewcs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2020, 07:27 PM »
Some get a thrill out of ragging on new members to the site. Others welcome you to the site. One more post and you will be able to reach the reports page that is loaded with all the info you should ever need. Exactly why this site is alive, to allow anglers to share information with one another as we enjoy the sport on the water. I have done well on the east side of the lake just about everywhere for trout utilizing a small red glow jig with a red tail tipped with maggots from 10-30’ of water. Ling I utilize a glow jig tipped with crawlers or sucker meat. Hope this helps, good luck on the ice this season, and again welcome to the site!

Thank you for the info. I just got back. While I didn't get anything it was nice to be out fishing. 1st time I've seen wind come from 4 directions all in 10 minutes. That was cool. But I can't wait till my tent gets here.
One guy had a couple nice trout and a few lings that he said he got around sun-up. No one else I talked with did any good.

Thanks to everybody for the info and welcome.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2020, 07:35 PM »
Thank you for the info. I just got back. While I didn't get anything it was nice to be out fishing. 1st time I've seen wind come from 4 directions all in 10 minutes. That was cool. But I can't wait till my tent gets here.
One guy had a couple nice trout and a few lings that he said he got around sun-up. No one else I talked with did any good.

Yep great Montana weather, give it 5 minutes and it'll change, shack will change everything put mine up yesterday and it got nice out, but nice to get in out of the weather and fish in comfort. The cliffs by the old Marina are a great place to get trout and ling, was where I fished the last time I was there

Offline jnewcs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2020, 07:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum jnewcs.....You only need 1 post to see the "Montana Fishing Reports & Conditions" section, so you're good to go there.....Good luck & stay safe on the hardwater !!

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=323792.0

Thanks, While I was lurking I saw mention of this forum but was never able to view it, Now I know why. Thanks!

Offline jnewcs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2020, 07:44 PM »
Thanks, While I was lurking I saw mention of this forum but was never able to view it, Now I know why. Thanks!

Great, After I left I drove around a little and checked out other spots. I think I know where you're talking about;

Here'ish?

Mizayikaa

« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2020, 11:10 PM »
Feeling just fine about being the A-hole on this post. Think I had it pegged.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2020, 01:08 AM »

The only A-hole here being pegged is yours......

To the OP, you can also block certain members posts too.

I suggest trying to find a buddy or a co-worker to go with you your first couple times out. Preferably someone knows what they are doing or at least has been ice fishing before. If you can’t do that, try talking to a few people out on the ice and tell them your situation. Ask for help, if people are jerks, spud on.

Don’t let a few jerks spoil your time here, IceShanty is a great place with great people that have great experience. Stay a while and you’ll be a pro in no time!
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2020, 02:56 AM »

HaHa.....I think the 3 quotes below show all of us just who got pegged !!
Since you're feeling so good about yourself, you can feel even better knowing you made my "Ignore List".....I'll no longer have to see any of your ignorant posts & I hope others do the same !!

Wow, what a ASS***e

Or maybe you're a tool and are trying to pad your posts? Either way, thanks for bringing zero to the conversation.

The only A-hole here being pegged is yours......

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2020, 07:58 AM »
HaHa.....I think the 3 quotes below show all of us just who got pegged !!
Since you're feeling so good about yourself, you can feel even better knowing you made my "Ignore List".....I'll no longer have to see any of your ignorant posts & I hope others do the same !!

X2

Offline CatchDeFeesh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2020, 09:18 AM »
Good luck out there! When I lived in Dillon I ice fished CC a number of times for trout. I’m no expert on the reservoir but have pulled trout out of there in multiple areas. Play around with how deep your bait goes. I’ve had the best success between 6-12 feet below the ice, no matter how deep it is. Others swear by fishing the bottom.

One more word of advise. If you purchased a pop up shelter, be vary cautious about setting it up in the winds there. A buddy and I tried setting my quick fish 6 in 30mph sustained and went for a hell of a ride across the reservoir and broke one of my poles.

Have fun, explore, and bring some friends! I took multiple first timers on CC and all had a blast!

Offline cjwalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • tight lines!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2020, 12:15 PM »

The guy you saw with the fish, did he spend a while chipping out his ice-tent?  If so that was my duma$$!  One of the dumber things I've done in a while.  That was by far the most fish I've ever caught in a day there before, (turned back several smaller ones). Was in that vicinity last week with my kids, and only caught 1.  I was still seeing several on the vexilar as I was packing up, but had to get home. Good luck out there!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2020, 12:44 PM »
The guy you saw with the fish, did he spend a while chipping out his ice-tent?  If so that was my duma$$!  One of the dumber things I've done in a while.  That was by far the most fish I've ever caught in a day there before, (turned back several smaller ones). Was in that vicinity last week with my kids, and only caught 1.  I was still seeing several on the vexilar as I was packing up, but had to get home. Good luck out there!
Man ain’t it hard! You know you have to go but the fish are right there on the vex!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline cjwalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • tight lines!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2020, 04:06 PM »
Man ain’t it hard! You know you have to go but the fish are right there on the vex!
Keep it safe! JDL
[/quote

Lol, definitely! I've told myself "just 5 more minutes", more times on that lake, than anywhere!
Tight lines! ]

Offline jnewcs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2020, 06:29 PM »

Yeah man, That was you I spoke with. Over at West Cameahwait, right? I was wondering what you were doing. What was that about? Your tent froze to the ice or something?
Peace

Offline cjwalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • tight lines!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2020, 06:47 PM »
Yeah man, That was you I spoke with. Over at West Cameahwait, right? I was wondering what you were doing. What was that about? Your tent froze to the ice or something?
Peace
Yep, bonehead mistake by me, shovelled too much wet slush around the edges while I was setting up in the dark. Lesson learned the hard way lol.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2020, 06:50 PM »
That really holds the skirts down good. Did it once myself.

Offline jnewcs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2020, 07:04 PM »
Note to self;

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2020, 07:29 PM »
Note to self;
Yep, it's easy to do and creates a lot of work.

Offline jnewcs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2020, 09:04 PM »
Instead of a heater, does anyone use a lantern for heat(2 person tent)? I like the idea of it being dual purpose.

Offline whitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2020, 09:51 PM »
I do not like lanterns in a shelter. The fumes get to me. I do like Buddy Heaters. They hardly put out a smell. But one needs some ventilation with anything.

Offline tmarie406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2020, 10:57 AM »
Great, After I left I drove around a little and checked out other spots. I think I know where you're talking about;

Here'ish?

(Image removed from quote.)

Horse Prairie campground is a good place to start, you can catch anything from rainbows to browns to ling.  Go to where there are lots of huts, obviously that means it's good fishing, but keep in mind that if you fish too close to someones hut, they won't be friendly so keep a respectable distance from them and you'll be fine. Fishing is normally best in the morning! Good luck!

Offline dlueck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2020, 12:15 PM »
You can use the buddy heaters to warm up food. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.