The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Eskiomo pistol bit  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Fish addict

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskiomo pistol bit
« on: Nov 23, 2019, 01:25 PM »
Looking for thoughts on matching an 8” eskimo pistol bit with the recommended drills. How important is this? Also would it be to much stress on the hand augers to use them with a drill?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Eskiomo pistol bit
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2019, 01:41 PM »
Looking for thoughts on matching an 8” eskimo pistol bit with the recommended drills. How important is this? Also would it be to much stress on the hand augers to use them with a drill?

To run an 8in auger you need a minnimum of 725inlbs of torque. You also want a Brushless drill. Brand doesn't mater much. For batteries you want a 4ah or larger, and the better insulated built battery pack works better in cold temps.

Hand augers work just fine, & can be picked up on Craigslist cheap. Sharpe blades are important so the augers bite and don't skate on the ice.

Offline Fish addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2019, 01:50 PM »
Ok good to know. When you say hand augers are fine i just want to be clear. Are they fine for using with a drill?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2019, 01:54 PM »
Ok good to know. When you say hand augers are fine i just want to be clear. Are they fine for using with a drill?

Yes

Offline bpfishhunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2019, 06:39 PM »
anyone have/used the pistol bit or the like.? probably ditching the gas auger this year and going this route. kinda ruled out the k drill because I hear its 7.5". thoughts and recommendations on bits you guys have tried. I have used regular lazer hand auger with drill before and it worked good. lighters always better though for me.

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2019, 09:03 PM »
strikemaster just came out with something to rival the pistol bit but this includes a center point like the k drill which the pistol bit lacks. I could never consider going with the k drill due to the 7.5in hole. I have had to chisel an 8in hole bigger twice in my life to fit a fish. no way am I going any smaller.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2019, 09:21 PM »
strikemaster just came out with something to rival the pistol bit but this includes a center point like the k drill which the pistol bit lacks. I could never consider going with the k drill due to the 7.5in hole. I have had to chisel an 8in hole bigger twice in my life to fit a fish. no way am I going any smaller.

This year the pistol has the center point

Offline Newman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2019, 09:24 PM »
I used the  8 inch pistol bit for 1 season and love it. Used with dewalt 995 drill and clam plate. Weighs 11 lbs !! Cuts crazy!! It does walk a bit when starting a hole on glare ice . No prob just go slow . New 2019 model now has center point which will eliminate this .
I like !!!

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2019, 07:17 PM »
I drilled hundreds of hole with the Rigid Octane brushless drill with  1,300 in./lbs. of torque paired with a 6 inch Nils.  This rig rips thru ice all day and night when powered with the 9AMPHR battery... 

It is a pleasure to carry, use and maintain.  What is not to like ...light weight, quiet, industry leading torque, lifetime battery warranty ....

I sold my Jiffy gas auger because I was confident the Rigid will drive my newly purchased 8 inch Lazer Liite and get the same results.
My buddy has a M-FUEL and loves it. Get a Rigid or M-Fuel and enjoy.

Best.

Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2019, 04:56 AM »

Never had to but I’ve tested the kdrill for making a hole wider it rips a second hole  right with an original hole real easy.   Never had to while landing a fish but nice to know you can. Could never do that with the shaving blades on my old gas auger.

Offline bpfishhunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2019, 08:03 PM »
just ordered the new strikemaster lite flite 8" from dicks for $150 from 199.99. had to call to get the 25% off though. weird situation there... pairing that with a clam plate and my brushless Makita drill. excited to try it! hopefully its awesome and will replace my 8" jiffy.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2019, 08:54 PM »
Congrats should be a good setup.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.