Author Topic: Line  (Read 1666 times)

Offline rcwlogic

• IceShanty Rookie
Line
« on: Jan 01, 2020, 01:09 PM »
What #test for jigging I have done my best with 2# but do not know if it was better spot. I switched to 4# last season and did not do anything again could be spot or luck I have talked to people using 6# or more which would be easier for knots but I’m hesitant  to try
This year I set up a lowrance 525c with an ice ducer past years I only had an old fish trap flasher and I honestly only ever saw one fish on it.
I hope I will be able to see if there are fish or it’s time to move on

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Line
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2020, 01:15 PM »
I assume you are in Panfish then, I have used 2# I hated it. 3# was enjoyable. 4# seemed indestructible comparing and 9 out of 10 times saw no difference in jig performance or bite  ratio. I now use 6 on anything and still do totally fine ( I’m a trout guy who will jig if slow for whites or craps). If I was strictly a pannie guy I’d prob run 4 all around. Just my opinion. Not saying it’s right. I also fish areas where a 15” Crappie or a 2.5 lb whitey could happen at all times so
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2020, 01:16 PM »
Thank you for beginning a actual thread worth starting, very refreshing. There are 30 started threads on this front page and 20 are complete Dogcrap!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2020, 01:26 PM »
I use 4 lb maxima leader... reels are loaded with 10 lbs braid... jigging is a secondary technique for me, another arrow in the quiver,  not my primary game, but there are days and circumstances that make it a necessary evil..my main target are whites and crappie,  but enough 3 lb plus smallies and the ocassional large rainbow make it interesting.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2020, 01:47 PM »
2lb is a serious pain to tie, but I know a few guys who swear by it. There does seem to be a higher ratio of hook ups the lower # test line you go.

That being said if mirror what’s already been stated. I’ve caught a lot of panfish on 6#, but I would run 4# if I was intent on jigging for panfish often. Trout and lakers I would want 6# at least.

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2020, 01:58 PM »
6lb on my panfish rods. I fish places with lots of pickerel and big bass.  My  other jigging rods have 10lb on them..
All XPS fluorocarbon..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2020, 02:00 PM »
Oh yeah if your looking for type/brand for price + quality I think p-line is very hard to beat. If it’s not braid I pretty much use it for everything where floro “fits”.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2020, 02:11 PM »
I’m also using 4# on all my jig rods....I do have one rod with 6#........As for my tip ups, I’ll use 4# for leaders..
zwiggles that’s an interesting fact about the lower the # the higher ratio of hook ups...I’ve never would of even considered using 2# because it is a PITA to use IMO...I had two jig rods I bought that came with it yrs ago and as AA stated...hated it
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2020, 02:23 PM »
PG, I don’t know if it’s a “fact”. fish hit for god knows what reason most of the time, but I had always been told it was true and it makes sense in theory. A few years back I ran 8, 6, and 4# floro trolling on Winni, and the results were obvious in that scenario. I just snapped off way to many fish, lures, and flies with 4#, and have stuck with 6# since.

I also tried 4#, and 2# side by side so to speak jigging a few years back for panfish. I still have the spool of 2# somewhere, I tied on everything the night before in a well lit shop with no wind. Tried to change jigs on the ice, and yeah..... I don’t have the skills.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2020, 03:11 PM »
Similar struggles here with light line. And my fingers just don't work like they used to, trying to tie knots with that stuff(especially out in the wind and cold like others have said).
It's 6# for me on all jig rods, regardless. I'm not a big panfisherman though, so I guess I wouldn't notice the difference in bites. I have had the occasional snap-off, but Usually no problem with the 6 for what I'm targeting.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Dickbakers

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2020, 03:18 PM »
 :tipup:  I use Trilene XL for everything.   6 lb leaders on my traps and 4 lb on my pan fish rods.  I take the time to straighten them all out before they go in the water.
Dick

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2020, 04:34 PM »
Pan fish rods are strung with 3# stren high vis, heavier bass rods have 8# p-line on them.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline rcwlogic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2020, 06:51 PM »
Thank you all for the info When I’m in the portable it’s not so bad to deal with 2# I have lost my patience a few times while fishing in the open..
I think I’m going to try 4# and 6 #
I wish I could say I was good enough to successfully target a species I shoot for yellow perch but in ten years I only had one outing where I caught a bunch. I usually move around and punching and jigging.I have always thought in clean water even if dark the fish would have pretty good vis so the smaller diameter line would be better and I thought trout had especially good sight. I spool my reels for trout With hope

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2020, 07:14 PM »
Thank you all for the info When I’m in the portable it’s not so bad to deal with 2# I have lost my patience a few times while fishing in the open..
I think I’m going to try 4# and 6 #
I wish I could say I was good enough to successfully target a species I shoot for yellow perch but in ten years I only had one outing where I caught a bunch. I usually move around and punching and jigging.I have always thought in clean water even if dark the fish would have pretty good vis so the smaller diameter line would be better and I thought trout had especially good sight. I spool my reels for trout With hope
sent a pm on yellow perch hunting
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2020, 07:17 PM »
YP should become like a video game with a new finder/flasher. Punch holes until you find the school and go to town!

Offline rcwlogic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2020, 07:51 PM »
YP should become like a video game with a new finder/flasher. Punch holes until you find the school and go to town!
I hope it helps even if I do not catch at least it will let me know if I’m on the right track

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2020, 09:50 PM »
I used to use 6lb trilene Micro ice for years and 4lb also. I used it for years thinking it was the best.  It is good strong
Line, I caught alot of fish in it. A good friend who is a master at jigging converted me to pline cx premium.  We fished together alot and he always outfished me. He said it was the best line for ice fishing.  He's also a fosh biologist so i took him seriously.  He would hammer everything on his 2lb test set ups.  Its all in the drag. I made the switch and my catch rates went way up. Its very strong but limber and thinner than other lines.  I use 4lb test on all my rods but have 2 rods spooled with 2lb test for panfish. When im on the bigger lakes i primarily use the 4lb test but keep 2lb handy for the days when the wp are very finicky.  Ive caught Lakers and salmon by accident on the 2lb and it handled it fine.  Even jigged up finiky bows in the shallows on 2lb test without an issue. Main issue is knot tying as was mentioned.  I use a trilene knot almost exclusively and it works great however, when i tie 2lb i only use the palomar as its the only one that i can tie with 2lb because its so flimsy.  Honestly imo the cx premium is the best. If your afraid to try the 2lb test then try the 4lb test. I challenge anyone to find a stronger 4lb test line its that good. You will be shocked by how thin it is but is so hard to break. I've never broke a fish off. Give it a try. I suggest online purschase as its hard to find although the tackle shack might have it. Good luck
Salmonemia

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2020, 06:19 AM »
just got some 4 lb CX premium in the mail to try - good to see another positive review.

my favorite 2 lb mono is maxima ultragreen - mainly use that for fussy trout in open water.  i have used it icefishing, but has more stretch than i prefer.  lots of crap 2 lb line choices out there.  maxima is the best that I've found and i've tried alot of them.  lots of good 20 lb lines, but if there's any manufacturing defect or inconsistencies in 2 lb test you'll find out in a hurry.

anyway, most of my jigging rods have 3 lb fireline crystal ice with a 4 lb leader of seaguar blue label.  this combo gives me tons of sensitivity, great hooksets, it's very tough, and i get the stealth of thin 4 lb fluoro leader at the business end.  only time i get bit off is if I hook a pick past the teeth.  3 lb fireline is super strong stuff with a good drag it's almost impossible to break.

if i'm fishing for lakers or something bigger than panfish (which isn't that often anymore thru the ice), i'll use 6 lb fireline crystal ice + 6 lb fluoro leader.

only trouble with fireline is that it will ice up in very cold weather.  so if it's really cold, i'll fish in my pop over with a heater.  pretty much only line/leader that i use now.

Offline BIBBILL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2020, 07:47 AM »
I just spooled up some 3lb suffix ice magic mono and really liked it the first time I went out. Granted it was the first trip using that line I would say I like it much better than the 2lb trilene mono I have on my other panfish combo
"Commitment issues like a pressured crappie"

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2020, 08:04 AM »
The suffix ice magic mono is great , been using it on all my perch rods 3 and 4lb. test no issues so far even when reeling in lake trout or salmon.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2020, 11:32 AM »
I just spooled up some 3lb suffix ice magic mono and really liked it the first time I went out. Granted it was the first trip using that line I would say I like it much better than the 2lb trilene mono I have on my other panfish combo

It’s my go to for crappie or white perch fishing. Landed a few nice lake trout on it last season too... that was a blast. 3lb test
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2020, 12:52 PM »
just got some 4 lb CX premium in the mail to try - good to see another positive review.

trust me you wont be disappointed. Its the best.
Salmonemia

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2020, 05:28 AM »
Great info on line! How long of a leader are you guys running when targeting salmon and trout and what is best knot to connect leader material

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2020, 06:40 AM »
No salmon allowed through ice in nh. Leader sizes vary by angler. I use 3 to 4 feet.  I am a trilene knot guy almost exclusively.  Learn a knot to tie and be good at it but also have confidence in that knot. On fresh water i use trilene knot 99 percent of the time.  Its easy for me and can tie it quickly
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2020, 07:18 AM »
No salmon allowed through ice in nh. Leader sizes vary by angler. I use 3 to 4 feet.  I am a trilene knot guy almost exclusively.  Learn a knot to tie and be good at it but also have confidence in that knot. On fresh water i use trilene knot 99 percent of the time.  Its easy for me and can tie it quickly

this^

I use double uni knot for mono to braid... palomar knot everywhere else... 3' of 4 lbon my jigging rods the exception being the rods I use for laker fishing.. those get 3' of 6lb.... 5' on my deep water tip ups ( 8lb leader)  2' of( 6 lb) on my shallow water tip ups for trout .
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2020, 07:30 AM »
this^

I use double uni knot for mono to braid... palomar knot everywhere else... 3' of 4 lbon my jigging rods the exception being the rods I use for laker fishing.. those get 3' of 6lb.... 5' on my deep water tip ups ( 8lb leader)  2' of( 6 lb) on my shallow water tip ups for trout .

X2!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2020, 05:43 PM »
this^

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.