Author Topic: clothing for hard water fishing  (Read 15464 times)

Offline singleshot

• IceShanty Rookie
  • God made water to walk on.
clothing for hard water fishing
« on: Oct 18, 2002, 10:15 PM »
I layer alot when ice fishing and I like to wear wool. What I don't like is the raw neck I get from the collar on my wool shirts. Does anyone know where I can buy a silk underwear top with a turtle neck. I could use other materials but the wool won't drag on the silk and it will breath.

Offline walleye4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice, BABY!!!!!!!!
Re: clothing for hard water fishing
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2002, 02:34 PM »

OH NO, I have Jig-a-nitis!  Very deadly disease!!!

horhay

« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2002, 10:37 PM »
A good pair of boots is a must. I have LaCrosse Icemans Plus. I love em. A good Columbia Jacket and bibs are good. I do not care for long underware, I use sweatpants. What ever you wear, layer your cloths. When you buy boots make sure you leave room for 2 pairs of thick socks. I just picked up thin turtle necks at Younkers in Fon du Lac for 5 bucks each. The wife picked up a nice Columbia Jacket for  $167. I am new to this site so I hope you recieve this. Later, Horhay

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2002, 03:53 AM »
I agree...boots are one of the most important items. PLEASE do yourself a favor....buy a pair of "Mickey Mouse" boots. I have two pair and I LOVE them. My feet get cold in everything else expect them. 3years ago I stepped into a 10" hole up to my knee. My boot was filled with water, and all I did was wring out my sock and dump the water out of my boot. It was about 0deg that day (not shanty for my at this time), and my foot stayed warm all day. My wifes feet always got cold, now that she has these boots...thay get hot.

Here is the deal....the boot has a rubber interior then has a wool liner, then the outer rubber shell. The wool never gets wet because it is sandwiched between two layers of rubber, so therefore, it never looses it's insulating properties.I don't care how much your feet sweat or what you wear for socks...your feet stay warm.

Check out http://www.sportsmansguide.com Search under "Mickey". They have two types, A new and improved, and the standard. I have the standard. I think the standard are about $40.

If you don't like them...send them back. I believe they have a 100% satisfaction policy.

As far as clothing, I have any of the expensive stuff. On top I wear a poly long sleeve shirt, a t-shirt, a heavy weight Champion sweat shirt, a fleece, then a mid weight jacket if needed.
On the bottom I wear poly long johns, jeans, and a pair of Carhartt insulated bibs.

Don't forget to wear a hat! You lose most of your body heat out of your head. As the old saying goes...If your feet are cold ...put on a hat.

Good luck and stay warm.

Donald G Kelly

« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2002, 06:55 PM »
Good Boots. Carhart Extremes will be a great investment. I wear mine fishing and snowmobiling. They break the wind and keep you toasty warm.

DaveW731

« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2002, 09:52 AM »
#1 item;  Good boots, as mentioned.......I can personally vouch for Hodgeman's -80degree model.

#2 item: moisture-wicking underwear:  I found that switching to more aggressive wicking material (e.g., thermax) let me cut down on my layering, without sacrificing warmth.  I like wool pants and wool shirts , as the final layer under my coat and carhart bibs

Maze1162

« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2002, 07:57 PM »
Military Surplus stores and the ones on the web carry an item called ECWCS Neck Gaiters.  They are comfortable and warm and will cover your face as well.  I have used them to keep my neck warm and free of chaffing.  They run about $7.
Try www.majorsurplusnsurvi val.com off the top of my head
                                Maze

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2002, 05:57 AM »
Esox hit the target KEEP your feet warm. In 40 years of ice fishing I have always had a pair of Sorrels, and now with a pair of neoprene? socks on - toasty. I also keep a spare pair of boots in the truck to wear on the ride home - a lot more comfortable.
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline Sturge1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2002, 06:37 AM »
Flash King, Neoprene socks are great if you are one that sweats up the liners in your boots. For years I would sweat out my liners and have cold feet, I went to the Mickeys but found them too cumbersome. Once I started to use the neoprene socks I could go to much lighter boots and stay toasty. A note I do put on thin polypro socks under the neoprene. They keep all the moisture away from the liner.
Good Fishing!
Sturge1

Wables

« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2002, 04:36 PM »
Once you have warm and dry feet, I feel the next most important thing is your hat.  I wear a thick sheepskin hat with big floppy ears.  It is amazing how much warmer you stay if you have a warm head!  I also like to wear wool bibs, but feel that a windbreaker is necessary with them. Underneath goes a pair of LL Bean polarfleece lined bluejeans.  Those things are awesome!  Top it off with a Columbia jacket, fingerless wool gloves, and a positive attitude and you are all set!  Dang I need to get out.  There should be ice near me by Saturday! ;D

Wables

ARMSTRONG_BROS.

« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2002, 07:44 PM »
I have a polar wrap, it goes around your face and neck. what it does is when you breath out your warm air goes into some copper coils, and when you breath in it warms your next breath. Keeps blood flowing to your hands and feet.
                                                 Brother#3

Big_Mean

« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2002, 12:06 PM »
Yes ,I to am a firm beliver of Neoprene socks & Rockys Snowstalker Extremes.there good for -150 .  they keep me out all day with no trouble. Rockeys go for 179.00, or I have seen them at Cabelas in the Bargan Cave for $ 70.0 . thanks for all Info ,people .  I am new to this site                                           BIG MEAN

Offline Smelt1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Run with the big dawgs,or stay on the porch!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2002, 10:29 AM »
If your feet are still getting cold standing on the ice try putting in tinfoil under your liner.An old survival trick taught to me by uncle sam.Also NASA uses same technique in their astronaught boots.Can't imagine anyplace colder than space except the old ladies heart if I eat all the fish ;D
Bubba  

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2002, 03:08 PM »
ill used to do the layerd thing, with the long underware and turtle neck, until a i bought a set of cabelas coldweather coveralls.  Now, i just wear a pair of jeans, and a sweat shirt, to my destination, and put the coveralls on, just b4 i go on the ice.  I have not yet once gotten too cold, and when i go in the shanty, i have to unzip the top layer, to keep from sweating.  of course, i still need 2 layers of heavy socks, and a good pair of waterproof insulated boots

mngonefishing

« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2002, 04:52 PM »
Just remember the word COLD to stay Warm. Clean,don't Overheat, Loose and in layers, stay Dry. polypro's, wool pants and shirt,wind proof jacket and pants, stocking cap, good boots.

rails1210

« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2003, 07:55 AM »
Carhart that is all you need

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2003, 10:00 AM »
a good dry warm boot for 10 dollars! buy wal-mart rubber boots 2 sizes too big and layer socks untill snug. I suggest knee high rubber boats for those slush days. I've never owned 200 dollar boots so I can't compare but I have warm feet for 10 bucks and some old socks. Love that hard water.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2003, 10:16 AM »
What a pain in the a$$ it must be to put on your boots. How many pairs of socks do you use?

Try a pair of LaCrosse Ice King boots. They are great. They list for $109.95 on their website.

http://www.lacrosse-outdoors.com/retail/prod2c.asp

Pikemaster

« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2003, 05:31 AM »
Lots of good info here.  Nothing ruins an otherwise good trip faster than getting cold.  My hard-and-fast rule for staying warm is "Keep the cotton away from the body".  Cotton doesn't wick moisture and if you're wearing it next to the body and you sweat, you're going to get cold regardless of how may layers you're wearing.  Use poly, thermax, or similar longjohns and socks and the problem minimizes.  You'll also need fewer layers.  

That, coupled with good boots and, for us chrome domes, a warm hat, makes even the most vicious Wisconsin weather seem balmy.  Well, at least tolerable.

Pikemaster

Offline BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2003, 11:57 AM »
Does any one use them fingerless gloves? what are the best Wool or Neopreme? Can you preform most of your tasks with them on ,like tieing lures and jigs and things? Then do you just put a big pair of choppers over them when your Move around and drilling holes and stuff. My fingers suck when it comes to cold , disfunctional I guess would be the word. I cann't even button my pants after I take a leak, if ya know what I mean>

Offline Russellman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2003, 05:07 PM »
Walleyestar,
I've been wearing fleece fingerless gloves for about 5-6 years now & wouldn't head for the ice without them.  The fleece ones shuck the water pretty nicely after you get them damp (happens all the time) & keep your hands warmish.  On cold days, I have a pair of chopper gloves (lined with fleece also) that I put over them & on the not so cold days, they go in my coat pockets.  I have one pair from Patagonia & another pair that I bought at Fall-Apart (starts with a W).  I find both fine & the second pair was a LOT cheaper.
I think that they really help when you're setting traps, cooking outside, & just waiting for that next flag.
Try 'em, I bet you'll love them.
Russellman

Offline BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2003, 06:11 PM »
I'm diffently give them a whirl. I have the chopper stye/fingersless gloves but when you flip the mitt back your thumb is still covered up. I should of know better when I shell out the big bucks for them. I'm going to try the two pair approch from now on.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2003, 07:56 PM »
I have a few pair of polypropylene glove liners. They are very thin but surprisingly warm and cheap. I wear them while fishing and the shed water nice and dry fast. When hopping on the snowmobile or when the wind whips up and it turns really cold I throw a pair of long lined mittens over them.

I like to fish in the open. It takes a good bit of cold to force me into a shack.

tj52

« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2003, 08:51 PM »
I used to put on as many socks as i could under my packs and my feet would all ways get cold.  Then some one told me that if you wear alot of socks your feet well sweat and you boots will work like a cooler.  so now all i wear is one pare of thin socks and my feet never get cold.  i all so have a pair of nice packs so that might have something to do with it.

B_Cobb

« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2003, 07:03 AM »
I have a tip I got from an old timer afew years ago . Spray your feet with Right Guard or any good under arm deoderant before you leave in the morning and your feet will stay warm and dry all day. ;D

Offline BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2003, 07:07 AM »
Thats a new one. Great tip! ;D ;D

RSQCAL

« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2003, 08:59 AM »
:D We used the deoderant thing in the service for years. used to work pretty well.   :'( :'(

blazen36

« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2003, 02:11 PM »
Can't wait to try the deoderant trick.

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2003, 11:12 AM »
If you are a "squatter" (people who sit on pails out in the open)  I would invest in a Goretex outfit.  It will keep you warm and dry even in the nastiest weather.  

Jon

« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2003, 02:10 AM »
 We start with flannel lined jeans, duofold henlay shirt, wool/ polypropolene blend socks, then we put down underwear, tops and bottoms on, then finnally dry plus bib pants, and Bombadier jackets, and -100 rated boots, we snowsled in temps down to -40 degrees and our system has never failed us!!! "BE SAFE"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.