Author Topic: Post fishing routine (dealing with soreness)  (Read 2984 times)

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
Post fishing routine (dealing with soreness)
« on: Nov 09, 2019, 09:22 AM »
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what is your post fishing routine for dealing with soreness?

I'm in my late 40's and I only go out once a week, usually on Saturdays. I try to get home for happy hour around 5pm. I'm usually somewhat sore, back/neck aches and the sort.

I'll take an Aleve right when I get home and jump in a hot shower. Then it's a few beers and either a martini or a a few bourbons. That seems to do the trick.

What do you guys do post fishing when you get home?

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Post fishing routine (dealing with soreness)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2019, 09:40 AM »
This started happening to me about 10-12 years ago when I was your age. Neck, back, shoulders, legs and hips.  I read about people with arthritis using Tumeric and I gave it a shot. It has worked well for me.  My wife uses it too now.  She prefers the more expensive pre-mixed stuff that is a little more palatable.  I just order a large bottle online and its much more economical.  I stir 1-2 teaspoons of the powder into a glass with a jigger or so of bottled lemon or lime juice and then add a couple of shakes of black pepper.  Mix it up well and knock it back .  The citrus helps cover up the taste a bit.  Supposedly the capsacin in the pepper facilitates the absorption process.  CBD has been helpful too but far too expensive and not as good as the tumeric for me.  Hope it helps.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2019, 09:53 AM »
Yep, things change @ 40. Wait'll ya hit 60. Then stuff really changes...

Being in shape helps the most. If you condition to exceed the demand on your body you'll rarely ache or get injured. Back and neck pain are usually symptoms of poor posture or weak front side. Remember your back has two sides. If you have a flabby front and ask the "back" of your back to do all the work it's gonna suffer.

Low back pain is often indicative of that. Poor posture, hunching over a hole or from being cold on your neck and shoulders leaves you with pain there. On bitter cold days when I'm outside one of those adhesive heat packs just below the collar on my tee shirt between my shoulder blades makes me comfortable and hunch/shiver free.

Stretching when you get home helps too especially if you have any cramping issues.

As far as your program, Aleve on an empty tummy with alcohol can be a recipe for upset or lining damage. Especially if it's often. Add a couple crackers with some cheese and sausage or pickled fish to your medication and martini you'll be just fine. And what's wrong with a martini (or two)?

Capsaicin... I've got about a three a day habanero habit. I just like the flavor but the heat ain't bad  @)

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2019, 11:04 AM »
Esox said it. Mid 40s I was going to say give it another 20 years. Key is at that age you start to get comfortable. Unless you’re in a occupation that keeps you in shape it is easy to let your muscle tone get away from you. Once you do it is a hard road to get back ahead of it. Add into the mix neck and back surgery and it is even tougher. It is hard to pay attention to posture but  it is a key to not feeling sore the next day. Most of us don’t consider the next day, we should. Best bet is to keep limber, something I don’t do as I should. Sounds like a lot just go ice fishing, but it will help the next day. Get with your doc or maybe go online for some low impact stretching routines, have your cocktails, but make a point of doing the Low Impact stretches before you lay your body down.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2019, 11:19 AM »
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what is your post fishing routine for dealing with soreness?

I'm in my late 40's and I only go out once a week, usually on Saturdays. I try to get home for happy hour around 5pm. I'm usually somewhat sore, back/neck aches and the sort.

I'll take an Aleve right when I get home and jump in a hot shower. Then it's a few beers and either a martini or a a few bourbons. That seems to do the trick.

What do you guys do post fishing when you get home?

TAKE THE ALEVE   ******BEFORE******  YOU GO FISHING!!!!!

I was pinned by a car against a building many years ago so unfortunately I am an expert on the subject of pain management/avoidance...  If you take an anti-inflammatory BEFORE you do something that is likely to trigger soreness, muscle spasms, etc. it stops it before it starts. Think of it like preventing an avalanche vs. trying to stop one that's roaring down the mountain.  I had to figure this out on my own, and when I mention it to doctors they agree that it works.  My question then is "Why don't they tell anyone?" Is it bad for business?

I also agree with the suggestions for good posture, stretching, and exercise, but taking the pill BEFORE fishing, etc. makes a world of difference.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2019, 11:26 AM »
Yep, things change @ 40. Wait'll ya hit 60. Then stuff really changes...

Wait till you hit 70 and the fun really begins, so far for me I don't have those aches and pains that you guys are talking about. I just had a shoulder
              replacement in August and can't wait till there is ice to get out on.

IW

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2019, 11:32 AM »
This started happening to me about 10-12 years ago when I was your age. Neck, back, shoulders, legs and hips.  I read about people with arthritis using Tumeric and I gave it a shot. It has worked well for me.  My wife uses it too now.  She prefers the more expensive pre-mixed stuff that is a little more palatable.  I just order a large bottle online and its much more economical.  I stir 1-2 teaspoons of the powder into a glass with a jigger or so of bottled lemon or lime juice and then add a couple of shakes of black pepper.  Mix it up well and knock it back .  The citrus helps cover up the taste a bit.  Supposedly the capsacin in the pepper facilitates the absorption process.  CBD has been helpful too but far too expensive and not as good as the tumeric for me.  Hope it helps.

What he said, booze and pills just mask things.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2019, 11:35 AM »
What I found out years ago was to figure out why I was getting so sore in the first place and fix that.
One biggie for me was being hunched over sitting on a 5 gallon bucket.
I found that sitting on those Eskimo brand chairs with the triangular seat with a back rest really helped me out.
Good fishing position but also a backrest that promotes good posture.
Occasional stretching also helps.
Works for me anyway.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2019, 11:39 AM »
What I found out years ago was to figure out why I was getting so sore in the first place and fix that.
One biggie for me was being hunched over sitting on a 5 gallon bucket.
I found that sitting on those Eskimo brand chairs with the triangular seat with a back rest really helped me out.
Good fishing position but also a backrest that promotes good posture.
Occasional stretching also helps.
Works for me anyway.

No more buckets for me either.  Coleman camping chair with less sag and a backrest helps quite a bit

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2019, 12:14 PM »
im in my mid 40,s and have had multiple injuries over the years. working out and eating healthy does wonders for the body. Not always popular but giving up alchohol is beneficial. I hurt my back years ago and weight training and keeping a healthy weight really eliminates most pains. I also enjoy a hot tub after ice fishing. Eating the fish we catch creates really healthy meals. I have recently introduced seaweed to my diet as it is supposed to be a superfood. It taste terrible but I choke down a package a day.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2019, 12:14 PM »
At 73, the aches and pains are a way of life. I discovered this stuff this summer and cannot believe how well it works. Lot’s of pro athletes are using it. My wife has also become a real fan. Highly recommended.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2019, 12:59 PM »
A really comfortable chair makes a huge difference.  I gave up the bucket long ago.  I bring the lounge chair when I can for an expected all day fishing trip.  Now I own the Eskimo Quad chair.  That beast of a chair is awesome.  It's gonna get the full field test this season.

Set the flasher up higher for less head looking down.

I also use ice crampons now instead of just ice cleats.  The traction control and grip is totally different.

Take time to stretch and relax while being out there ice fishing to break the stuck in one position posture.

I deal with less post soreness.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2019, 01:37 PM »
im in my mid 40,s and have had multiple injuries over the years. working out and eating healthy does wonders for the body. Not always popular but giving up alchohol is beneficial. I hurt my back years ago and weight training and keeping a healthy weight really eliminates most pains. I also enjoy a hot tub after ice fishing. Eating the fish we catch creates really healthy meals. I have recently introduced seaweed to my diet as it is supposed to be a superfood. It taste terrible but I choke down a package a day.

Agreed, keeping the body healthy is huge. I started eating healthy, working on cardio and got off the liquor a few years ago when I turned 40 and the bulk of the nagging aches and pains are gone. What used to be a hard workout dragging everything out on the ice and setting up isn't a workout anymore so when I get home now, I don't feel like I just worked out.

As for unwinding after a long day on the ice... sitting by the warm fire with the hound sleeping on my feet and some CBDs in their natural form seems to do the trick.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2019, 04:14 PM »
So far in my 60+ years I have been lucky. No major surgeries, ailments or sicknesses to speak of. 90% of the time after a day on the ice I really only need 2 things...a good meal and sleep. Good to go the next day. But the biggest reasons I am able to go as long as I do...dress warm and travel light...that Smitty Sled is the real deal. No more taking 3X the amount of "stuff" I don't need and seldom use. Most lakes I fish are easy walks. But on the occasional "big trips" I take, a couple of the guys bring their sleds or quads making the long walk much easier 😉.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2019, 04:25 PM »
It's really easy to get dehydrated ice fishing.  Every breath you take (especially that you can see) is full of water vapor.  Make sure you stay hydrated, especially before you go fishing, you won't be as sore afterwards.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2019, 04:34 PM »
I’m a bit younger then you old guys in here. But I have a few aches and pains from the broken bones and what not but at the moment for relief I use the CBC products and a hot shower. I quit drinking a few years ago and it actually helped out with the soreness. I really don’t want to be an old man like I see out there in my profession neither. I hurt too much already
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2019, 04:58 PM »
It's really easy to get dehydrated ice fishing.  Every breath you take (especially that you can see) is full of water vapor.  Make sure you stay hydrated, especially before you go fishing, you won't be as sore afterwards.

Agree with staying hydrated - if you have a headache after fishing it's likely from not enough fluids.  Not taking time to drink water while fishing used to be a bad habit of mine, and I feel a lot better if I do.

Like I said in my earlier post, if you know that you'll have aches and soreness after a specific activity take Naproxin, Ibuprophen, etc. BEFORE the activity. Doing that made a huge difference for me.  And don't  make me write "BEFORE" in all caps again!  : )

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2019, 06:48 PM »
The chair for sure, anything else will destroy you.,,

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2019, 07:07 PM »
Agree with staying hydrated - if you have a headache after fishing it's likely from not enough fluids.  Not taking time to drink water while fishing used to be a bad habit of mine, and I feel a lot better if I do.

Like I said in my earlier post, if you know that you'll have aches and soreness after a specific activity take Naproxin, Ibuprophen, etc. BEFORE the activity. Doing that made a huge difference for me.  And don't  make me write "BEFORE" in all caps again!  : )

Forgot about that one. I take a daily dose of Meloxicam for osteoarthritis. It's a mild case and I want to keep it that way.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2019, 07:44 PM »
Pushing 60 , best thing ive used to help. Is good old fashioned marijuana. It really is good medicine.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2019, 07:58 PM »
Pushing 60 , best thing ive used to help. Is good old fashioned marijuana. It really is good medicine.
Works good while on the ice for those pains from the pull out too.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Nov 09, 2019, 08:33 PM »
  stretching before and after , hot shower and Manhattans after a busy day , be 64 not to long from now I’ve noticed I have slowed a bit , the guys I hang  with keep me competitive which helps
 Just had shoulder surgery ,kept me down a week  , then it was 20 eye  shore casting evenings in a row😃 , just glad I’m not climbing in and out of trench boxes laying pipe along with the rest of the site work ,

Offline wlatrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 09, 2019, 08:56 PM »
 At 75 I still enjoy deer hunting and Ice fishing. I have degenerative disc disease and had surgery for spinal stenosis . When I get up in the morning I use the inversion table for 5 min. then I stretch for 10 min. That helps me loosen up .I to take cbd and have recently started taking cbg, both are full spectrum and water soluble. Made a difference in my pain level. Hot shower after a day out also helps.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2019, 12:25 AM »
Agree with the guys saying take the Aleve before you go out. I would take some the day before also. It works much better that way.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2019, 03:00 AM »
When I started wearing NEOS over boots 5he difference was night and day. I have other “comfortable” footwear but being able to wear a better fitting shoe inside of them eliminated back and knee soreness I experienced before.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 10, 2019, 04:22 AM »
In my early 40's I didn't have a problem. I could hike over mountains and through swamps carrying treestands or drag a sled loaded with a days worth of gear and beer without a hitch. Didn't know aches and pains.  That's when I took a desk job. Now at almost 60  it takes a couple days to get over a days fishing! I blame the heart meds and generally sedentary lifestyle. One thing I know is by the end of the season, the aches and pains aren't so bad. Gotta start getting ready for the season in the early fall at the latest.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 10, 2019, 05:26 AM »
Interesting topic and good replies from personal experiences.... :thumbsup:

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 12, 2019, 02:06 PM »
Lifting weights is really good for the body, particularly as you age. You need to stress  the body, both bones and muscles.  It is also great for combatting osteoporosis.  Walking is good but really not enough.  You have to stress the body. 

Offline sam brodrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 12, 2019, 02:54 PM »
i just compulsively go fishing every sec i can. after work til late at night, early before work untill an hour after im supposed to be there(im my own boss)ect.  drag as much crap as you can possibly cram into the biggest sled you can get your hands on. i second the good chair,i got a good hotel room wood chair with padded back and arm rests. do this at least 5 to 7 days a week and in no time you will adapt and stop hurting.
I hate not fishing

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #29 on: Nov 13, 2019, 02:23 PM »
Where's that video about guys lifting auger for exercise? Wait till I join a gym and show up with that auger.  LOL.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.