Author Topic: My first build.  (Read 2836 times)

Offline tshoudel

• IceShanty Rookie
My first build.
« on: Nov 16, 2019, 08:03 AM »
I'm planning on building a 4x6 or 4x8, very lightweight, hard side shack that will double as both fish house and hunting blind.  I'm limited to about 4.5ft wide total due to my trailer clearance, and it's essential that I be able to pull by myself by hand. 

I have been searching the threads here and have come up with the following ideas.  Please sound off with your experience or advice.

All ideas start with a 4x8 sheet of treated 1/2" ply and 2x4 or 2x6 (snow clearance) runners and framing.

1) Making SIP panels using 1.5" in foam and luan.  Beefing up the exterior with integrated 2x2s. (This seems cool but doesnt eliminate that many 2x2s and requires a lot of adhesive.)

2) Framing in 2x2s with luan on the inside and outside with pink 1.5" foam in between the studs.

3) Same as #2 with with cloroplast on the outside.

4) Seems like some people frame in 2x2s, then screw full sheets of foam to the outside of the framing? then skin the outside with luan or cloroplast?

5) I've seen a few people say they have framed with 3/4"? This doesn't seem strong enough to me.  As a deer blind this will be left unattended in possibly windy conditions. 

I'm an amateur woodworker so I have the tools, just not much experience with hard side shacks in this area. 
-Sorry but the road less traveled isn't always well paved.

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My first build.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2019, 06:27 PM »
I think you have a pretty good idea of what you want/need, so I'll throw out a few ideas so you can more easily come to your final decision.
1/2" ply for the floor is good enough but I would use a 2X4 ripped in half for the floor joists to save some weight. That's what I used and my shack is 6' wide. Keep in mind that the runners will break up that 4.5' span and make it even shorter. For added effect you can bring the runners in about 6" making the span between the runners even shorter. What this does is it makes the floor somewhat cantilevered due to the outside walls being on the other side of the runners, so you now have opposing forces that tend to cancel each other out. The walls are trying to lever the center of the floor upward but your body weight is trying to push the floor downward.

SIP panels are basically a "torsion box" similar to a hollow core door. It makes a very strong light weight panel, but it still might need some additional support in the center as you've already determined. Instead of adding the support on the outside, I would put it on the inside, that way there is less surface area for the wind to grab. Also the wind will push the panel from the outside so having the support on the inside makes the wall stronger. You can then use the area between the wall studs to make up some thin shelves and hang some hooks on the studs for clothing etc.

Framing with 2X2 and then adding insulation in between is how it is usually done but that doesn't mean that the SIP panels are a bad idea if that is how you want it to look.

I have no experience in using coroplast as sheathing so I offer no advice there.

Offline JOBBER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2019, 01:31 PM »
Your floor plan size of 4’x6’ will be tight for [2] people, with their “personal” gear.
4’x8’, with door in the middle of an 8’ side (allows equal egress), would be probably be a better choice.
Due to the small size, weight could shed weight by using 1x2 intermediate wall studs and 1x3 (made into an L) for the corners. I made a deer stand of 1x2 and 3mm marine plywood. It lasted over [10] years outside, with no maintenance. It’s easy to over build a small shelter. 
Check posts about “runners” freezing in the ice.

General Material Weights:
1/2” Treated Plywood @ 1.42 ppsf (45.5 lbs per 4x8 sheet)
2 in. x 2 in. x 8 ft. Furring Strip ≈4 lbs
2 in. x 6 in. x 8 ft. Stud ≈16.6 lbs
1/4" x 48" x 96" sheet of LAUAN weighs ≈17.5 lbs
R-6 Expanded Polystyrene Foam (Styrofoam) 1-1/2" x 4' x 8' ≈4 lbs
This material absorbs water & has no structural value

Alternate Foam
R-4 Extruded Polystyrene Insulation (25 PSI Compressive Strength) 3/4" x 4' x 8' ≈3 lbs
For above grade or below grade applications – does not absorbs water
This is a structural rigid foam and hard to damage (dent). It would only require a “skin” on the outside, for weather protection.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2019, 02:07 PM »
I would rip 2x4 lumber down to 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" for all wall framing.  Then glue and screw the walls together.  I would not use luan in any part of the exterior sheathing as it will not last.  I would use aluminum trim coil on the outside, high density foam insulation and luan inside to stiffen everything up.  There's plenty of great build on this site so do your home work.  Good luck and post plenty of pics.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2019, 04:38 PM »
Another thing to consider is the height of your walls. There is no need to have an 8' wall unless you are 7.5' tall. A shorter wall will make the overall weight lighter and would catch less wind and also be less tipsy given your narrow width.

Offline patchman5401

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2019, 05:03 PM »
Unless availability or cost is a factor I would consider using 2x4 cedar lumber ripped down to 2x2. Would help to shed a little weight from your shack.

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2019, 06:20 PM »
Hey tshoudel you tube is yet friend ...lots of info...even if ya have ta think outside da box...dont forget pics as you begin ta build it good luck my friend

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.