Author Topic: Warm Hat?  (Read 5513 times)

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Warm Hat?
« on: Nov 02, 2019, 06:38 PM »
I don't like wearing hoods, stocking caps don't block the wind, and having to wear glasses I am not fond of the balaclava I have that is uncomfortable and fogs my glasses.

I usually wear an insulated ball cap that has ear flaps that can be unfolded from inside for 20 degrees and up, but isn't enough for colder days.

If necessary, I'll go to a full Elmer Fudd fur hat with ear flaps, but would appreciate other suggestions for a warm, windproof hat.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Warm Hat?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2019, 06:43 PM »
Stormy chromer is pretty good or rabbit fur hat which is real warm.

Chute82

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2019, 06:46 PM »
Elmer Fudd, otherwise known as Bomber Hat, is the best. Its warm and light and can be set up in a bunch of ways.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2019, 07:09 PM »
Mad Bomber hats are super warm
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2019, 07:16 PM »
Warm hat...I'm mostly a balaclava/stocking cap/hoodie guy BUT those times when it is bitterly cold, at least single digits or below 0 I got one a I can't wear any other time.

Quick back story: My wife had an aunt. Very controlling haughty sort, she hated my guts. Truth told I didn't like her all that much either. OK, I didn't like her at all and never gave in to her abusive nature. She died. Hahahahahaha! Sorry, that's not nice but it's the reality of it. Family was pretty messed up and my wife was called to come get what was left to her by Aunt Betty. Garish, horrible turquoise wool overcoat. Blecccch! Saving grace was the silver fox collar  :whistle:. Wife never wore it (can you blame her?).

Time came she was ready to part with it, "It's going to St. Vinnies...". I said, "You mind if I keep the collar?"  ::)

"What are you going to do with it?", she asks.

"Don't worry about it", I said.

I got my Mom, a pattern/sewing whiz in her day to apply it to a $7 WallyWorld trooper hat. Really cool but I honestly can't wear the thing unless it's really, really cold. And it looks really awesome! Want warm? Go fur!  :woot:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2019, 07:28 PM »
Thanks, and keep the suggestions coming!  I'll look at some Bomber hats, and maybe try a different balaclava.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2019, 07:36 PM »
I have a $25 fleece lined wool stocking cap that is very warm. Best part? My scalp doesn't itch when I wear it.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2019, 08:03 PM »
Musk ox wool, also called Qiviut

The wife of an older friend of mine is a compulsive knitter. She knitted me a hat of Musk Ox wool. It is awesome. Lighter and softer than cashmere but incredibly warm. Google musk ox wool for more information. Very expensive but incomparable and worth it. Would do it again.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2019, 08:12 PM »
Lucky guy. A qiviut stocking cap. Imagine. For your fur bombers and ushankas try glacierwear.com. I may have to show that site to Santa this year..
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2019, 08:17 PM »
That's why I have several different types.  Balaclava, cap, cap w ear flaps, beanie hat, neck gaiter, 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2019, 08:20 PM »
defish,
For keeping warm, look to the surplus stuff from places like Sportsman’s Guide or Glenn’s. The military knows how to keep warm, and often offer a few good solutions every now and then.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2019, 08:32 PM »
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2019, 08:36 PM »
My warmest hat is a rabbit mad bomber.
That thing will cook you out!!!! 
;D

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2019, 08:54 PM »
I've had the rabbit fur bomber hats and they are pretty warm.
For the absolute most bitter cold days I have a real fur hat made from otter fur that my dad bought me for Christmas a few years back.
you wouldn't think of wearing this thing if it was warmer out than -20 degrees Fahrenheit.
Even at -20 or colder if you're walking with the thing on you have to take it off or immediately begin sweating it's just that warm.
Real fur isn't cheap but it is certainly warm!
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 02, 2019, 09:04 PM »
I got one of these probably 8 years ago? Completely windproof and because of that it is very warm, I can't wear it unless super cold out.
https://www.mountainhardwear.com/dome-perginon-1852671.html?dwvar_1852671_variatio nColor=012

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 02, 2019, 09:09 PM »
If you want warm, then you need fur and not that faux fur crap either, get something real.  I wear a coyote fur hat, it’s almost too warm.  It’s perfect for sitting around in the cold, but you’ll sweat if you try to work while wearing one.

https://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Fur+Home+D+cor/F+T+Northern+Classics+Fur+Creations/Fur+Hats/Trooper+Style+Fur+Hats/

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 02, 2019, 09:25 PM »
If you want warm, then you need fur and not that faux fur crap either, get something real.  I wear a coyote fur hat, it’s almost too warm.  It’s perfect for sitting around in the cold, but you’ll sweat if you try to work while wearing one.

https://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Fur+Home+D+cor/F+T+Northern+Classics+Fur+Creations/Fur+Hats/Trooper+Style+Fur+Hats/
Mad Bomber Style with Badger for only the coldest early AM trips out.  Think -20F or worse.  As others have alluded to anything North of that and its too warm but damn glad Ive had it on the most brutal mornings.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 02, 2019, 11:08 PM »
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 03, 2019, 10:32 AM »
Have a rabbit fur mad bomber and you can't wear it until you get set up and sit down!! I tried wearing it blowing snow and it's just too warm!!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2019, 11:12 AM »
Mad Bomber with rabbit fur. Also mittens with rabbit fur. Darned things drive my dog nuts. ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2019, 02:06 PM »
Have a rabbit fur mad bomber and you can't wear it until you get set up and sit down!! I tried wearing it blowing snow and it's just too warm!!!

Even at -30 I can't wear mine when blowing snow.
Too hot!!! ;)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #23 on: Nov 03, 2019, 02:32 PM »
I had a Beaver Trooper style hat made from my own fur, too warm to wear most of the time.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 03, 2019, 02:51 PM »
Thanks guys - several good options that I'm looking into.

Esox - Thanks for the laugh with the back story about your fox trooper hat.  I would guess you have a smile on your face every time you wear it imagining your wife's aunt looking down (or is that looking up???) from the afterlife seeing you wearing her fox for a hat!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 03, 2019, 04:28 PM »
Please realize that natural fur is gauche this season. None, absolutely none, of the major design houses are featuring natural fur in their Fall collections You're been warned.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 03, 2019, 04:39 PM »
Please realize that natural fur is gauche this season. None, absolutely none, of the major design houses are featuring natural fur in their Fall collections You're been warned.
For designers in the know, Qiviut is the only thing worth wearing, certainly if you happen to be a Muskox.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 03, 2019, 04:42 PM »
Best winter hat I’ve ever owned! No more constantly pulling the sides down to cover the ears!  ::)

I actually own 3 of them! One in camo I hunt in, one in black and one in hi-viz yellow.

Has a built in face mask, but the thing is so warm, I only use the mask when it’s near 0*

And you can’t beat the price!  ;)

Where's the FISH?!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Nov 03, 2019, 05:00 PM »
Stormy chromer is pretty good or rabbit fur hat which is real warm.

You're right, you can't beat either of those hats for warmth.

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 03, 2019, 05:15 PM »
Ruttnutt, I use one of those as well but top it with a wool knitted hat on colder days. It is toasty for a very reasonable price. Keeping the neck warm is a key for me.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.