The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice holes freezing over. Solution  (Read 7986 times)

Offline elktalk101

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice holes freezing over. Solution
« on: Nov 19, 2019, 01:32 PM »
People do you have your ice fishing holes freeze over. I know that I did. I tried all kinds of things, alcohol, buckets, the aerator egg that Walmart sells and nothing worked until now. I decided to try one of the portable fish aquamarine aerators. The one I found that works great is the  Marine Metal Baby Bubble Box Aquarium Aerator Pump. It has a clip on it so I can attach it to my rod holder so it does not get kicked down the hole. Then you just drop the hose with the air stone on it about halfway down the thickness of the ice and wow no more freeze over. I have and my friends have purchased these and they have worked very well for all of us. A double A battery last all day. Let me know if this works for you also. I think that you will be surprised. Being as I am sharing, another little trick that I do is I cut a hole in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket so I can place this over my lantern. You leave enough room around the lantern so you can place your hands near it to warm them up. What makes this so good is the wind does not blow all the heat away it comes straight up out of the hole This works great.  Cut a round piece of plywood to place in the bucket bottom so you can also hall stuff in it.

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice holes freezing over. Solution
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2019, 02:37 PM »
Great thought! I've used these bad boys for aerating the livewell on the boat to great success, so having an off-season use would be excellent!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2019, 05:17 PM »
People do you have your ice fishing holes freeze over. I know that I did. I tried all kinds of things, alcohol, buckets, the aerator egg that Walmart sells and nothing worked until now. I decided to try one of the portable fish aquamarine aerators. The one I found that works great is the  Marine Metal Baby Bubble Box Aquarium Aerator Pump. It has a clip on it so I can attach it to my rod holder so it does not get kicked down the hole. Then you just drop the hose with the air stone on it about halfway down the thickness of the ice and wow no more freeze over. I have and my friends have purchased these and they have worked very well for all of us. A double A battery last all day. Let me know if this works for you also. I think that you will be surprised. Being as I am sharing, another little trick that I do is I cut a hole in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket so I can place this over my lantern. You leave enough room around the lantern so you can place your hands near it to warm them up. What makes this so good is the wind does not blow all the heat away it comes straight up out of the hole This works great.  Cut a round piece of plywood to place in the bucket bottom so you can also hall stuff in it.

Best choice, in my view, is the Hush Bubbles pump. Pretty quiet, about like a flasher. Said to run 52 hours on 2 "D" cells. I shim the air hose with a 3" piece of foam pipe

insulation so the air stone hangs down closer to the center of the hole. Amazon sells them for $15.99/ea.

missoulafish… those Thorne Bros. gadgets retail at about $100 ea. per the website.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2019, 05:22 PM »
considerable cost difference fo sho!

Offline elktalk101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2019, 08:10 AM »
Good thought Stinkyfingers. I slide a heavy nut down on the air stone to keep it somewhat straight down.  The hose does tend to have a few bends to it.  I also cut off any excess that I do not need.  You can pick up the baby bubbles model for around $6 if you look around. These run fairly quite also. I have had several fishing trips on the same batteries but am not sure how many hours they will run.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2019, 08:31 AM »
Freeze over hardly a bother for me. Just hit it with the skimmer now and then. I also use spring bobbers so the skim doesn't affect them the way it does floats.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2019, 03:11 PM »
I bought some of these last winter, and they really work pretty good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3scZJmf_f2w

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2019, 07:01 PM »
I have used my reg rapala aerator that I use on the minnow pail.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2019, 10:51 AM »
I had no idea about the Baby Bubbles until I checked this thread. That's pretty sweet they run on AA. I may have to get one for my minnow container. I am sick of having to buy D batteries.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2019, 02:23 PM »
12 X 12 inch carpet squares.  Cut a slot from center of any side to middle.  Slide tip up post thru middle.  In my hut I also put carpet squares btw feet and ice for insulation.  I put on the heat vent at night and they are dry by morning.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2019, 04:48 PM »
I bought some of these last winter, and they really work pretty good!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3scZJmf_f2w
Where did you find them?
Dont ask

Mizayikaa

« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2019, 10:28 PM »
Get a couple of brain dead dogs. They will keep your holes open and everyone else's too.

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2019, 07:12 AM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :clap:
The worse day fishing is still better than the best day working!

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2019, 07:45 AM »
I hear a shanty can do wonders for keeping holes open.....;-)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2019, 10:15 AM »
Where did you find them?

I found the best price at Sportsman’s Guide but they’re also available at Amazon.

Exactly the same unit sold by Lucky Duck as a “quiver magnet.”
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline elktalk101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2019, 04:03 PM »
You can also find them on Ebay for around$10 each.

Offline Worktoplay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2019, 01:37 PM »
Go to lowes and have them cut a sheet of plywood down to 12x12 squares make a slot for the line or tips ups  paint them black n clear coat them problem solved

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2019, 05:46 PM »
or get a black piece of runner normally used to step on inside the door---usually made from rubber.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline elktalk101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2019, 05:58 PM »
That's all fine as long as you are using tip ups. But if you use a bobber that doesn't work so good.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:18 PM »

Just curious why the egg aerator didn’t work for you? I’ve been using mine for several years now and it works great! Even bought another one last year so I have a backup.

Where's the FISH?!

Offline elktalk101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2019, 08:05 AM »
Egg aerator problems. If any water gets in them while pulling in a fish (they sometimes get submerged from the action) they quit making bubbles. I had six of them and they all died.  My fishing buddy had six and his all died. The motor still runs just no bubbles. We tried everything we could think of and still get no bubbles. We dried them out at home and still nothing. I wasted a lot of money on these just to throw them out. If you use these be very careful that they do not get any water thru the cap.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2019, 08:58 AM »
Yeah, you definitely have to watch that. And how you handle them so they don't get dunked underwater(can't drop them in the hole). If you notice, I made a lanyard on mine thru the hole in the cap so they are easy to grab. First thing I do when I have a fish on is pull it out of the hole.

I had a few issues before I made the modifications. But every time they got dunked, I took the cap off and battery out and dumped the water out and blew out all the excess(wasn't a lot of water, but apparently just enough to cause problems). Still wouldn't blow bubbles, but once I got it home I put it next to the wood stove to dry and next time out it was fine. I have done this several times with each of my bubblers and they are still working fine.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2019, 01:13 AM »
I have tried everything from carpet squares to the foam sleeping pads you get at Wal-Mart, cut in a circle. My friend used Heet for cars. That's gotta be bad for the environment. The best thing for me is a good old spud bar. The Eskimo Red Neck chisel would be smaller and lighter weight. A skimmer works for thin skim ice.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2019, 09:50 AM »
Even if you paid me the $140, I wouldn’t add 6.5 pounds to my sled.  ;)
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2019, 10:22 AM »
I made hole insulators out of a foam cushioned foot mat I bought at Home Depot which is glued to a piece of masonite. I made mine long enough to support the Ice Rigger tip-ups I use, but you could make similar insulators just a couple inches bigger than your fishing holes.

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2019, 10:27 AM »
Now that’s using your dipstick Pete. Great idea. 👍👍
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Mizayikaa

« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2019, 12:03 AM »
Oh man, this is about to get good.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2019, 01:01 AM »
It's for extreme cold weather deadsticking. Usually by way of snow machine.
Not really intended for the walk on, sled pulled by hand, pond jumping type of angler in who fishes in mild-moderate winter temps.

Is that what the salesman told you?  :tipup:
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #29 on: Dec 09, 2019, 07:35 AM »
Oh man, this is about to get good.

Got my pop corn ready!
wish you many hook-ups

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.